Private forum

If you've any comments on what might make fto-ireland.com a better site, post them here.

Moderator: Moderators

Private forum

Postby CJ » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:45 pm

What do people think about the idea of a private forum acessible by key posters i.e 100+ posts? Is there merit in setting up a forum to allow members discuss topics that they would otherwise prefer not air on a public forum for whatever reason?

Tell me what you think

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustang » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:31 pm

CJ wrote
What do people think about the idea of a private forum acessible by key posters i.e 100+ posts?

I'm not too keen on this approach. Speaking for myself at least, I don't think that members feel to inhibited when it comes to discussing topics. This could also lead to people posting a load of bullsh!t topics to get the magic 100 posts and join the secret club :wink:
For my two cents worth, I would like to see a membership list of active members. There should be no pressure or incentive to post, but looking at the member list there are loads of 0 post are 1 post registered members who do not either log on or post. I would suggest you identify the 'dormant ' accounts, send an administraters message to the these people, give them a few weeks to re-confirm interest in the site and if no reply is obtained close the account.
Just my opinion.

Mustang
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:34 pm

Maybe - As long as it doesn't get over-used!

The idea of the forum should be to promote the FTO in Ireland - and getting new members on board - an elitest approach might give the wrong signals to noobies.

On the other-hand there are a few topics (such as how to break into your car when you've lost your keys) that would need to go on such a forum.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:31 pm

I'm not too keen on this approach. Speaking for myself at least, I don't think that members feel to inhibited when it comes to discussing topics. This could also lead to people posting a load of bullsh!t topics to get the magic 100 posts and join the secret club

Point taken. I'm not trying to alianate anyone by proposing a private forum, access could be by invite only rather than post driven to dissuade from posting for the sake of it, anyway MfFTO has that one all tied up ;) I think we all have a fair idea who is active on the forums and who isn't, the idea of such a forum would be to allow these members to safely discuss topics such as insurance or security in an environment that doesn't get unwanted attention.

There should be no pressure or incentive to post, but looking at the member list there are loads of 0 post are 1 post registered members who do not either log on or post. I would suggest you identify the 'dormant ' accounts, send an administraters message to the these people, give them a few weeks to re-confirm interest in the site and if no reply is obtained close the account.

I did propose this some time back but it was met with some opposition, I'm happy to bring it back up for discussion if people feel its of merit.

Maybe - As long as it doesn't get over-used!

It would be tightly moderated.

The idea of the forum should be to promote the FTO in Ireland - and getting new members on board - an elitest approach might give the wrong signals to noobies.

Agreed, see my comments above.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustang » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:51 pm

MfFTO wrote
topics (such as how to break into your car when you've lost your keys)

:wink: :wink: :wink: We know what you mean. Based on some of your recent posts, sounds like you a familiar with this procedure, and with those who would benefit from this knowledge :)

CJ & MfFTO wrote

Quote:

Agreed, see my comments above.

I agree. I'm not sure exactly how you would implement this, but it's important not to alienate people especially potential newcomers. Don't get me wrong I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea, I guess I'm having some difficulty with the whole concept -what type of topic would we discuss? I take MfFTO's point about security, but would there be enough of this type topic, to warrant another (restricted access) forum?
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:04 pm

Mustang wrote: I guess I'm having some difficulty with the whole concept -what type of topic would we discuss? I take MfFTO's point about security, but would there be enough of this type topic, to warrant another (restricted access) forum?

I can think of several more (FTO related) topics that I wouldn't discuss on an open forum and though many of them revolve around security, there are some other little nuggets of info that could not be discussed openly.

Special offers (Splitrims/Camskill etc) could also be posted on this forum.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby steelroe » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:23 pm

How about setting it up so that if someone has not posted for a given length of time a mail is sent out informing the relevant account holder that their account will be deleted withing say "7" days if no further posts are made

Just a suggestion
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to Suggestions, announcements and updates