Underbody rust

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Underbody rust

Postby Sebastian » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:51 am

Is there anyone on here who removed the under body rust on their cars , what's the work involved and how much would it cost roughly ?

this thread holds some info but nothing clear
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9975&hilit=rust
thanks.
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Re: Underbody rust

Postby Muad_dib77 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:44 am

would also be interesting i somebody had any experiences with undersealing, getting it done, Positive/Negative, Pricing, Location... anything..

Sadly all out cars are getting older - this tends to happen over time.. :roll:
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby sinlessgunner » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:20 pm

Seb I'm getting a job done on mine next week. I started that thread you linked to but didn't have the work done due to outlandish quotes. Got a lad to look at it for me last week and he reckons I need the 2 rear chassis legs plated nothing more. At least the cost of mine will give you an idea of what to expect.
sinlessgunner
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby Sebastian » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:58 pm

that's what i'm looking to do on mine as well , weld plates on the legs .
let me know PLEASE
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby kizersozey » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:34 pm

seb hi, im getting my dad at home in drogheda to underseal my fto in the garage, he's machanic. he's putting 3 coats of this stuff by spray gun with airline...........i can ask him if your still interested in getting it done. he done few i remember, but have to cover everything up while doing the job :) last car he did was his beloved 1967 mini cooper s (his pride and joy). cant remember the name of the stuff, he told me today, but will find out for ya
Steel silver Manual GR (95 D)
kizersozey
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Sebastian » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:40 pm

before underseal i must weld some plates on the chassis legs !

thanks dude;)
Sebastian

Postby kizersozey » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:50 pm

yeah ok. let me know if you want to get her done after welding,
kizersozey
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Kace » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:40 pm

kizersozey wrote:seb hi, im getting my dad at home in drogheda to underseal my fto in the garage, he's machanic. he's putting 3 coats of this stuff by spray gun with airline...........i can ask him if your still interested in getting it done. he done few i remember, but have to cover everything up while doing the job :) last car he did was his beloved 1967 mini cooper s (his pride and joy). cant remember the name of the stuff, he told me today, but will find out for ya

Kizer - how much would this undersealing cost from your Dad's place ? I would be interested in this also, given that this scenario is certainly not going to improve over time.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kizersozey » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:27 pm

hi kace,,,,,,,,if you get the undersealer of your choice dad will do it.........after he finishes in the garage he has garage at home also with lift ect.......so he can potter away with no disturbances..thats where he will be doing the undersealing....i'll ask him tomorrow and im sure it will be cheap.....
kizersozey
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Muad_dib77 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:53 am

I'd be interested in a price as well... Car looks good underneath now...so better get it done...best to be safe - especially as there's likely to be salt on the roads this winter..
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby sinlessgunner » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:36 am

Got a quote for this today. Have to have 4 plates welded onto the chassis at the back. €160 for the job. Thats just for the welding though I have a mate who will clean up the rest, wire brushing, sealing etc. Not a bad price and he definitely knows what he's talking about very sound.

Guy in Sallynoggin doing the job if anyone wants his contact details I'll pass them on.
sinlessgunner

Postby Sebastian » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:47 am

that's not too bad now , i would be interested !
Sebastian

Postby Bernard » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:24 am

I was in halfords today, they sell DIY kits for doing this.
It'd be a poxy job without a lift though.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Sebastian » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:28 am

i supose you mean the undersealer kit not a welding thing :lol:
Sebastian

Postby Bernard » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:46 am

Sebastian wrote:i supose you mean the undersealer kit not a welding thing :lol:

Aye Seb, although they did have tubes of liquid metal :wink:
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Sebastian » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:51 pm

saw the kit as well . not a bad price
Sebastian

Postby kizersozey » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:56 pm

kace, was talking to dad and he said about 70euro to apply underseal,(3 coats) just need to have car powerwashed underneath, he's doing mine next week when i get caliper fixed.......
kizersozey
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Sebastian » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:09 pm

sexy price : ) your dad might have a few costumers .
Sebastian

Postby kizersozey » Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:11 pm

ah he's one of the old skool machanics (if he heard me say that) and knows his stuff, he's not out to screw anyone.......
kizersozey
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Kace » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:03 pm

kizersozey wrote:kace, was talking to dad and he said about 70euro to apply underseal,(3 coats) just need to have car powerwashed underneath, he's doing mine next week when i get caliper fixed.......

When you say the car needs to be powerwashed underneath - what is the easiest way to get this done or can he do this also ?

sinlessgunner wrote:Got a quote for this today. Have to have 4 plates welded onto the chassis at the back. €160 for the job. Thats just for the welding though I have a mate who will clean up the rest, wire brushing, sealing etc. Not a bad price and he definitely knows what he's talking about very sound.

Guy in Sallynoggin doing the job if anyone wants his contact details I'll pass them on.

Sinless - any chance you could take a couple of pics of the rust situation that you are actually looking to have repaired - is it noticeably bad or are you just getting the welding done for precautionary purposes ?
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kizersozey » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:02 am

only best way kace is to put on lift and take off 4 wheels and give her a good power wash,,,,,,i know not many people have access to lift but by individually taking off a wheel and washing will do as long as theres no muck :D
kizersozey
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby sinlessgunner » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:01 pm

Unfortunately can't get pictures because I don't have a way of getting the car off the ground but what seems to be the situation is:

The chassis has 2 layers of metal, the outside layer of mine is badly worn through in 3 places and is gone right through in 1 place. The rust is in almost the very same position either side of the car, just at each of the rear chassis legs. I need 3 small plates and 1 large one. The lad who is doing it for me said that I don't have any structural damage but wouldn't be long until I did if I didn't get this done. Then you're looking at a much bigger job. To look at mine it seems pretty bad but he said that it looks worse than it is.

Hopefully that can give you some idea. One thing to be aware of though is that a lot of crash repair/auto development places won't do this job took me a while to find someone to do it.
sinlessgunner

Postby Mustang » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:28 pm

kizersozey wrote:kace, was talking to dad and he said about 70euro to apply underseal,(3 coats) just need to have car powerwashed underneath, he's doing mine next week when i get caliper fixed.......

I have been planning to do this for ages, hoped to do a DIY job during the summer, but without a garage and depending on the weather it never happened :cry: I'd be happy to pay that sort of money for this service.
I note your avatar says Galway -is that where your old man is based too?

What about treating it for rust, going over it with a wire brush etc. As with most painting jobs, most of the workis in the preparation....

@ Sinlessgunner that sounds like a good price for the welding....What is the actual process.
Do they cut out around the rust patch and replace with a plate -welded into place?

Does anyone have any experience of NCT testing the car, after having such welding work carried out?
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:41 pm

Old thread resurrection. Sinlessgunner did you get this job done in the end? Details please? Anybody else, either weld or underseal their car in the meantime?
Welding the rear chassis legs, in particular looks like a tricky job to me, it's not a simple case of cut out a section and weld in a plate in it's place as the area is not flat.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby jayod12b » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:26 pm

Mustang wrote:Old thread resurrection. Sinlessgunner did you get this job done in the end? Details please? Anybody else, either weld or underseal their car in the meantime?
Welding the rear chassis legs, in particular looks like a tricky job to me, it's not a simple case of cut out a section and weld in a plate in it's place as the area is not flat.

Got both front arches done,
My local panel beater used plates to patch it up before welding and sealing it

Rear chassis legs are next on the agenda
There not too badly priced on camskil

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php? ... s248p58283
jayod12b
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Next

Return to FTO Technical