Buying a 95 gx with noisy tappets

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Buying a 95 gx with noisy tappets

Postby collyb1 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:38 pm

Hello all . I a returing FTo member . I had myself a few gpx's a few years ago and I'm looking to get back into one . I've my eye on a cheap 95 gx . She's off the road at the mo . No nct , low mileage for her age . Has a few things need repairing but nothing serious . Or so I hope . The car is going for 500 euro . It needs a stepper motor , a small bit of rust cut away and re welded and a bonnet respraying and one or two more small things just to tidy it up an ready it for an nct . It's starting an driving ok an the tip box seems to be ok too . The only issue I have with it is she's rattling a bit on start up . I take it these are the tappets ? Can these be cleaned or adjusted on the gx model ? And also is there a chance this rattling might be a big end bearing or something ? I want to budget around another 600 on top of the 500 for the car to have her back on the road and all working ok . What do ye think ?
collyb1

Re: Buying a 95 gx with noisy tappets

Postby brccrx » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:45 am

Rattling bottom end sounds much different to tappet noise tbh
Can U bring a mechanic friend with U to check it over, he would have a good idea whats causing the noise!
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby collyb1 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:16 am

I've been assured by the seller that it's tappets . But as it's the gx model the tappets will need replacing . He told me that any rattling or tapping disseapers after a minute or so of idle . I know 500 quid isn't alot for a car an I don't expect perfection but I'm hoping it is only tappets as I like the car :(
collyb1

Postby Chris_Heilong » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:38 am

also if its a 1995 then its a GR not a GX as the GX replaced the GR in late 1997 and a few parts are different.
White 98 GX, HID lights, SS Exhaust, 17" BK racing Alloys, lowered Suspension, Veilside rear bumper, illuminated Door handles, Leatherette seats
Chris_Heilong
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby StewyD32 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:05 pm

The tappets will cost you more than 500 alone to get done with parts and labour unless you do it yourself, an I'd advise you to not as its a pig of a job.
Had a tappet noise on my first FTO but was only slight so left it and for used to it.
It's been discussed on here several times. Have a search and see.
Silver 97 Mirage Asti V coupe
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Return to FTO Technical