Lights fell out, dont go on anymore?

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Lights fell out, dont go on anymore?

Postby Mark1989 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:59 am

When I got to work this morning I switched on my lights, they worked for 0,5 second and then fell out and wont go on anymore. At first I thought it was a fuse or so but my mechanic friend thought it might be the light switch on the steering wheel or that my complete fuse box died. My dasg lights arent working as well. Is this something that happened to other forum members as well or? Thanks fpr the help!
95' FTO GX Passion Red.
Mark1989
1st gear
1st gear

Re: Lights fell out, dont go on anymore?

Postby goz_83 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:50 pm

My dash lights went on me a few weeks ago when I was driving to Tipperary. When I checked, the led footwell lights were off an the parking and rear lights were also gone. Repeaters, headlights, highbeams and brake lights worked fine as far as I can remember. The thing is, I had a lot running off the one fuse and hadn't upgraded the fuse amp. I had led lights, dashboard lights, phone charger, Sat Nav and I had only just installed a gps tracker to charge from the same fuse.....so it blew. I tried a couple of spare 10amp fuses, but they blew. I put in a 15amp and it was fine until I had all the extras turned on and plugged in, namely the phone and the sat nav when it blew again. A 20 amp went in a week ago and I have had no problems since.

Are any fuses blown? Make sure there are no wires exposed, or touching stuff they shouldn't. The first place is checking the fusebox under the hood. Then take out the centre console and make sure there is nothing amiss. If that all looks fine and your problem is not resolved....maybe someone else can help.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby White_Beast » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:23 pm

Have you recently had anything electrical put in the car (CD player for example)? I have known electrical faults happen on other cars when a CD player was added, yet strangely the same CD player worked in another car with no problems at all. If you have added ANYTHING new recently (wether it's a CD player or a HID bulb), remove/disconnect it and check to see if the problem is fixed.

It's a good theory what your friend said about the light switch on the steering wheel been broken, though this doesn't explain the dash lights going as well. Light switch problems are common on a few cars (phase 2 Renault 19 and older Clio's) but i've never heard of it happening on an FTO. Even if the switch has broken on the end of the light stalk that you twist to switch the lights on/off, you can still flash your lights or indicate. Try this. If the lights don't flash, i'd say it's unlikely to be a problem with the light stalk/arm as switching on the lights, flashing and indicating are 3 seperate opperations, even though they use the same part to do each job. 1 breaking shouldn't affect the others.

Hope you get it sorted.
1994 Mitubishi FTO GR owner 05 / April / 2005 to 06 / October / 2013
White_Beast
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby Mark1989 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:25 pm

Hmm, the light switch shouldnt be the problem then I guess. I cant flash my lights but all the indicators are working. The only thing I did recently wich includea electrics is removing my front bunper to remove and clean my headlight. Other thing is a new lambda but I guess that has nothing to do with it.
95' FTO GX Passion Red.
Mark1989
1st gear
1st gear

Postby StewyD32 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:16 am

Could have ripped or pinched a wire when removing the bumper, although a main light wires aren't directly tucked behind the bumper.
Take it off again and have a look at all the wires just to rule that possibility out..
Silver 97 Mirage Asti V coupe
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Return to FTO Technical