Toyota Corolla Levin

A forum dedicated to quick Japanese motors

Moderator: Moderators

Toyota Corolla Levin

Postby Mustang » Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:31 pm

Can someone explain this to me :?: The levin is a two door corolla, that looks even duller (inside & out) than the standard corolla. It has a 1.6 engine. But dealers here are asking an absolute fortune for them. Is this some kind of cartel-type arrangement to falsely over inflate prices, or is there something special about this car that I'm just missing :?:

Last edited by Mustang on Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Mon Jul 26, 2004 12:09 pm

Pre 97's can look pretty dull - however post 97's with the supercharged 1.6 20 valve would be a civic type R competitor - the higher spec models tend to have upgraded suspension/brakes, sports interior etc.
Still look terrible value for money when compared to an FTO - but you only need to look at the money thats still been asked for 86-88 RWD Corolla GT coupes to see why this later day GT coupe is comanding these prices. Its also a matter of insurance - Why do you think a 98 Civic Type R is generally 2K more expensive than a similar Integra Type R (a better car)?? - yip! - Insurance - The Civic Type R costs less to insure - they are more in demand - hence more expensive.

Ireland is a peculiar market in comparison to the UK. Take my example - I own a '98 RS spec Mazda Roadster - imported for 14.5K Euros this year - also brought in the '95 FTO GPX this year - cost me 8.5K Euros --

However in the UK both of these models would be competing on price at in or around 7-8K STG - which IMO is a far more accurate valuation on these cars. The UK market is a far more mature market that values cars according to their condition (not year) and type of model.

BTW - a '97 Levin goes for between 10-11K Euros in Ireland - not far off Integra Type R money (IMO a better car) but still cheaper than a Civic Type R (Which has similar performance,handling,braking though lacking in Image).

The FTO is vastly better value than either Type R/Levin if you can get reasonable insurance. If you ask me everything looks like bad value when you compare it against Irish priced FTO's.

My last car (Ford Racing Puma) cost me 27K - and though it was an excellent car - I still prefer driving my FTO - better performance/ looks etc - all at a 1/3 of the price
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:19 pm

Comprehensive answer :!:
'Supercharged' was the bit that I was missing....interesting :!:
Still dull looking IMO, especially compared to an integra, FTO, prelude, MR2, etc.
Saw a '97 for sale €13k which I thought was harsh.

you only need to look at the money thats still been asked for 86-88 RWD Corolla GT coupes

The original corolla twin cam’s are still making big money, but surely a lot of that is to do with the rally connection, and the fact that it’s rear wheel drive.

- Why do you think a 98 Civic Type R is generally 2K more expensive than a similar Integra Type R (a better car)?? - yip! - Insurance - The Civic Type R costs less to insure - they are more in demand - hence more expensive.

The insurance situation, and the way it can influence resale values is annoying. As far as I can see a similar situation did exist with the FTO, not so sure anymore. At one stage people were charging a premium for 1.8’s under the premise of cheaper insurance. However that does not appear to be the case, as most companies rate all FTO models the same….another crazy situation typical of the Irish insurance market.

. The UK market is a far more mature market that values cars according to their condition (not year) and type of model.

I agree, the UK market, to my mind, is a lot more mature, straight forward and clear cut. Of course the age of the car matters but condition is the important deciding factor there. Also resale value, rates of depreciation, running costs, etc are available in nearly all the motoring mags, so it’s very easy to find out (ball park) what something is realistically worth. Whereas here it’s a case of look up the buy and sell and see what people are asking – not always the best of guides.
The other annoying trend here is the car ‘age snobbery’. The attitude that if a car is about three or more years old, it’s practically worthless!

End of rant......for now.

Mustang
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:55 pm

Mustang wrote:The other annoying trend here is the car ‘age snobbery’. The attitude that if a car is about three or more years old, it’s practically worthless!

Agreed, we make a big deal about a cars age over here, in saying that, I have yet to park my 10 year old GPX beside a better looking '04 car, even 10 years on the FTO wipes the floor with newer motors in the looks department, not to mention in the performance stakes (OK, so I'm biased :))

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustang » Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:40 pm

Mustang wrote
Can someone explain this to me The levin is a two door corolla, that looks even duller (inside & out) than the standard corolla.

I might have been a bit quick to judge the levin :roll: Saw a black one last night and they do look a lot better in the flesh. Not pretty and not particularly stylish, but mean and purposeful.
I think it's a case of the photo and colour (white in this case) which I had seen, letting the car down.
With insurance and tax the way they are, I guess a fast 1.6L car makes a whole lot of sense.
Still pricey though IMO, but I guess a lot of that is due to VRT :evil:

Mustang (eating humble pie)
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:36 pm

Theres a guy driving a white Levin down here in Limerick at the moment - it has been modified to the hilt - looks like a mini Skyline - coilovers - manifold - full RSR exhaust etc. Got chating to him a few weeks ago about the car - think he's selling it at the moment.

They can look v well with the right kit - and you get a lot of performance for a 1.6 - if I was 10years younger and had a problem getting insurance - then I'd seriously consider a Levin.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:51 pm

There's two knocking around Ennis at the moment one white, one black. Think it looks much better in black.

Myfeckinfto wrote
- if I was 10years younger and had a problem getting insurance - then I'd seriously consider a Levin.

If I could insure it as a 1.6 corolla, I'd nearly consider it now :!: (nearly)

BTW MFFTO, that GR you used to own. Was that a red 95 CE reg by any chance? And if so did you sell it locally?

Mustan
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:01 pm

Mustang wrote:If I could insure it as a 1.6 corolla, I'd nearly consider it now :!: (nearly)

BTW MFFTO, that GR you used to own. Was that a red 95 CE reg by any chance? And if so did you sell it locally?

Mustang

Mustang - You can insure it as a 1.6 Corolla AFAIK - really just depends on the log book - but the guy I know has it insured as such.

The GR I owned was a D Reg - bought with approx 20K miles on the clock - previous owner had a row with the garage in Dublin and it had been put in storage for a couple of years - He had paid around 22K Irish punts for the car - drove it for a couple of thousand miles - then had a problem with the Tip box - took the garage to court - hence garage held onto car for 2 years while it got sorted and I got a mint FTO for 10K Euros. :lol:

The Red CE reg that used to hang around Ennis is a GPX - very clean car - had a set of 17's on it - spoke to the guy on a number of occassions - nice fella - think he changed to an EVO AFAIK.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:34 am

Myfeckinfto wrote

Mustang - You can insure it as a 1.6 Corolla AFAIK - really just depends on the log book - but the guy I know has it insured as such.

Maybe you can insure it as a 1.6 corolla. I'm tempted to ring my crowd for a quote. :) Given that I am paying almost exactly double to insure my FTO than I was to insure my 1.6 primera. :x As regards the issue of a log book, I have to disagree, to my mind that is an urban legend.
You see these adds in the B&S, Sierra cosworth....only 2L on log book.
Starlet GT turbo.......no turbo on log book, etc. etc.
And I'm sure this is true....But

Insurance companies do not look at vehicle registration certs or the old tax book, as it was. They either have it rated as a performance car (on their system) or not. BTW they do not all use the same vehicle groupings (like they do in the UK). :?

If anyone has first hand experience to prove me wrong I would love know.

I got a mint FTO for 10K Euros.

Nice one :!:

The Red CE reg that used to hang around Ennis is a GPX - very clean car - had a set of 17's on it - spoke to the guy on a number of occassions - nice fella - think he changed to an EVO AFAIK.

Sounds about right. I have not seen the car around for a long time now, just thought it might have been yours.

BTW we really should meet up for some tyre kicking :wink:

Mustang
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Speedyboy » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:00 am

BTW we really should meet up for some tyre kicking

I might take a spin down aswell if it was on a weekend im free let me know
Wavin - Unrivalled European supplier of plastic pipe systems
Speedyboy
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:54 pm

WooHoo!

The factions are starting to appear - Now we have a "WOTS FTO" club (West Of The Shannon) meet. We may even let some of the Limerick lads join if they can prove they've spent 50% of their time on the "West Bank"! :D
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:32 am

Mustang wrote
Maybe you can insure it as a 1.6 corolla. I'm tempted to ring my crowd for a quote.

Ok just out of curiousity I rang my broker for a quote. Asked for a quote on the Trueno....wasn't listed. So when asked what the equivalent 'Irish' car was I said closest thing would be a corolla, got quote for 1.6 corolla. Then asked was the levin listed...Yes. Got a quote on the levin, slightly cheaper to insure than a bog standard 1.6 corolla :shock: :) :twisted:
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:08 pm

Mustang wrote:..., got quote for 1.6 corolla. Then asked was the levin listed...Yes. Got a quote on the levin, slightly cheaper to insure than a bog standard 1.6 corolla :shock: :) :twisted:

Insurance companies really don't have a clue when it comes to imports.
The FTO suffers while cars like the Levins/Truenos/Asti's/Civic SiR's are laughing. This is probably why there has been a fairly recent rise in the number of Levins I've seen around. Similar story with Glanza's - hot hatch performance for Starlet insurance (Not that I'd want to drive one!).

I've said it before - I'll say it again - "Don't do it Mustang!"
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:21 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:I've said it before - I'll say it again - "Don't do it Mustang!"

He speaks the truth!

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Japanese Performance