strange behaiver folding mirros

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

strange behaiver folding mirros

Postby akay47 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:52 pm

Hi guys just got my fto and lovin it. It's a big step from an mx5;)
I have a problem with the folding mirrors.
First of all the adjusting the mirror angle wouldn't work so I followed the steps as advised and glued the little Cooper bits on,on both sides of the car. Wow the adjusting now works.
But the folding side is strange. Drivers side folds up and not down and passenger side automatically folds down if put up by hand . Hopes this makes sense as it's really bugging me.
Here is a pic of the wiring from the switch.

akay47
Unleaded
Unleaded

Re: strange behaiver folding mirros

Postby goz_83 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:33 am

To check of the mirror, or wiring loom is the fault, all you have to do is switch the driver and passenger mirrors around.

Then, if the driver mirror, (which would now be on the passenger side of the car) auto folds in, you know that the wiring in the car is the culprit. But, if the passenger mirror (now on the driver side) folds in automatically, you know the mirror is at fault.

Was the folding functions working properly before you "fixed" the mirrors?

Check this out first and come back to us. To cut out confusion, call the passenger side, side 1, with mirror 1 and the driver side is side 2 with mirror 2.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby akay47 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:15 pm

Cheers bud will do that tonight. The folding didn't work at all till the copper bits was glued on. I heard that if you glue the copper bits on that's what causes issues, like the copper bits will not touch the plate evenly.so you should use a little heat on the lugs only. Well too late now
akay47
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby akay47 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:26 am

Update. Got it working. I took both mirrors off and had a look and the other Cooper bits came off inside the motor. Glued them and now fully working folding mirrors wicked.
akay47
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby goz_83 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:56 pm

akay47 wrote:Update. Got it working. I took both mirrors off and had a look and the other Cooper bits came off inside the motor. Glued them and now fully working folding mirrors wicked.

:ll
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to FTO Technical