Underbody rust

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Underbody rust

Postby witcher » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:56 pm

I am putting my mitsi apart soon for total renovation and I was considering sandblasting the undercarriage. any cons of doing it???
witcher
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Mustang » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:04 pm

jayod12b wrote:Got both front arches done,
My local panel beater used plates to patch it up before welding and sealing it
http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php? ... s248p58283

I'm guessing this would be easy enough for a competant welder/ panel beater. Care to tell us how much it cost?

Mustang wrote:Welding the rear chassis legs, in particular looks like a tricky job to me, it's not a simple case of cut out a section and weld in a plate in it's place as the area is not flat.

jayod12b wrote:Rear chassis legs are next on the agenda
There not too badly priced on camskil

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php? ... s248p58283

I didn't realise these could be bought as a spare, As I said above I couldn't quite understand (and still don't actually) how these can be replaced as it's a relatively conplex shape and not a flat section of plate.

What's the procedure for replacing the chassis leg?

Cut of the old one and just weld a new one in it's place (assuming the base surface/floor is intact and will take some weld).

Cut out a whole section of floor -including the chassis leg. weld a plate in place to repair the floor, and then weld the leg onto that new section?

Did you get a quote for this work also?
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby jayod12b » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:42 pm

Yes it seems to the case mustang that youve to cut out the old section and get a new section spotted in
One of moderators in the uk got it done not so long ago

http://www.ftooc.org/forum/showthread.p ... assis+legs

I havent got a quote off my panel beater yet for this work but im sure hed be reasonable
Charged me 100euro for both wheel arches to be plated and welded
jayod12b
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby sinlessgunner » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:26 pm

Mustang I had it done that time. As far as I could see he just plated the problem areas. Good job too very cleanly done. Cost €160 as I said before. My mate that cleaned it up (wire brushing, sealing etc) said it was a good job and the NCT lad said it was sound.

Not a big job, get a price before changing the entire thing I reckon. I just found it difficult to find someone to do it.

Hope that helps!
sinlessgunner
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby Sebastian » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:23 pm

me again.

Could you pass on that guy's details ?

Or does anyone know someone who could weld some plates on the chassis legs in Dublin area ?
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby Sebastian » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:22 pm

Went to a garage on nass rd over the weekend there and got quoted 350 + for parts and labour
that's a bit too much isn't it? guy said he will only take down the exhaust back box, and will need about half a day to do it .

Too rich me thinks ...
Will try another one next weekend
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby Kace » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:13 pm

A bit rich is right - I wish I had a job like that €700 per day !!!

What parts is he talking about - 2 pieces of angle iron ??
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Sebastian » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:18 pm

Kace wrote:What parts is he talking about - 2 pieces of angle iron ??

My thoughts also ....
Sebastian

Postby DubC » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:53 pm

Sorry for bumping an old thread but I'm in need of a welder to do some work on the chassis legs. Of those of you who have had work done, could you recommend anyone for the job?
Last edited by DubC on Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DubC
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby optical illusion » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:51 pm

ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Fri May 23, 2014 7:36 pm

Got stung at the NCT for the rusted chassis legs. The feckers doing the test were under the car with hammers before calling me out to tell me the bad news.

Anyone got any good experiences and prices around Dublin for this job ? Sebastian who did you go to in the end ?
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Sat May 24, 2014 12:26 am

Kace wrote:Got stung at the NCT for the rusted chassis legs. The feckers doing the test were under the car with hammers before calling me out to tell me the bad news.

Anyone got any good experiences and prices around Dublin for this job ? Sebastian who did you go to in the end ?

I was only at GVD today talking about getting my car fixed, including chassis, so maybe give them a call. The nearside rear on mine needs to be cut off and replaced. Prices are always good. What parts do you need sorted?
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Sat May 24, 2014 8:28 pm

Yeah - it's the offside chassis leg in my case. Had rust in two places (even though it had been sealed up with schultz a couple of years ago). Might bring it to the local guy right beside me first to see what he says. If I don't trust what he is saying then I will bring to GVD (as it's a bit of a drive over).

Has anyone had any experience going into the NCT with welded chassis legs ? NCT guy I was talking to indicated that it needed to be restored 'back to original condition' - this worries me.
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Sun May 25, 2014 10:14 am

Kace wrote: NCT guy I was talking to indicated that it needed to be restored 'back to original condition' - this worries me.

Once welded properly and then sealed, it would be hard to find the weld. If the leg from Deans FTO is good, you can have it. Its the other one i need. Well.....first i need the car :shock:
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Sun May 25, 2014 9:30 pm

Thanks - I didn't realise that these arms are just replaceable. So is it really a welding job at all or is it just a parts replacement ? Keen to hear from anyone who has either replaced the arms or done some welding on these things - NCT guys were indicating that it might not be 'economical' to fix these things.
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Sun May 25, 2014 10:09 pm

It's a weld job alright
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby mivecrx » Mon May 26, 2014 3:38 am

You will need to fix it to a safe standard, after all it is the chassis and any bad repair will make it weak and dangerous. If it's not bad just get the rust cut out and replace it with steel plates or a patch from another fto chassis that's not rusty, I would go with some good gauge steel tho. If it's beyond that then it's not worth fixing, also any welding carried out should be left visible and not covered with sealer for the nct.
mivecrx
Have you seen my FTO tattoo?

Postby goz_83 » Tue May 27, 2014 10:20 pm

mivecrx wrote:You will need to fix it to a safe standard, after all it is the chassis and any bad repair will make it weak and dangerous. If it's not bad just get the rust cut out and replace it with steel plates or a patch from another fto chassis that's not rusty, I would go with some good gauge steel tho. If it's beyond that then it's not worth fixing, also any welding carried out should be left visible and not covered with sealer for the nct.

We are talking about the nct here. The muppets try to fail ftos on anything they can (in dublin anyway). Why should any part of the underbody be left unprotected from further corrosion? I say seal it up. A competent tester will see the weld and be able to inspect it even if it is protected. And competent testers seem to be in short supply.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby mivecrx » Wed May 28, 2014 11:11 pm

goz_83 wrote:
We are talking about the nct here. The muppets try to fail ftos on anything they can (in dublin anyway). Why should any part of the underbody be left unprotected from further corrosion? I say seal it up. A competent tester will see the weld and be able to inspect it even if it is protected. And competent testers seem to be in short supply.

I don't know if they don't like ftos in Dublin or not, maybe they don't like any sports car, seems that way all over Ireland. Bad rust on a chassis leg is hardly unfair to fail a car on, fto or not.
It's impossible to see weld under under seal so the tester can't see the repair, if he passes it without seeing a good repair then that's not acceptable. There's people out there who will do anything but fix rust the correct way and hide it with sealer before selling on a car, the nct cuts this out and protects buyers from getting fooled with a dangerous car.
mivecrx

Postby goz_83 » Thu May 29, 2014 12:02 am

mivecrx wrote:
goz_83 wrote:

I don't know if they don't like ftos in Dublin or not, maybe they don't like any sports car, seems that way all over Ireland. Bad rust on a chassis leg is hardly unfair to fail a car on, fto or not.
It's impossible to see weld under under seal so the tester can't see the repair, if he passes it without seeing a good repair then that's not acceptable. There's people out there who will do anything but fix rust the correct way and hide it with sealer before selling on a car, the nct cuts this out and protects buyers from getting fooled with a dangerous car.

The nct cuts down on certain things, but cuts nothing out. There are still people in the nct centres that will take €100 and give you a pass cert without even looking at the car. Never used these services personally, but after the whole hid and emissions fiasco, I would understand why someone would. In the case above, the job will be done properly, as I am sure Kace will not be interested in a half ar$e job. In my opinion, a weld, or exposed metal for that matter should be protected right away, before rust starts in again.

@Kace: I collected that fto from Dean today. If you need the driver side chassis leg, the car is up at GVD. Just tell George it's ok to use the leg off it to fix yours (if you are getting him to do it). I'm not looking for anything for the part, but i'm sure the welding won't be free.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby brccrx » Thu May 29, 2014 1:11 am

mivecrx wrote:It's impossible to see weld under under seal so the tester can't see the repair, if he passes it without seeing a good repair then that's not acceptable. There's people out there who will do anything but fix rust the correct way and hide it with sealer before selling on a car, the nct cuts this out and protects buyers from getting fooled with a dangerous car.

Lol. You surely mention about welding required when you sold the white asti?

100% genuine :ll
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby mivecrx » Thu May 29, 2014 1:28 am

brccrx wrote:
mivecrx wrote:It's impossible to see weld under under seal so the tester can't see the repair, if he passes it without seeing a good repair then that's not acceptable. There's people out there who will do anything but fix rust the correct way and hide it with sealer before selling on a car, the nct cuts this out and protects buyers from getting fooled with a dangerous car.

Sold two white astis, all info I knew about both cars was passed on to the buyers. Broke two mivecs that I wouldn't sell on, rusty lancer was one.

Got stung with one tho, some foreign clown sold me a car with loads of problems. His diy skills ran out when he took a grinder to the back suspension.
mivecrx

Postby Kace » Thu May 29, 2014 12:00 pm

goz_83 wrote:@Kace: I collected that fto from Dean today. If you need the driver side chassis leg, the car is up at GVD. Just tell George it's ok to use the leg off it to fix yours (if you are getting him to do it). I'm not looking for anything for the part, but i'm sure the welding won't be free.

Cheers Goz - I will give George a call to let him know. I just need to get my car down to him and work out how to commute out of there back to Fairview once I leave it with him.

How are those guys for getting work done in a reasonable timeframe ? I'm on a deadline with the dreaded NCT of course.

Edit: Just found out - GVD very very busy at present. Can't do any work on my machine for more than 2 weeks.
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby brccrx » Thu May 29, 2014 1:53 pm

mivecrx wrote:
brccrx wrote:

Sold two white astis, all info I knew about both cars was passed on to the buyers. Broke two mivecs that I wouldn't sell on, rusty lancer was one.

Got stung with one tho, some foreign clown sold me a car with loads of problems. His diy skills ran out when he took a grinder to the back suspension.

You only get what U deserve for, when You break Your word and rip someone of even for a small amount of money You become something worse than "clown"

Im sure You never told a single thing about the white asti even tho You knew everything as so called clown told You all about it when he discover it. And keep lying that he went with grinder on something when he haven't touch it.
Now You blame him for being honest, some genuione (not genuine) lad You are haha

Sorry for ot lads :r
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby goz_83 » Thu May 29, 2014 4:22 pm

Cool it lads. And there's no need for racist remarks mivecrx.

@Kace

They are quite busy at the moment, I know. They can't start working on my car until July. George is waiting for another guy to start working there end of June. It's too busy for himself and Robbie, but I noticed another guy working there yesterday, doing a bit of wet sanding. They're just doing small
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

PreviousNext

Return to FTO Technical