Central locking

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Central locking

Postby kevinod » Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:44 am

Guys,

a q on central locking... if you lock the passengers door with the key, does it lock the drivers door? Doesn't on mine, wondering is that normal or should it lock both doors... when I lock the drivers door with the key the passenger door locks alright though.

Got an alarm installed on Friday (and additional immobiliser too, even if someone has my keys they still won't be able to start the car) but discovered the alarm isn't locking the driver's door. It locks the passenger's door but not the drivers. It does unlock both doors though. I'm locking it with the key for the moment, calling into them again to get it sorted on Thursday.

When I was on the phone to them this morning the guy I was talking to thought maybe the motor on the driver's door needed to be replaced.

Reason for asking the first question is that the alarm guy asked me that specifically.

Anyone any ideas whether its normal or if there is a problem with my central locking what it might be?

Kev.
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby Mustang » Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:05 pm

Kevinod wrote
if you lock the passengers door with the key, does it lock the drivers door?

Not on my car anyway!

when I lock the drivers door with the key the passenger door locks alright though.

Same here!
It locks the passenger's door but not the drivers. It does unlock both doors though.

I'm no expert but sounds like a dodgy install to me, as your car would appear to be behaving normally!
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:07 pm

Kev, the FTOs central locking is known to be problematic after a few years of use, you might want to consider changing the locking mechanism, see here for more info. AFAIK, most Mitsi central locking motors around the time were the same unit so you could just as easily pull one of of a Galant or a Colt in a scrap yard. The alarm installer should be able to test it out to determine if its knackered or not.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kevinod » Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:26 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, looks like it's working properly then, just a dodgy installation. All the rest works fine, and once I lock the drivers door, which I was doing before anyway its cool.

Central locking works fine besides, so hopefully the motor isn't gone but I'll see what he has to say on Thurs I guess.

thanks,
Kev.
kevinod

Postby Mustang » Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:47 pm

looks like it's working properly then, just a dodgy installation.

Kevin I might have been wrong on that one. CJ is correct though the central locking is known to give trouble.
So the alarm unlocks the drivers door, but does not lock it.
So we know that at least the central locking motor works in one direction (i.e. the unlocking cycle). When you use the key to lock the door,
you are providing the driving force to lock the door.
Without knowing anything (at all) about the central locking system. It sounds to me like one of two things.
1.The circuitry/ polarity for the wiring controling the locking cycle is incorrect. Maybe a loose (electrical) connection?
2. The mechanism connected to the motor, for the locking cycle is loose/ damaged, etc.
Maybe you could try and listen to the drivers door when locking with the keyfob, to see if you can hear any movement of the motor/ mechanism.
One other thought, are there sperate fuses/relays controlling the locking/ unlocking cycle, left and right (probably not just a thought)???
Best of look with it.

Mustang[/b]
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kevinod » Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:30 pm

Mustang wrote:
looks like it's working properly then, just a dodgy installation.

When you use the key to lock the door, you are providing the driving force to lock the door.

That is a very good point, I think further investigation may be required then... prob won't get time to look at it this evening, but won't have another central locking motor to test it against either so...

Thanks for the input!

Kev.
kevinod

Postby zacob » Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:44 pm

I got an alarm fitted about 2 weeks ago. The alarm guy checked the same thing and said I needed a motor for the passenger door to allow for dual operation(i.e locking from either door) He fitted a motor and it seems to work fine from both doors.
zacob
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby steelroe » Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:20 pm

If you haqve central locking on your FTO then when you lock the doors with the key in the drivers side both doord should lock. I bet a faulty mootr is to blame.

Remember this motor is fitted to all MItsi's with central locking.
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to FTO Technical