Suggestions for a sensible car

Discuss other marques here

Moderator: Moderators

Suggestions for a sensible car

Postby Mustang » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:30 am

The time has come for me to part company with the FTO. So I'm on the lookout for a sensible replacement. I'm currently driving a '97 FTO and would preferably like something newer, or at least the same age.
Criteria as follows:
Age '97+
Budget up to €4k
Engine size 1.5 to 2L
Must have a/c
These aside I'm not too fusy and have been considering all sorts, mostly medium sized rep mobiles, mondeos, primeras, galants, S40's etc.
Oh yea nothing by opel, and not the carina/avensis.
Keeping an open mind I thought I had considered everything, that was until MyfeckinFTO suggested the 156, which I hadn't really considered despite driving one on a regular basis.. and quite enjoying it!
So I'm open to suggestions from fellow motoring experts :wink:
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:52 am

A bit of a left-field option but here goes -( no siggering down the back!) - its a lot of car for the money - comfortable, good performance and not a bad looker either. And I'm pretty sure he'd take your arm off for 3.5K cash.

http://www.cbg.ie/Car_detail.asp?CBGID= ... Filter=All

Also have a bit of a soft spot for the older shape 3 series.

http://search.autotrader.ie/cgi-bin/adv ... d8891fb218
Last edited by Myfeckin FTO on Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:01 am

MfFTO wrote
A bit of a left-field option but here goes -( no siggering down the back!)

I did actually snigger at first :) However it is a lot of car for the money, and not one that I would have considered myself, so on that front a helpful suggestion!
I enquired about this car last night but it's sold :(
http://search.autotrader.ie/cgi-bin/adv ... 6f7f5c34c4
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby pergau » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:09 am

You would get a nice 98 Mazda 323f (old style nice shape) for that money - some came with AC. You could get a 98/99/00 new shape one for around that money too. They're grand cars but look a bit plain. I've had both and never had a moment's trouble with them.

Another suggestion is the Passat 1.8 or bigger.

I think that you should be differently choosy about the things you want in the car!

I would put more emphasis on ABS, Side impact bars and airbags although Aircon would be nice. Remember that you're buying a car that was built just at the start of the "safety as standard" era.
pergau
Nothing comes between me and my FTO
Nothing comes between me and my FTO

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:18 am

Mustang wrote:I enquired about this car last night but it's sold

I like - try and get one with leather though - there are heaps around at this money so make sure you drive a few - some will have a fair amount of rattles.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:52 pm

What about a 98/99 Ford Mondeo 2L Ghia? Top spec Mondeo with all the toys for not a lot of cash. A mate has one and he treats it like a piece of sh!t - the thing is reliable as hell and he never has any problems with it. It handles and goes surprisingly well (for a Ford that is).

On a side note, I'm sorry to hear that you're looking to change Mustang, its difficult to get enthusiatic owners like yourself on board, you will be missed!
Of course you're still welcome to come to the meets (as long as you keep your boxy, boring repmobile out of the pics ;))

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustang » Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:09 pm

)CJ wrote
What about a 98/99 Ford Mondeo 2L Ghia? Top spec Mondeo with all the toys for not a lot of cash

Yes I've considered the the Ghia alright -a definite possibility. One of the issues I find with it that they tend to have big miles >120k.....goes with the territory. But if I could find the right one!

CJ wrote
On a side note, I'm sorry to hear that you're looking to change Mustang, its difficult to get enthusiatic owners like yourself on board, you will be missed!

Thanks CJ. Don't write the epitaph yet though! I'll likely still be hanging around the forum regretting the decision to sell ( a bit like Shane :wink: .) The decision to change is purely a financial one. Before advertising I've had quite a lot of interest in the car, which is reassuring!

CJ wrote
Of course you're still welcome to come to the meets (as long as you keep your boxy, boring repmobile out of the pics )

Cheers CJ, I do enjoy the meets, especially the last one. Looks like the trip to Kenmare will be another big success. Think I'd feel a bit strange showing up in a rep box though :roll:

Mustang
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:16 pm

CJ wrote:On a side note, I'm sorry to hear that you're looking to change Mustang, its difficult to get enthusiatic owners like yourself on board, you will be missed!CJ

Likewise Mustang - though I don't think you'll be gone for long - in the meantime you should ask Shane for some advice on how to stay on the forum talking about FTO's while still driving a Golf :lol:
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:49 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:
CJ wrote:On a side note, I'm sorry to hear that you're looking to change Mustang, its difficult to get enthusiatic owners like yourself on board, you will be missed!CJ

It's a pity you have to sell alright especially when you're obviously a big fan of the car.... best of luck with whatever you do buy and I hope it's not too long before you're back with another FTO.

Likewise Mustang - though I don't think you'll be gone for long - in the meantime you should ask Shane for some advice on how to stay on the forum talking about FTO's while still driving a Golf :lol:

LOL - you have to keep a finger on the pulse (so to speak), sure it's good conversation and it pays to keep uptodate with problems, mods etc for the FTO (in preperation for an eventual return).....
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to Other Cars