Cambelt change

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Cambelt change

Postby soc » Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:04 pm

I think I might look at getting the cambelt changed - I think it's been a while since it was last done. I've read on the ftooc forum that changing the cambelt is a tricky enough job on the fto's V6 and that a special tool is required to do the job right.

Would Paul Nolan be the best bet as he's have done cambelts on the FTO a few times before? What kind of money are we taking?
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Cambelt change

Postby CJ » Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:53 pm

shane wrote:Would Paul Nolan be the best bet as he's have done cambelts on the FTO a few times before? What kind of money are we taking?

He's done if for me before, can't remember what it cost though, give him a call and ask - 086 2649884
He's the best man for the job IMO, theres a tendancy for guys unfamilar with the Mitsi V6 to fit the belt a tooth out, this screws around with the exhaust valves and drops power by about 25%, the ECU compensates for this so to protect the engine from damage.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Blue_fto » Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:34 pm

Hi

Just done my cambelt on my GPX & I helped my friendly mitsi mechanic to do this job. The biggest part of the job was getting access to the belt.
You need two pairs of hands to get the belt on. Also the cogs are spring loaded. The marks on some of the cog wheels are not particularly apparent. Putting it back together was not a problem as you remember the opposite of taking off.

I got the cambelt kit from camskills for £100 last week.

Cheers
MArk
Blue_fto

Return to FTO Technical