Eclipse RS

A forum dedicated to quick Japanese motors

Moderator: Moderators

Eclipse RS

Postby Dave » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:56 am

spotted an Eclipse RS yesterday on the Naas Road, right beside me at one stage, nice looking machine, it only had an some alloys and that was it but looked mean and that would have been fairly bog standard!
left hand drive though!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Eclipse RS

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:11 pm

Dave wrote:spotted an Eclipse RS yesterday on the Naas Road, right beside me at one stage, nice looking machine, it only had an some alloys and that was it but looked mean and that would have been fairly bog standard!
left hand drive though!

Not really a big fan of the Eclipse - not as much thought put into it as an FTO - not as pretty and will be bound to date more over the next couple of years.

Do like the RS versions of all Mitsu cars though - they seem more extreme than the type R's. Drove a Mitsu Asti RS the other night - really light - something like 975kg's - no soundproofing - bare interior - no panels in the boot - Advan racing wheels - front and rear strut braces - aftermarket mods on engine inc ECU - Induction & Manifold. 1.6 litre Mivec putting out 172BHP as standard (this felt like it had more) - Mivec kicked in at 6800RPM - seems pretty high to me - must have been that ECU - red lined at about 8500RPM (again no where near standard).

Sounded like a touring car - fantasic handling - and I'm sure the insurance would be about half of an FTO - still way off in the presence department when parked next to the FTO though.

The owner (lady) had been looking for an FTO Mivec - but couldn't get insurance - so she bought the Asti RS Mivec - insurance no prob - though she paid over 9K for a '96 - not good value compared to a FTO Mivec. Goes to show how insurance shapes the second hand car market.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:19 pm

yeah i must admit i prefer the FTO a hell of a lot more than the eclipse, but this one did look nice, but i reckon he was checking mine out just as much as i was checking his out!
the asti RS is a nice car too, very quick and for such a small engine! plus there are so many mods that can be done to it to pull those extra BHP's out of it, we provide all types of stuff for them, turbo, headers, camshafts etc!!! some power then for a 1.6 :shock:
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:27 pm

Dave wrote:yeah i must admit i prefer the FTO a hell of a lot more than the eclipse, but this one did look nice, but i reckon he was checking mine out just as much as i was checking his out!
the asti RS is a nice car too, very quick and for such a small engine! plus there are so many mods that can be done to it to pull those extra BHP's out of it, we provide all types of stuff for them, turbo, headers, camshafts etc!!! some power then for a 1.6 :shock:

This girl is looking for some additional mods - she is a real petrol head - so I'll point her in your direction - if we do that rolling road anytime some it would be interesting to compare a manual 1.6mivec to the Manual 2.0V6 mivec and the losses through the respective drivetrains.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:31 pm

yeah we'll look after her alright! we have a couple of headers coming in for some other 4g92 mivec engines! Along with my little piece of kit, once fitted i'll be heading straight down to the rollers, looking like mid to late november now at this stage, have the NCT at the end of the month so want to get that sorted before i go and change a few things!!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:40 pm

Let us know re the rolling road - this would be a great place for a meet.
I really want to see what the story is with what I'm putting out at the wheels - Would also be very interesting to see what your new hairdryer figures are like in comparison to a Mivec Manual. :twisted:
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:08 pm

very true cos that's what i'm interested in! torque should be well up and bhp should be near enough the mivec figures but we'll have to wait and see! ah i'll be throwing in new cam kit, pistons the lot really! :twisted: so if i can't hand the mivec's their asses on a plate, i'd be very disappointed! :twisted:
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:47 pm

Dave wrote:i'll be throwing in new cam kit, pistons the lot really! :twisted: so if i can't hand the mivec's their asses on a plate, i'd be very disappointed! :twisted:

Don't blame you - after going to all that trouble it would need to be worth it. Methinks it could be quite close though :wink:

A decat Manual Mivec with Filter, s/s exhaust & iridium plugs (like mine) will be a very interesting comparison to your turbo GS. Now where did I leave that RPW manifold?? - :D
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:49 pm

hhmmm i might get down to the rollers early so :wink:
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:58 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:Would also be very interesting to see what your new hairdryer figures are like in comparison to a Mivec Manual. :twisted:

And I might have gotten the golf Revo'd by then so I'd be interested to see what kind of bhp it would be pushing - some say it could be as much as 210bhp with 220-230lb/ft of torque but I'll believe that when I see it - I'd settle for 190bhp and 200lb/ft of torque :-)

Assuming I'm allowed come along now I've sold the GR.... :roll:
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:04 pm

of course, plus i wouldn't mind comparing figures to a chipped GTI, top figures i'll be looking at are 50-60% increase in BHP and anywhere up to 80% increase in torque! so in theory i could be looking at 187-200bhp and torque of around the same! close to 180-190 lb/ft!
compared with the rolling road figures of the best mivec at the last meet it came out with something like 193bhp and 146(?) lb/ft of torque!

oh another plus for me!! how many tirbo'd GS are there? :D
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:47 pm

Dave wrote:..in theory i could be looking at 187-200bhp and torque of around the same! close to 180-190 lb/ft!
compared with the rolling road figures of the best mivec at the last meet it came out with something like 193bhp and 146(?) lb/ft of torque!:D

Theres obviously no way a Mivec will be able to compete on torque with a turbo'd motor - but I will be well impressed if you can get your BHP figures up to Mivec level.

There seems to be a rather worrying build up in turbo cars going to this rolling road what with a turbo FTO & Shanes Golf (& the mondeo TD?) so the mivec torque figures are gonna look pretty poor in comparison.

I drove a 97 Lancer GSR not so long ago - had a 1.8 turbo engine (not EVO) and 4WD. Really good fun to drive. Performance was good low down the range - but I felt the GPX had the edge on top end power. How similar will your engine be to the 1.8turbo in the GSR??
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:54 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:How similar will your engine be to the 1.8turbo in the GSR??

AFAIK, they both share the same block (4G93) but have slightly different internals.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:07 pm

yeah the GSR is the 4G93 engine block, same as the GS, but there'll be some internal differences as CJ says, but i'll have a bigger turbo, larger injectors and so on, so hence my reasoning behind my high hopes :twisted:
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:28 pm

Dave wrote:yeah the GSR is the 4G93 engine block, same as the GS, but there'll be some internal differences as CJ says, but i'll have a bigger turbo, larger injectors and so on, so hence my reasoning behind my high hopes :twisted:

Sounds the mutts nuts - I'll be looking forward to seeing that - will you have to do anything with your exhaust (bore etc?) - I imagine that the setting up of the new gear is going to be the critical part of seeing good returns on horsepower. I doubt its as simple as bolting on a turbo - what other work have you/will you have to do :?:
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:45 pm

we'll have to get it professionally tuned, hence my reasoning for going along to the rollers, i'm getting on onboard computer type thing but it'll be just a case of being able to change boost pressures and stuff i'll still need some one to tune the Greddy ecu piggy back chip to ensure we're getting the best results from the system. as far as the exhaust goes, i'm getting a complete new manifold and down pipe that will bolt on..... Cermaic coated of course! larger injectors for the extra fuel, and an intercooler to push that extra cool air through the system!! it'll probably take a while to get it just right but we'll get there and i'll be sending CJ on a full step by step guide to the whole project that i'm sure he'll post up some where on here!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:44 pm

Dave wrote:we'll have to get it professionally tuned, hence my reasoning for going along to the rollers, i'm getting on onboard computer type thing but it'll be just a case of being able to change boost pressures and stuff i'll still need some one to tune the Greddy ecu piggy back chip to ensure we're getting the best results from the system. as far as the exhaust goes, i'm getting a complete new manifold and down pipe that will bolt on..... Cermaic coated of course! larger injectors for the extra fuel, and an intercooler to push that extra cool air through the system!! it'll probably take a while to get it just right but we'll get there and i'll be sending CJ on a full step by step guide to the whole project that i'm sure he'll post up some where on here!

Man this sounds amazing - oodles of turbo charged torque allied to brilliant handling with looks to die for ..... what more could you want in a car..... only think left would be 4wd :twisted:
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:45 pm

Dave wrote:
oh another plus for me!! how many tirbo'd GS are there? :D

exactly - serious performance and rariety..... a good combination
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:50 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:I drove a 97 Lancer GSR not so long ago - had a 1.8 turbo engine (not EVO) and 4WD. Really good fun to drive. Performance was good low down the range - but I felt the GPX had the edge on top end power. How similar will your engine be to the 1.8turbo in the GSR??

Well the one think I notice about the golf is that it doesn't pull as well at the upper rev range - loads of low down and mid-range torque but 4.5K+ rpms and it doesn't have near the hard edged acceleration of the V6. I suppose coming from an auto box with N/A to a manual with turbo is a big change though. I'd say a manual GR/GPX would be faster than the golf given a stretch of road (as well as around the twisties) - dunno how much cause I never drove a manual GR/GPX. But I suspect the golf is probably a bit quicker to 70 than the auto's.

I must get some photos together soon.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:03 am

ah that's why i'm spending some cash on this, there was the choice to spend the cash on upgrading to a manual GPX, but then there was the rariety and the fact of having a turbocharged FTO, i didn't think there was much choice there!!! should be interesting to see what the figures are coming off the rollers!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:39 am

Dave wrote:we'll have to get it professionally tuned, hence my reasoning for going along to the rollers, i'm getting on onboard computer type thing but it'll be just a case of being able to change boost pressures and stuff i'll still need some one to tune the Greddy ecu piggy back chip to ensure we're getting the best results from the system. as far as the exhaust goes, i'm getting a complete new manifold and down pipe that will bolt on..... Cermaic coated of course! larger injectors for the extra fuel, and an intercooler to push that extra cool air through the system!!

Jeez - Thats some spec alright - you are certainly going the whole hog - getting it all set-up to work effectively will be the trick - when it does it will surely have more power than a GPX :oops: - would a turbo on a GPX cost much more than on a GS??
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:42 am

yeah the turbo on a GPX would cost more alright, reason being that the kit is the stage three kit so there's a lot more that comes with it! for some reason RPW aren't producing a stage one or two kit for the GPX.
my kit is a hybrid of stage one and stage two, basically getting the stage two turbo itself and a few other bits and pieces.

just have to start thinking of a cool name now for the car!! :D
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:56 am

Dave wrote:just have to start thinking of a cool name now for the car!! :D

How 'bout "The Burgundy Bullet"! :lol:

Disclaimer: Myfeckin FTO acknowledges that "The Red Bullet" TM aready exists but that this is a Scooby and has no resemblance to an FTO
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:00 am

yeah maybe! but i need a model name! like GS-R or something like that!!
ah roll on the days where i'll be up there competing with the Scoobies! all very possible with a few more mods! all cash depending of course!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:41 am

Dave wrote:yeah maybe! but i need a model name! like GS-R or something like that!!

Ahh Ok then! - How about GPX-8R (GPX eater)?? :D

or gTs - a GS logo with a large T going through the middle or as a Background - there are heaps of sign places that could come up with a good logo.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Next

Return to Japanese Performance