Never diss the FTO...

Use this forum to discuss anything and everything non-FTO related

Moderator: Moderators

Never diss the FTO...

Postby optical illusion » Tue May 11, 2010 4:11 pm

I don't know if some of ye have been following the octane/ALMC show/bmwdrivers-net debacle, but it is getting hilarious. Well worth a peruse for lol factor alone.

Also, have a read through this, someone on octane was on wiki... :lol: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FM104#List ... presenters
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Never diss the FTO...

Postby Uncle B » Tue May 11, 2010 4:33 pm

optical illusion wrote:I don't know if some of ye have been following the octane/ALMC show/bmwdrivers-net debacle, but it is getting hilarious.

Could you fill me in/link me to whatever you're on about!
Get out of here Nebulon! No one likes your style...
Uncle B
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby optical illusion » Tue May 11, 2010 4:54 pm

http://www.octane.ie/forum/showthread.p ... 52&page=28 - Enjoy!

There is also a thread on bmwnet called 'are you on octane.ie' - they were banned from octane for trolling :) Check out brady's sig, very personal, he must think I give a sh1t :)
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dragonheart » Tue May 11, 2010 6:04 pm

Looks like we missed the action, but to be honest, why are they giving out about there being standard cars there and they're all driving BMWs? Theres a pic of a 325i there, cause ya thats so cool! Cant see how anyone has any standing or right to give out about another persons P&J, especially when its a great piece of machinery, (I take it the FTO is yours Laura)?
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Uncle B » Tue May 11, 2010 6:34 pm

Indeed... number of E30's produced 2.3million (not renowned for being rockets either).

Number of FTOs produced ~36k?

For the most part E30s aren't rare or performance cars!
Uncle B

Postby soc » Wed May 12, 2010 12:22 pm

FFS ladies - why do people get so childish about cars? Everyone has to have an opinion and everyone has to react to petty comments. An enthusiast is an enthusiast regardless of what they drive and we, as enthusiasts, should be able to look past stereotypes associated to a given marque and respect one another for what should be a common interest.

And before anyone flames me I don't include socially retarded chav knackers street racing in the noun "enthusiast".

I've posted the same thing on the BMW website too...

PS> Laura, I seem to remember you diss'ing the mk1 TT when in reality you knew very little about the car at the time - glass houses, stones, etc
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby cullen5998 » Wed May 12, 2010 2:37 pm

soc wrote:FFS ladies - why do people get so childish about cars? Everyone has to have an opinion and everyone has to react to petty comments. An enthusiast is an enthusiast regardless of what they drive and we, as enthusiasts, should be able to look past stereotypes associated to a given marque and respect one another for what should be a common interest.

And before anyone flames me I don't include socially retarded chav knackers street racing in the noun "enthusiast".

PS> Laura, I seem to remember you diss'ing the mk1 TT when in reality you knew very little about the car at the time - glass houses, stones, etc

You wouldnt happen to own a BMW? :D
Proud owner 95 GPX
cullen5998
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Uncle B » Wed May 12, 2010 2:43 pm

soc is just upset because he has a non-rare or performance 320D :smt003 (only teasing soc :smt002)

The FTO is called a girls/gays/hairdressers car all the time which I have no problem with.

Someone can say, "I don't like x car". Thats fine too.

But when someone calls a fine example of one a "shed" then it does grind my gears a bit as its insinuating that the owner doesn't look after it/has destroyed it.
It's more like a personal insult than an opinion...

Whoever made "that" post on BMW-driver sounded very elitist and reinforced the stereotype that most BMW drivers are trying to get away from.
Uncle B

Postby soc » Wed May 12, 2010 3:10 pm

@culle5998 - LOL - I do indeed now and worse it's a real family bus 320d :wink:

@Uncle B - I hear ya and FWIW I suspect the comment was made without realising the condition of the FTO in question - I don't think the comment was intended to come across as snobbish but I fear the FTO (along with other quality japanese cars) suffers from a stereotype due to a general association of jap performance cars with "idiot boy racers" which is why (I suspect) the comment was made in the first place. That said plenty of "idiot boy racers" own older BM's too so I fear that no car is really immune (not even a family bus - audi s4 1.9tdi anyone :wink:) .

To be honest the guys in bmw-driver are all generally pretty cool.

I just think on the web things can get blown out of all proportion very quickly/easily
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby optical illusion » Wed May 12, 2010 9:17 pm

soc wrote:FFS ladies - why do people get so childish about cars? Everyone has to have an opinion and everyone has to react to petty comments. An enthusiast is an enthusiast regardless of what they drive and we, as enthusiasts, should be able to look past stereotypes associated to a given marque and respect one another for what should be a common interest.

In fairness, it wasn't the remarks on people cars that annoyed others, it was the personal nature of it from the get go that you don't know the half of, it's not like I've never met them. The petty nature got old fast. My car has been called everything under the sun, everyone is entitled to their opinion, horses for courses and all that.

PS, Ow, that stone hit me! I so deserved that :) I took your point on at the time and went away and did some proper research, instead of just jesting. I still prefer the MKII though :wink:

There are lots of nice people over on bmw net, who have only contacted me via PM in a positive way. Let's not tar BMW's now. I like E30's and M3's. There were some awesome and equally unappealing beemers there.

Now listen here BMW driver - off with ya! :P
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Wed May 12, 2010 11:39 pm

optical illusion wrote:In fairness, it wasn't the remarks on people cars that annoyed others, it was the personal nature of it from the get go that you don't know the half of, it's not like I've never met them. The petty nature got old fast.

Fair point - I didn't see most of the posts as they were already deleted but I did get the distinct impression you guys knew each other and it sounded like it might have been personal... will we have handbags at dawn :? :wink:
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby optical illusion » Wed May 12, 2010 11:58 pm

No, sorry to disappoint, I gave that up in secondary school :D

Much prefer 0 - 60 lol
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Thu May 13, 2010 8:12 am

optical illusion wrote:Let's not tar BMW's now. I like E30's and M3's. There were some awesome and equally unappealing beemers there.

And what about 320d's? You saying you don't like them?? :twisted: :wink:

Actually (slightly OT) I start looking for a weekend car now and I'm debating between a good E30 325i sport or a lotus elise... don't you guys have an elise? Is there much that can go wrong with them? Do they really leak?
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby optical illusion » Thu May 13, 2010 2:09 pm

Am, they are big :)

Ya we do, god, where to start, you'll have set me off now!! Firstly are you thinking of going for the S1 or S2? Then I can begin :)
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Thu May 13, 2010 2:49 pm

optical illusion wrote:Am, they are big :)

Ya we do, god, where to start, you'll have set me off now!! Firstly are you thinking of going for the S1 or S2? Then I can begin :)

I don't know much about the Elise other than it's a very enjoyable drive ;) I guess S2 as that's the newer facelifted version - something like this -> http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1690238.htm
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby optical illusion » Thu May 13, 2010 9:58 pm

Nice choice, I have a penchant for S2's myself.

Toyota engine (or honda, even better!) ftw, the k series was a disaster and is known to give trouble. Head gasket failure is quite common.

It is not a practical car, nor is it the most comfortable. There is room for a folder in the boot. The seats in the S2 are more comfortable though. Getting into them is a challenge with the roof on, leg, head, ar$e, leg :D If you are the shy type, don't buy one :) I could go on forever... Have a lurk around octane and seloc, you'll get plenty of info there.

To sum it up, I would not drive one as an everyday car, but I would have one as a weekend car in a heartbeat. I've never been in a car that handles so well, commits so much to corners, to the point that you actually feel safe in it (the size of it how could you!).

Have you had a gawk at the 220's as well, pretty much the exact same car, same chassis, just different body.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Fri May 14, 2010 10:46 am

Cheers Laura - appreciate the feedback
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to Off Topic