NCT in da mornin'

Discuss issues related to the NCT \ MOT

Moderator: Moderators

Re: NCT in da mornin'

Postby goz_83 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:15 pm

Back at Nct now. Half filled tank. Emptied twice the needed redex into it. I gave her a good run for about 20 minutes, mostly in 3rd gear and hitting mivec a good bit too. The temp gauge went from cold to medium, which is the first time I've seen the gauge moving. Never drive it that hard.

And I've been here 10 minutes and they haven't even moved my car to the ready area :x
I'm thinking it'll be stone cold by the time they move it.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:28 pm

So, the emissions were great. Lambda reading at 1.00 and the other readings were good too.

BUT.....This new HID rule just hit me too. I knew nothing about it until I seen Kace's post in the early hours of the morning. How can this be sorted? Do the GPvRs have HID lenses? Is it not standard? Are they even allowed fail a car if it had factory HID installed?

Also there was corrosion on the offside front brake line, which needs replacing. I don't mind the brake line, but the HID might be a load of hassle. What would be the best way of dealing with this?
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:50 pm

Answer is to spend a few mins swapping back the regular bulbs before the NCT. That is what I intend to do.

If I had a GPVR I would argue that the car was not manufactured with HID washers so therefore they are not required.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Sebastian » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:11 pm

is there a link to the new applied ''law'' ?
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby rmcg_2011 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:54 pm

This is a new one to me too. i have the bumper due off in the next few days to change all bulbs with nct in couple weeks. any ideas ?! is there any way to get around this at all ? when the bumper goes back on is there any way to leave it sit so that there is easy access to just change without having to take it off again ?
rmcg_2011
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby Kace » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:21 pm

Sebastian wrote:is there a link to the new applied ''law'' ?

Go to NCTS.ie and in the Testing section this is all explained on p47 of the NCT Manual.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby optical illusion » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:02 pm

They wouldn't want to start any of that sh1t with me the next time I have to NCT because I will go b1tch crazy on them.

Anyone have any trouble with getting their Vr tested?
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:47 pm

And so the saga continues :evil:

Lights passed and they failed the brake line again. The tester that tested my car originally wasn't there. This other eijet failed the brake line on the driver front, saying that nothing had bee done. What they call advanced corrosion, everyone else seems to call very light rust. I feel like going up there with an AK-47 and letting off a few rounds. I brought the car straight back down to the mechanic I know in Atlas and asked him to look at it. He is convinced they just want to fail my car and said that the lines were perfectly fine. He says they can be taken out and cleaned, because the problem is that they just look a bit rusted, but they are not corroded and certainly not at an advanced stage of corrosion. His advice is to let the retest date expire and put it through a different centre, because the lines are not easy to access and would cost around €200 in labour. I don't know what to do. I'm afraid that if I let the retest expire, that they might find some other imaginary problem.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Sebastian » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:23 pm

clean and paint the yokes if they are not damaged
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby rmcg_2011 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:05 am

What did you do to get the lights passed ? just lucky this time or did you change them ?
rmcg_2011
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby goz_83 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:02 pm

rmcg_2011 wrote:What did you do to get the lights passed ? just lucky this time or did you change them ?

Had to get them changed out
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby rmcg_2011 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:29 pm

excuse my ignorance on this but did you have to change out your whole lights or can you put a standard non hid bulb into the light as is and just change back after ?
rmcg_2011
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby goz_83 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:32 pm

rmcg_2011 wrote:excuse my ignorance on this but did you have to change out your whole lights or can you put a standard non hid bulb into the light as is and just change back after ?

The whole thing had to come out. It would have been possible to disconnect the HID kit and run a standard H7 fitting to the headlight unit, but Atlas just removed the whole kit and replaced with standard fittings.

It looks like the HID kit will be left out for now, because I reckon I will wait for the retest date to expire and put it through again. Their "advanced corrosion" is a load of sh1te. I had another mechanic look at it earlier and he was astonished that they were failing the car on what he described as "tanning". Everything else passed with flying colours.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby mivecrx » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:00 pm

The NCT centers have gotten very harsh when it comes to brakes lines, it's an easy fail that's not really arguable because it's a very important part and any rust can be considered dangerous. You could clean them up a bit but don't paint them or they will fail it on not being able to see the repair.
mivecrx
Have you seen my FTO tattoo?
Have you seen my FTO tattoo?

Previous

Return to NCT \ MOT