i have no ignition light engine turns over but will not star

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

i have no ignition light engine turns over but will not star

Postby davyb » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:38 am

have changed ecu have had imbobilizer checked my car has been of the road for a year i t went to my local garage but they could not find the fault is there anyone that may know whats wrong
davyb
1st gear
1st gear

Re: i have no ignition light engine turns over but will not star

Postby steelroe » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:10 pm

When you say no ignition light wat do you mean.
You need to check if you hacve spark and fuel.
I reckon you might be looking at an IFS problem. Ignition Failure sensor. Common enough fault. Car will turn over but will not start.
But you need to confirm firstly if you are getting spark and fuel.
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:43 pm

Also, presume It's a v6?
colm_mcm

Postby davyb » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:10 pm

sorry it is an m reg mivec v6 this is what happend i called to my mums . went back to car put key in ignition and got no ingnition light the one with the lightning symbol on it. car turnd over but would not start . had to leave car overnight . went back the next day to tow it home. put key in ignition and the ignition light came on and the car started . and went fine for months then one day went to pick up my mate up and parked up to wait for him . with the engine running there was a slight noise from near the glove box the engine stoped and has never started since i check all fuses all fine . so was tokd it was the ecu bought one and changed it still no ignition light and engin turns over but will not start . was told to have imobilizer checked had it checked . it was ok 3 different mechanics have had a look and all have give up its been off the road for over a year now i wanted one of these cars for years . i got made redundant from my job . so cant afford any more garages .. many thanks for your time
davyb
1st gear
1st gear

Postby steelroe » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:46 am

Are you sure you have Fuel and spark. If you have then no reson for it not to start other than a timing issue and I would expect it still to run but badly.
The noise you are talking about may have been the fule pump relay. It is in the centre console near the pass footwell.
FTO is no more complicated than any other car from that time.
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby davyb » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:06 pm

thankyou for getting back to me so soon . i will look at the fuel relay how will i know if it has failed can it be bypassed or can i take it out and test the relay off a battery . i have electrical knowlage and test equipment ' if the relay has gone is it a part readly available i hope this works the car has been stored in my garage on trickle charge so its escaped the bad winter many thanks for your time as you said it is a complicated car and no one has got as close to finding the problem .thankyou
davyb
1st gear
1st gear

Postby steelroe » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:24 pm

Easiest thing to do is remove the rear seat. Remove the little panel covering the fuel pump. Get someone to try and start the car and you listen to see if you can hear the pump. It will only run when engine is cranking.
You could also supply power directly to the pump.
Have you checke for fault codes. I learned recently the hard way that some codes do not always bring on the engine fault light.
My money is still on the IFS here. or alarm/immob problem
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby davyb » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:20 am

i have loads of time on my hands at the moment . and will go with what you say . i will go with the ifs as you obviously know what your talking about .where can i get one i am based in north wales i get no codes of the ecu as the original was replaced with one i bought of the internet but i still have the original s/n md305411.ichanged it because i was told this was the problem i did change the ifs also for a second hand one of the internet .i still have original j5t i will check conections tomorrow. the ecu on at the moment shows no codes . as the engine has never run with this ecu thanks so much for your time and help as for the imobilizer i did have it checked and it was ok but if i have to take it off i will . many thanks
davyb
1st gear
1st gear

Re: i have no ignition light engine turns over but will not

Postby davyb » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:59 am

still no luck on starting car . it still turns over but will not fire i have checked on advise given . ignition sensor replaced still no ignition light engine is mivec with triptronc auto box the car is in good condition hasnt been modified apart from full stainless exaust and is more or less original i value all your help loads of people have looked at this car and have all walked away scratching there head it nearly 2 years since the car ran i understand it is acomplacated car but there must be something else i can do the car is to good to scrap if anyone can help please get back many thanks for all your time
davyb
1st gear
1st gear

Postby d_dan » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:55 am

Crap... cant think of the name so maybe the guys will help me out.
if your looking into the engine bay @ the coolant tower look down there is a small black unit. about 1.5x1 inches in size 1 bolt either side of it. I think thats the fault.
Went on mine once and had the same symptoms
d_dan
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby davyb » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:45 pm

many thanks for getting back to me so soon i think the unit you mentioned is the ifs i may be wrong its has a bolt each side and some sort heatsink compound to mount it i changed it with a replacement j5t the new one maybe faulty as it was a second hand unit of the internet and i dont know how to test it to see if it is faulty thanks for your time and quick response
davyb
1st gear
1st gear

Postby d_dan » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:01 pm

thats it. Just put it in and cross your fingers
d_dan
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby davyb » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:13 pm

thanx for getting back to me so quickly . i have changed ifs and still the same . ie no engine light when key is turned engine turns over but will not start . i have spent hours on the car but i cant give up . i have owned an mr2 for 15 years and have worked on it without any problems . i love japanese cars and always wanted one i saved up for years and got one the car has service history . always serviced with mitsubishi . when it was running it sounded amazing . its been to 3 local garages but none found the fault . when it first broke down it was picked up by the aa . they also couldnt find the fault . i am an electrician and understand dc wiring and have spent hours looking at the wiring diagram for this car . i still get no engine light . but it will turn over all day the battery is kept on trickle charge . i cant give up on it . the car looks good standing still .and still makes me smile when i sit in it . as i was made redundant for my job so my funds are low . i live in wrexham n wales . there is a couple of ftos in my area . i have asked the owner if they had any problems both said they knew nothin about the engines . to get this car running again would be like winning the lottery . as its my pride and joy . many thank to all the guys on the site for all your help and time i wont give up many thanx
davyb
1st gear
1st gear

Postby Kace » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:37 pm

Got to be something small - keep trying !

Have you brought this one up with Paul Nolan at all ? Might be worth a call to get his views. He would be one of the most experienced FTO mecahnics in the land.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby davyb » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:29 pm

thanks for getting back will take your advice and keep on trying many thanks
davyb
1st gear
1st gear

Return to FTO Technical