Couriering to Blackrock and wider area......?

Use this forum to discuss anything and everything non-FTO related

Moderator: Moderators

Couriering to Blackrock and wider area......?

Postby soc » Fri May 27, 2005 2:09 pm

... then don't use DHL - they sub contract out to a bunch of jokers who don't leave any notice after trying to deliver when no-one's home! Just found out the wireless router I've been waiting on has been "delivery attempted" twice now but no note. And a few weeks back all the car parts I got from UK for golf were "delivery attempted" 4 times and no note! Bloody wasters!
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Couriering to Blackrock and wider area......?

Postby CJ » Fri May 27, 2005 3:33 pm

shane wrote:wireless router

Which one did you get out of interest? I've got wireless on the brain at the moment, I've recently set up an enterprise solution based on RADIUS authorisation and Active Directory authentication using secure certificates, a bit overkill for a home wireless setup you could say ;)

Hint: Go WPA2-PSK encryption with MAC filtering, you'd be surrprised at the amount of people that go 'war-driving'.....

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Couriering to Blackrock and wider area......?

Postby soc » Fri May 27, 2005 5:22 pm

CJ wrote:
shane wrote:wireless router

Which one did you get out of interest? I've got wireless on the brain at the moment, I've recently set up an enterprise solution based on RADIUS authorisation and Active Directory authentication using secure certificates, a bit overkill for a home wireless setup you could say ;)

I got a Linksys from www.elara.ie
http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsful ... ctID=86320

You running windows active directory with radius - don't know much about radius to be honest. Don't know much about windows any more for that matter :) Running SuSE with Sun's JDS (gnome) desktop.

Hint: Go WPA2-PSK encryption with MAC filtering, you'd be surrprised at the amount of people that go 'war-driving'.....

CJ

I don't know much about the security side of things - gonna have to do some reading but AFAIK the router has a hardware firewall and supports 128bit WEP encryption as well as MAC filtering - so I reckon I'll run with all 3.

By "war-diving" do you mean hacking? Or piggy backing on the wireless connection? Won't WEP encryption and MAC filtering take care of that?
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Fri May 27, 2005 5:37 pm

Yeah, Linksys make good APs, they're the home user end of Cisco's wireless business. One thing I suggest you do is get the latest fiirmware onto the unit.
Use WPA encryption instead of WEP, WEP is easily cracked. Wardriving is a bit sad tbh, although I've done it myself in the local business park purely from a security standpoint!

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Fri May 27, 2005 6:14 pm

CJ wrote:Yeah, Linksys make good APs, they're the home user end of Cisco's wireless business. One thing I suggest you do is get the latest fiirmware onto the unit.
Use WPA encryption instead of WEP, WEP is easily cracked. Wardriving is a bit sad tbh, although I've done it myself in the local business park purely from a security standpoint!

CJ

cheers CJ, I'll have a sniff around the linksys website for the latest firmware tonight
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to Off Topic