War on underbody rust

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

War on underbody rust

Postby Temeeo » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:06 pm

While doing some work on the car I noticed that the underbody is in a need of attention. Being a bit OCD I decided that I'll carry out all the work myself, I figured that even if I did only a one or two square feet a week the car would be all done in few weeks (well before winter).

Here is the plan:

I'll be starting with sections that are the worst, removing the heavy rust mechanically (wire brush, various wire wheel brushes + drill) then I'll use Deox Gel (by Bilt Hamber) followed by degreaser, couple coats of self-etching primer with high zinc content and top coat.

I'll be going for "factory" look - everything white except for suspension/steering parts and fuel tank.

Small parts that can be easily removed will be soaked in Deox C.

All cavities will be treated Dynax S-50 (also by Bilt Hamber - apparently outperforms by miles waxoyl and other products)

I won't be using the typical black under seal, I don't like the idea that the car could be rusting underneath the under seal without me knowing about it/without visual signs. Once finished I'll treat the underbody with Dynax UC (see through anti-corrosion wax).

Here are some pictures of what the underbody looks like now, when I bought the car back in January all the rust was classified as surface rust - hope it's still the case and that welding won't be needed.

Some supplies, all I need now is determination and elbow grease! :)

99 Mitsubishi FTO GX Manual in Passion Red
Temeeo
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Re: War on underbody rust

Postby goz_83 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:57 am

It is a relief to know that someone is fussier than me :lol:
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Temeeo » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:44 am

It is a relief to know that someone is fussier than me

Haha, what bogs me is that I won't be able to do it as well as this chap http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?283826-Comprehensive-S14a-refurb. At least not this time around as the car is my daily driver.
Temeeo
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Kace » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:45 am

Nice plans. Just as a matter of interest do you have a lift or pit, or are you just going to do this work with the car up on axle stands?
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Temeeo » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:33 pm

do you have a lift or pit, or are you just going to do this work with the car up on axle stands?

I wish I had a lift and some sheltered place where I could carry out the work, driveway and axle stands will have to do.
Temeeo
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby brccrx » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:53 pm

Temeeo wrote:
do you have a lift or pit, or are you just going to do this work with the car up on axle stands?

I wish I had a lift and some sheltered place where I could carry out the work, driveway and axle stands will have to do.

You'll absolutely love wirebrushing the chassis :) Loads of fricking fun :(
Buy some dust mask and a pair of googles.
Dont cut corners and dont rush and you'll be grand.

I would love my R.E.D. under would look as good as yours is, ive spent 3 long evenings lying under it, welding the chassis :evil:
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby Temeeo » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:44 pm

I would love my R.E.D. under would look as good as yours is, ive spent 3 long evenings lying under it, welding the chassis

Looked as good as mine? :shock: Jesus, I nearly got an heart attack when I saw the current state. :) Can you tell from looking at the pictures that it won't be bad? What does your white GPvR look like down under?
Temeeo
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby goz_83 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:32 am

Jan, your fto is actually quite clean underneath. You WOULD have a heart attack if you looked at most of the examples on the road
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby brccrx » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:59 am

The white one is better than R.E.D. but again not as clean as yours so i might go at undersealing it the next.

+1 Gary.
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby Mick ah » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:06 pm

+1 Gary also

Looks very clean.

Good idea to seal it now though. The work will be very easy in comparison to when it actually gets bad

Good luck with the work!
Mick ah
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby Temeeo » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:48 pm

It's really nice to hear that it's not that bad (that it could be a lot worse) lads! :D
I was going to start today but then I decided that headlights were more important... :roll:
Temeeo
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Return to General FTO Discussion