Insuring a fresh import on the VIN plate

Compare and discuss insurance quotes here (Registered users only)

Moderator: Moderators

Insuring a fresh import on the VIN plate

Postby CJ » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:40 pm

With the VR-4 winging (or more to the point, sailing) its way over from Japan, I need to consider getting it insured on the VIN plate in an effort to drive it out of the port to the VRO. I'm currently with Quinn and while they're cheap and cheerful, I have a feeling that they're not gonna entertain me in terms of temporarily insuring on the VIN plate.

Have any QD customers out there been in a similar situation? If so, I'd be interested to hear how you got on. I have the option of hiring someone to trailer the car out of the port but would rather not have to pay for the luxury! We'll be in the same situation when the FTO hits dry land (still stuck in Japan 3 weeks after the purchase :roll:)

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dragonheart » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:19 pm

I tried ringing loads of companies to insure me under Jap reg while my FTO was coming in and no company I rang would do it, said it had to be on Irish plates. Had to wait until the VRT was paid and she was registered before I could get it insured, but you know insurance companies, different story for everybody.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Bernard » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:25 pm

I temporarily transferred my insurance onto the FTO while it was still on english plates when I first brought it in... granted it wasn't on the vin but it goes to show it's worth asking.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:11 pm

Have insured quite a few Jap imports via their VIN before paying VRT and registering - never had any issues and its been with a few insurance companies.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Insuring a fresh import on the VIN plate

Postby Daz » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:11 pm

Have you got a mate with trade plates????

He could drive it away for you.

Daz...
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Postby Muad_dib77 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:36 pm

Does it need to be insured if it's towed? I'd be happy to tie a rope to the back of the FTO and drag you about the place for a bit..
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby Bernard » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:38 pm

Muad_dib77 wrote:Does it need to be insured if it's towed? I'd be happy to tie a rope to the back of the FTO and drag you about the place for a bit..

Can you tow an automatic?
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Muad_dib77 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:44 pm

ooh that's right - that could be an issue... anyway - if you need an extra pair of hands cj I'm a phone call away..towing or otherwise.
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby CJ » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:24 pm

Bernard wrote:Can you tow an automatic?

You can tow a FWD auto @ 30mph over a short distance but you can't tow a 4WD auto - much better to get all four wheels up on a trailer.

I'll give that shower up at QD a ring this week to see what they have to say...

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustang » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:23 pm

CJ,
If it's an issue, and assuming you'll be taking the day off work anyway. I would suggest the following course of action. Get a lift down to the port, and provided you have all the necessary documentation (RF100 or whatever it's called, deregistration cert and english translation, etc), from whoever is doing the clearance for you. You can then simpley take the paper work, get a lift to the nearest VRO, register the car, pick up a set of plates, back to the port, fit plates, ring QD, drive home.
if there's a vro at the port this process would obviously be a lot more simple, not sure if there is. Also you need to provide your PPS no. when registering the car (regardless of payment method).
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:30 pm

Mustang wrote:You can then simpley take the paper work, get a lift to the nearest VRO, register the car, pick up a set of plates, back to the port, fit plates, ring QD, drive home.

Good option Mustang, I could be in trouble if the VRO request to see the car (IIRC anything above 10k in value). Worth calling them to find out.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustang » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:45 pm

CJ wrote:
Mustang wrote:You can then simpley take the paper work, get a lift to the nearest VRO, register the car, pick up a set of plates, back to the port, fit plates, ring QD, drive home.

Good option Mustang, I could be in trouble if the VRO request to see the car (IIRC anything above 10k in value). Worth calling them to find out.

CJ

CJ, A revenue official will inspect the car at arrival in the port, in order for it to "clear customs" This is the point at which you pay the import duty and VAT. As part of that inspection they partially complete the official registration document (again I think this is called the RF100). On that they will write in the "statistical code" this will determine the VRT amount you pay (the code can be seen when obtaining a VRT quote online). My understanding is that, as the car has already been inspected by a revenue official, and they have effectively determined the VRT amount by vertue of the stat code. All they have to do at the VRO is process the paper work, as to inspect the car agin would be a duplication of effort (not unheard of in the cival service admittedly :lol: ). It has been my limited experience that they do not inspect jap imports at the VRO. But you'd obviously need clarification on the issue. (Obviuosly it's a different story is you import from the UK, etc, as there would not have been any prior inspection by revenue at point of entry to the country.)
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:14 pm

Mustang wrote:
CJ wrote:

CJ

CJ, A revenue official will inspect the car at arrival in the port, in order for it to "clear customs" This is the point at which you pay the import duty and VAT. As part of that inspection they partially complete the official registration document (again I think this is called the RF100). On that they will write in the "statistical code" this will determine the VRT amount you pay (the code can be seen when obtaining a VRT quote online). My understanding is that, as the car has already been inspected by a revenue official, and they have effectively determined the VRT amount by vertue of the stat code. All they have to do at the VRO is process the paper work, as to inspect the car agin would be a duplication of effort (not unheard of in the cival service admittedly :lol: ). It has been my limited experience that they do not inspect jap imports at the VRO. But you'd obviously need clarification on the issue. (Obviuosly it's a different story is you import from the UK, etc, as there would not have been any prior inspection by revenue at point of entry to the country.)

I've never had anyone view an import at the VRO. Thats not to say they don't - but I'd say its fairly unlikely.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:56 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:I've never had anyone view an import at the VRO. Thats not to say they don't - but I'd say its fairly unlikely.

I think (as Mustang pointed out) that the VRO only inspect vehicles already regisered in Europe that are worth 10k or more, looks like I'm safe on the Jap front.

Rang Quinn this afternoon, they asked me if I'd already bought the car, I said 'No, not as such', at that point, they refused to quote me saying that under no circumstances do they insure that model. I then told the rep that I had in fact purchased the car and I was awaiting delivery (I didn't want to start mentioning 'imports'). Things changed at this point, if you say that you've purchased that car they the will quote you - take note folks.

Bottom line is that I'll be paying 900 euro per year, i.e. 150 up on the FTO (FC, windscreen cover), there was no extra charge to add the missus as a named driver. I was expecting the quote to be less but I probably shouldn't be complaining!

I also asked whats the story with insuring the car on the VIN, surprisingly they said it wasn't a problem in the short term. Problem sorted....

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Motor Insurance