i wana buy an fto !! help please

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

i wana buy an fto !! help please

Postby ronbyrne » Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:01 pm

:shock: i live in dublin, have got it into my head to buy an fto or alfa romeo, something with character you know, i want advice or help in testing in checking a few out and also advice on insurance quotes, i currently have a 520i costs 800 euro but i am quoted 1800 for fto, is that ok ? alfa 156 2ltr only 860 euro, i like the fto a bit mad ( i also own a kawasaki 500 h1 ) if anyone know what that is .

give me a ca ll with any advice or help

cheers

ron byrne
086 3369804
ronbyrne

Postby CJ » Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:32 am

Hi Ron

Welcome to the forums!

Don't buy an alfa, but if you do, consider the GTV 3L or the 156 GTA, both decent cars in their own right. The rest of the Alfa range just isn't worth looking at. In saying that, you'll get bags more performance for your money if you spend just a few grand on an FTO ;)

You might find the two following threads useful in terms of insurance and buying:

http://www.fto-ireland.com/forum/phpBB2 ... =insurance

http://www.fto-ireland.com/forum/phpBB2 ... .php?t=227

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to post them here.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: i wana buy an fto !! help please

Postby soc » Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:24 am

ronbyrne wrote::shock: i live in dublin, have got it into my head to buy an fto or alfa romeo,

Hey,

Like Ciaran I'm on my second FTO - changed from the 1.8lt GS to a 2.0lt GR. And like you I considered an alfa when I was changing (well actually my finacé kinda pushed me that way).

Personally I really like the look of the 156 (as long as it has 16/17's and the side skirts) and they are pretty nice inside, especially with leather. The 2.0lt has good performance and sounds great for a 4 cylinder car. BUT (here it comes), have a look around, how many do you see every day?? And why do you think they have decreciated so much? Ok so you can pick up a low(ish) milage 00 reg for close to 10K euro which might seem like a good deal until..... (a) you realise you have to use alfa parts for all repairs (big bucks) & (b) things start to fall apart (and this is guaranteed)!! IThe advice from my mechanic (who loves alfa romeo's) was "great car but not if you own it"!!! Here's a good idea of the thought that (didn't) go into the design of the 156... apparently the airbox for the 156 is located close to the passenger front wheel - and because it is so low these cars suffer a lot from water damage to the engine from people driving through small puddles!!!

All the above pretty much applies in general to all alfa's and the GTV's I looked at were either way too expensive (25K+) or very crap and the 3.0lt is very expensive to maintain!

So what about the FTO???? Best combination of looks, handling and performance this side of 50K euro! Looks great, pretty rare, handles fantastic, performance is great and there is a superb network of owners in ireland and the UK as well as cheap parts suppliers so maintenance is pretty hassle free. Believe me the FTO will humble most other cars in real world performance. And all this for somewhere for 5-8K euro depending on condition, gearbox (manuals are more expensive) and mods............

As for insurance, I'm 29 with 4 years NCB (which I just go back cause had one accident 4 yrs ago) and I'm paying 1700 tpft so 1800 doesn't sound too bad. :)
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby mark » Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:35 pm

Yep go for an fto. alfa's are lovely cars visually, but the old italian engineering is not the maywest. also they have a problem as they tend to burn a lot of oil and the oil warning lights don't always come on.you would need to check the levels every couple of days!
a mate of mine has one and i heard the above from a dealer so we had a look in his engine and low and behold there was no oil in the engine! he was lucky not to lose it.
the decision is yours!
mark
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Return to General FTO Discussion