Opinions please

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

Opinions please

Postby CJ » Thu May 22, 2003 5:07 pm

This site has been running for a few months now, and although we do get a good few visitors, I think its time to do some promotion with a view to building up the community. I had high hope of arranging a few meets and that type of thing but without the numbers to back it up it sometimes dosn't feel worthwhile at times. I've been up to my eyes in work for a month or two so I havn't had as much time as I would have liked to spend on organisation.

That said, I'm looking for some ideas off you guys with regard to generating additional interest in the community. I was thinking of getting some car stickers done up, but some people might not want to emblazon 'fto-ireland.com' on their windscreen :)
(If anyone can get this done cheaply, let me know!)

The fact remains that the majority of FTO owners are not as passionate about their car as we are and just consider it a half decent mode of transport. It has been mentioned that there are increasing numbers of older FTO drivers, its probably fair to say that most of these people have no intesest getting together with us youngfla's for a tyre-kicking session ;)

Its fair to say that the target audience should be sub 35 (NOI to any over 35's!) who are generally more car\Internet orientated.

Anyway, tell me what you think, all comments\flames\slaggings taken on board ;)

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby keville » Thu May 22, 2003 6:05 pm

Ciaran,
I think the sticker for the windscreen is a good idea at least it will get the website a bit of publicity, who know's even encourage people to purchase one of these beauties. God I hope your wrong tell me that there aren't people out there who think the FTO is half decent :?:
ITS THE DOGS frolicks :P

Keville
keville
Octane king
Octane king

Postby CJ » Thu May 22, 2003 9:48 pm

keville wrote:God I hope your wrong tell me that there aren't people out there who think the FTO is half decent :?:
ITS THE DOGS frolicks :P Keville

Well we know its the dogs but I can't help but think that the 40 or 50 somethings don't have the same enthusiasm about the FTO that we have!

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Fri May 23, 2003 10:35 am

CJ wrote:Well we know its the dogs but I can't help but think that the 40 or 50 somethings don't have the same enthusiasm about the FTO that we have!

Ciaran

At the end of the day the FTO is a young persons car - it's not the most comfortable car I've ever driven and it has it's fair share of rattles (which can get very annoying) but it's amazing to drive (even the GS once it gets going) and it looks amazing too.

Anyway I reckon it will always be a fairly small select group of people that have a big interest for a couple of reasons:

1) Insurance is keeping a lot of drivers from getting one of these beauties
2) We've a pretty small base to begin with compared to the UK.
3) There doesn't seem to be that many on the roads in Ireland - I hardly ever see any, probably only seen 2 in the last month

Try getting a stand at some of the UK and Irish car shows and show some cars... I'd say Daz's and Dave's car would look good (as long as Dave lowers his :-) ) That way we might get more visibility to other car drivers although I'm not sure we really want the "boy racer" getting interested! Just a shot in the dark....
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Fri May 23, 2003 10:53 am

1) Insurance is keeping a lot of drivers from getting one of these beauties
2) We've a pretty small base to begin with compared to the UK.
3) There doesn't seem to be that many on the roads in Ireland - I hardly ever see any, probably only seen 2 in the last month

Try getting a stand at some of the UK and Irish car shows and show some cars... I'd say Daz's and Dave's car would look good (as long as Dave lowers his ) That way we might get more visibility to other car drivers although I'm not sure we really want the "boy racer" getting interested! Just a shot in the dark

I though of point 1 and 2 after I had posted the message which has a lot to do with the community being small. I agree about the boy racer idea, I HATE the stereotypical antics of lads in Micras and Puntos and I would hate to think of the FTO being viewed in the same light. That said, its not the cheapest car to insure\modify\run so I reckon we should be safe for another while anyway. For me, thats one of the big plus points of this car, theres little chance of it crossing over to the Micra brigade.

On a diferent topic, I'm off on the raz to Galway this weekend so keep an eye out on the N4\N6 for a silver GPX deperately trying overtake anything below 70MPH!

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Fri May 23, 2003 11:48 am

Oi harsh comment about the lowering... but it's true! just going off the point here a little what are the best springs to get and how easy/hard is it to do it myself?

back to the point I wouldn't mind going to one or two of the shows and plastering my baby with some fto-ireland stuff!
i might be able to get a couple of us in at the next 100% modified shows coming up in the summer, i haven't heard of any as yet but when i do i'll let ye know! it shouldn't be a problem compared to some of the 206's and saxo's that managed to get into 100% modified in the RDS!

Dave
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Fri May 23, 2003 1:28 pm

Dave wrote:just going off the point here a little what are the best springs to get and how easy/hard is it to do it myself?

back to the point I wouldn't mind going to one or two of the shows and plastering my baby with some fto-ireland stuff!
i might be able to get a couple of us in at the next 100% modified shows coming up in the summer, i haven't heard of any as yet but when i do i'll let ye know! it shouldn't be a problem compared to some of the 206's and saxo's that managed to get into 100% modified in the RDS!

Dave

Dave, get the Apex springs from Camskill , they're one of the best sets you can get for the money (£99)

Don't get me wrong here but I'm personnaly not a big fan of these car shows as they tend to attract boy racers in their badly modified shopping trollies. I didn't go to the last one (for the above reason) but I wouldn't be averse to heading along as a group. Lets see how it goes next time around.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Fri May 23, 2003 2:10 pm

Jesus 99stg isn't bad is it, how difficult are they to fit?

i totally agree with you aswell about them shows but which ever show you go to there is always going to that eliment of suped up micra boy racers, but to get some "publicity" that may be the only option available to us. i know toyota ireland had a section to one side, so i wouldn't see why we couldn't do the same! and i would reckon we could attract a few other FTO owners.... but i don't think there's that many fto nuts around these days apart from those of us on here!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Fri May 23, 2003 2:33 pm

Dave wrote:Jesus 99stg isn't bad is it, how difficult are they to fit?

i totally agree with you aswell about them shows but which ever show you go to there is always going to that eliment of suped up micra boy racers, but to get some "publicity" that may be the only option available to us. i know toyota ireland had a section to one side, so i wouldn't see why we couldn't do the same! and i would reckon we could attract a few other FTO owners.... but i don't think there's that many fto nuts around these days apart from those of us on here!

As regards the springs, it depends how brave you are! You'll need a spring compressor which needs to be handled with care; if the spring gets loose, it could literally take your head off. Otherwise, any mechanic should be able to do the job in an hour or two.

Lets find out when the next show is on and we can do a bit of homework as regards whats required. I agree, it would be a good opportunity to pass out some flyers and generally raise awareness.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Fri May 23, 2003 2:57 pm

i think i'll leave the fitting to a mechanic!
i'll have a look into the next show that's coming up, the guy that organises them is insured with us so we should be able to get something organised!

dave
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Fri May 23, 2003 3:14 pm

Dave wrote:i think i'll leave the fitting to a mechanic!
i'll have a look into the next show that's coming up, the guy that organises them is insured with us so we should be able to get something organised!

dave

I'd see if a local kwikfit or advance would do the spring swop for you cause they can then make sure the wheel alignment is correct as well.

As for the springs - I have camskills APEX springs - good spring, comfotable and handling improves but the front doesn't lower as much as with a GPX (thanks to less engine weight). As an alternative you would try Demon Tweeks - they are doing springs from Whiteline (in Oz) which lower the front and rear up to 50mm. Might get a better drop on the front with these springs.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby keville » Wed May 28, 2003 5:15 pm

Hello lads,

Would definately be interested in meeting up with you guys at a show, I have never met another owner it would be nice to get a look at the gpx to see the difference between that and the gr

Was at the last show in the rds before i got the fto and i must say the 10 (or there about)subaru's had a nice corner to themselves

keville
keville
Octane king
Octane king

Postby Daz » Thu May 29, 2003 8:34 pm

[quote="Dave"]Jesus 99stg isn't bad is it, how difficult are they to fit?quote]

Not difficult at all, i did my own and it took me about 2 hours, all you need is spring clamps, axel stands and the usual tools(spanners socketset ect..)
if you like, if you wana try it yourself, i'll give you a hand.

Daz...
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Re: Opinions please

Postby Daz » Fri May 30, 2003 3:04 am

Well just a few ideas

have you seen the owners club stickers over in England, maybe you could do something similar to that with the web address on, something across the windscreen from a personal point is something i wouldn't do, Also maybe contact some of the car mags like banzi or jap performance and if really necessary the "other ones" like fast car and max power ect as some of these mags list owners clubs, also maybe an ad in the buy and sell in the motoring section. Yes as said one of the modified shows, once we get our own stand and not just thrown in any old way.

Well thats just a few ideas anyway.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz

Postby Dave » Fri May 30, 2003 8:17 am

cheers for that daz i might take you on that offer...
as for some sort of sticker, there are a couple of pix where the owner club stickers are in the small triangular window just beside the doors, not too noticeable, but this may not be what we are looking for...
i wouldn't be too keen on getting something in max power, we'd have all the sovergn rings and nike caps around!!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Opinions please

Postby CJ » Fri May 30, 2003 9:58 am

Daz wrote:Well just a few ideas

have you seen the owners club stickers over in England, maybe you could do something similar to that with the web address on, something across the windscreen from a personal point is something i wouldn't do, Also maybe contact some of the car mags like banzi or jap performance and if really necessary the "other ones" like fast car and max power ect as some of these mags list owners clubs, also maybe an ad in the buy and sell in the motoring section. Yes as said one of the modified shows, once we get our own stand and not just thrown in any old way.

Well thats just a few ideas anyway.

I'm in the process of getting some high level windcreen stickers made up in the UK, they will be in white and will be similar to the www.fto-ireland.com graphic at the top of the screen. I'm only get 10 done up at the moment as they are setting me back about 4 quid each. More to follow on this.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to General FTO Discussion