NCT Rip Off

Discuss issues related to the NCT \ MOT

Moderator: Moderators

NCT Rip Off

Postby RussMan » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:38 pm

Hi there,

Probably similar to waht CJ is talking about in his previous post but worthy of a separate Thread!
I recently NCT the motor.. last week. Past with flying colours first time.. yaaay. Problem is though that the Cert Expires next May therefore i'm getting approx 9 months NCT at full price.. Excuse was that because the car is a 98 it was due the NCT In 2003 or some bull... 'lady on phone

either way the car wasn't in the country at the time ' Russ

It doesn't matter ' lady on phone

Ok fine sure you can simply charge me half price for my next NCT next may ' russ

No you pay full ' lady

why' Russ

Cos our system is designed in such a poor fashion that we can double charge you ' lady (smudge of sarcasm added)

Ok send me a complaint form ' Russ

No problems ' lady

Thanks very much 'Russ.

Anyway that was the general jist of the conversation with NCT office so any suggestions as to how i'm getting a refund would help. Its sounds illegal to me, similar to a problem i had with insurance company which a letter quickly resolved.. But honestly ... how many people are getting fleased here???
???? - Ferrari F355 Berlinetta
2007 Nissan 350z GT
2004 Nissan 350z GT
1998 Mitsubishi FTO GPvR
1997 Mazda Mx-3
RussMan
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby kevinod » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:51 pm

I had the exact same problem, except try a cert for 4 months!

Went to complain, and there's an appeal process, but you have to put a deposit for that of €45 or something like that, pretty much the cost of just doing another test. If you win the appeal you get it back, if not you don't.

Just to rub salt into it they told me if I had held off for 4 weeks I would have been inside the 3 months of the registration date. Disgusted, there was me trying to be 'a good car owner' and get my NCT as soon as I could.

I just let it go in the end, it meant that I knew it would pass the next test being so soon after (well apart from the gpx brakes I put on but they did anyway). The test after the 4 months was the most thorough nct test I've seen yet, and still got passed on everything first time.

Its a really sh!tty system but one of those things that probably doesn't cost enough to get too worked up about.
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Mr Moan

Postby RussMan » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:15 pm

I'm really going to look into this a bit more for the laugh.
Remember a few months ago when the NCT was brought up on a few issues regarding their system? I think its time to remind them of the public voice!!!!
???? - Ferrari F355 Berlinetta
2007 Nissan 350z GT
2004 Nissan 350z GT
1998 Mitsubishi FTO GPvR
1997 Mazda Mx-3
RussMan
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Re: Mr Moan

Postby agent s » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:21 am

RussMan wrote:I'm really going to look into this a bit more for the laugh.
Remember a few months ago when the NCT was brought up on a few issues regarding their system? I think its time to remind them of the public voice!!!!

:smt038 :smt038 :smt038

Go Rick-y!

Go Rick-y!

Go Rick-y!

Go Rick-y!

:smt038 :smt038 :smt038
“Don’t upset me. I’m running out of places to hide the bodies.”
agent s
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby Neil » Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:47 am

I'm the same, just NCTd car 2 weeks ago. PASSED :D but I've only got a cert til 03/06 !
I was at home before I noticed it...
Neil
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby AL » Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:15 pm

i had a major confrontation with the nct testers in liffey valley area a few years ago, this came down to badly calibrated equipment and inept testers, dont want to go through all the boring details, i think its all posted here somewhere, anyway to cut a long story short,

ive send 3 cars through since, i seem to get the royal treatment :D , they cant seem to get me out quick enough,
basically i got straight on to a solicitor and rang nct head ofice. i still to this day keep all the paper work from this crazy situation i was thrown into, just in case i ever need to remind them :evil: .

i put a car through almost a year to the day after all this mess, guess what? everyone there knew exactly who i was :twisted:
AL

Postby Damo » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:27 pm

I just got stung as well, NCT'd the car on sarturday and noticed when I was putting up the cert that it expires in February. There is no logic to this at all. Talk about rip off merchants our own government's the worst.
I never knew driving could be so much fun
Damo
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby Mustang » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:54 pm

I do not agree with this system (when applied to used imports) but I can see the logic....to a point.
The approach they have taken ensures that all cars of a particular age fall due in the same year -regardless of whether they were imported or not. So as in Russmans case '98 cars fall due for test next year (2006). There is something to be said for this level of consitency in the system.
Of little comfort to Kev and Russman though who understandably feel ripped of.
Unfortunately this consistency does not fit well with used imports. I think there should be some sort of refund or discount allowable in these cases.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:58 pm

kevinod wrote:Went to complain, and there's an appeal process, but you have to put a deposit for that of €45 or something like that, pretty much the cost of just doing another test. If you win the appeal you get it back, if not you don't.

You have to pay to make a complaint. :? What kind of system is that?
What kind of business charges for the provision of constructive criticism? Which would allow themto provide a better service to their customers?
The fact that you have to pay €45 to appeal should be appealed!
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Damo » Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:11 pm

Yeah, mine's a 98 also. For sure the complaints system is a joke, but I just can't see why a system can't be used whereby your car falls due for testing 2 years after its last test. To ahve to go through the whole thing again after just 4 months doesn't make sense to me.
I never knew driving could be so much fun
Damo
Speed freak
Speed freak

Return to NCT \ MOT