Failed NCT at first attemp :( UPDATE

Discuss issues related to the NCT \ MOT

Moderator: Moderators

Failed NCT at first attemp :( UPDATE

Postby TonyC » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:42 am

Despite me bringing it to my local Mitsubishi garage 1 month ago and getting a full service and instructing them to fix whatever problems they found (new calipers and discs and a few other minor things), which cost 600€ and then for a pre test on saturday (90€) my fto still failed the NCT monday. I'm not even surprised. the car is a 95 GR with 90km on the clock. I'm tempted to give up on it now. My girlfriend bought the car over for me cos i was in work so i only have the sheet and didnt get the testers explanation.Heres whats wrong with it. What do you lads think?
Slide Allignment Test is marked as N/D.
Brake Test is marked as N/D
Emission, High Idle: Lambda is 1.075 and 1.03 is limit
Full Beam is N/a
Fog Light is N/a (Are they a requirement?)
Aux Light is N/a
Now i think my lights failed because the indicator stick (i mean the stick beside the steering wheel that you operate the lights with, whats that called??) is a bit loose so they probably just refused to test it.
Horn not working (MOMO Steering wheel is tempermental)
No Wheel caps removed (i have alloys, was i supposed to remove them??)
Brake Wheel Units (Leaking)
Electrical System is marked as having cut/frayed connections but i dont know what that is.

Other than that the car is in mint condition :)

what do you lads think?? How much would you say it will cost me?
Last edited by TonyC on Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TonyC
Unleaded
Unleaded

Re: Failed NCT at first attemp :(

Postby Kace » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:07 pm

TonyC wrote:Despite me bringing it to my local Mitsubishi garage 1 month ago and getting a full service and instructing them to fix whatever problems they found (new calipers and discs and a few other minor things), which cost 600€ and then for a pre test on saturday (90€) my fto still failed the NCT monday. I'm not even surprised. the car is a 95 GR with 90km on the clock. I'm tempted to give up on it now. My girlfriend bought the car over for me cos i was in work so i only have the sheet and didnt get the testers explanation.Heres whats wrong with it. What do you lads think?
Full Beam is N/a
Aux Light is N/a
Now i think my lights failed because the indicator stick (i mean the stick beside the steering wheel that you operate the lights with, whats that called??) is a bit loose so they probably just refused to test it.
Electrical System is marked as having cut/frayed connections but i dont know what that is.

Other than that the car is in mint condition :)

what do you lads think?? How much would you say it will cost me?

>>> Sounds like N/D is 'Not Done' for some reason ?

>>> Ditto

>>> You should have got your gf to drive the card hard before going to test centre - no action required

Full Beam is N/a
>>> Sounds like it wasn't tested. I presume they are both working.

>>> Sounds like it wasn't tested. If the car has them, they will be tested. Do they work ?

Aux Light is N/a
>>> Sounds like it wasn't tested. Do they both work ?

>>> I think you're right. The guy probably thought he would get electrocuted messing with it

>>> Fix this - should be easy - there are only 2 wires.

>>> B/S - nothing to be done here with alloys

>>> Sounds like you have a leak that should be repaired - shouldn't be a big deal with some new hoses.

>>> You need to find out what this is - especially if something is about to give out due to freying.

Sounds like the guys at your Mitsubishi Garage are inept. You should bring the list back to them and ask them why they didn't highlight these things to you. Then go somewhere else to get all future work done.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:50 pm

the wheel nuts have to be visable. if your alloys have centre caps that obscure the nuts, you need to take them off.
colm_mcm

Postby kevinod » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:55 pm

I've only ever had N/a for any of my front bulbs apart from the main beams, I don't think they test full beams or fogs.
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Re: Failed NCT at first attemp :(

Postby Sebastian » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:15 pm

Tony . Check only RESULTS column !! for PASS or FAIL

and review the FAIL issues.
Slide Allignment Test is marked as N/D. -don't know what that is maybe go back and check with them ?
Brake Test is marked as N/D-ditto ^
You failed on lambda sensor seems (redex +E5 + good drive before test should be enough)

Full Beam is N/a--------- check last column(RESULTS) if PASS or FAIL
Fog Light is N/a --------- check last column(RESULTS) if PASS or FAIL
Aux Light is N/a -------- check last column(RESULTS) if PASS or FAIL

those things are not tested .they only check DIP BEAM and if it says PASS there then the lights are ok!!!!

That is marked usualy in ''visual defects'' column - if it's not there then don't worry about it!
Horn MUST worrk for the car to PASS .do a search on the forum i's been disscused before

what colm said
check where is the leak , probably the brake lines ?

they do a visual check - do it yourself and try to cover the loose bits
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby Bernard » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:44 pm

I'd be straight back to the garage that worked on the car.
Particularly with respect to the brakes, you did spend €600 having new callipers and discs fitted after all.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CJ » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:50 am

Bernard wrote:I'd be straight back to the garage that worked on the car.

^^ what he said.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby optical illusion » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:39 pm

colm_mcm wrote:the wheel nuts have to be visable. if your alloys have centre caps that obscure the nuts, you need to take them off.

Aw thats frikking ghey!! FFS you have to take all 4 wheels off!! Good to know, I suppose, but still annoying.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:55 pm

colm_mcm wrote:the wheel nuts have to be visable. if your alloys have centre caps that obscure the nuts, you need to take them off.

optical illusion wrote:Aw thats frikking ghey!! FFS you have to take all 4 wheels off!! Good to know, I suppose, but still annoying.

Ah optical, think about that one for a sec. you wouldn't be able to put the wheels on or off at all if the centre caps covered the wheel nuts AND you had to take the wheels off before removal.
The standard FTO wheels are unusual in that the centre caps are clicked in from the inside.
colm_mcm

Postby optical illusion » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:48 pm

Yes, I did, you got to it before I had time to edit :) I'm tired, it was a long, hard day. Blonde moment. Guilty as charged :)
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby TonyC » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:18 pm

Update:
Lads thanks for your help first time around. Retest was yesterday and i have passed everything except there is a wheel nut missin. I should have checked this myself but presumed the garage had everything sorted. I rang the garage about it and he said that he had no 17 wheel nuts. He only had 21s.

Does anyone know where i can get 17s ?

(actually my NCT yesterday was comical, straight out of father ted, failed initially then he said he'd pass me, then he said he had to fail me cos it was entered into the system! Yesterday was last day too so i might have to do the whole test again :( )
TonyC
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby CJ » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:06 pm

TonyC wrote:Does anyone know where i can get 17s ?

Any motor factors or alloy wheel outlet will be able to supply a nut.

(Note I deleted your post from the Tech section for duplication purposes).

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TonyC » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:07 pm

cheers CJ. just want to get this sorted asap
TonyC
Unleaded
Unleaded

Return to NCT \ MOT