It's been a while

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

It's been a while

Postby karlf » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:31 pm

Haven't been on the site in a long time. I haven't driven my Fto in a long time and it's been sitting up for about 3/4 years. Finally decided to either get rid of it by selling it (probably only for parts at this stage) or getting it back in a drivable condition. Not too sure if that's feasible given I haven't driven it in so long and there is some rust on the wheel arches and some damage from where some git broke into it.

I'm thinking about using it as a second car. Mines a 96 mivec gpx. I've heard as it's a second car that it is possible to get cheaper insurance, classic insurance limited to 5000 km per annum. Does anyone know if this is true? Does anyone do it and if so what's insurance like?

I'm 35, full license and no penalty points with a full NCB. I'm not sure with insurance prices if I could justify it but I always said I'd keep it. I loved driving an Fto which is probably why I owned 3 over the years.

Thanks Karl
karlf
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Re: It's been a while

Postby Bernard » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:52 pm

Definitely keep it if you can, I've seen so many people that regret selling up.
Check the insurance section, I'm sure there's been some discussion around classic insurance... as far as I know there's a company in the north that do it.

Oh and welcome back, it might be a little quieter around here than you remember.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kace » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:58 pm

Autoline will insure it as a classic as long as a) you have another main car, b) the car is not parked on the street and can be parked in a private residence / garage.

Let us know how you get on.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby karlf » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:11 pm

Hi Bernard.
Definitely a lot quieter than I remember. I checked the posts and there are very few in 2017. Are there many active members?

I definitely check that out, thanks.

I went down to look at the car as I haven't seen it in about a year or so. I was down when I was told someone broke into it but it's in a lot worse condition than I thought. There's a lot of rust on the wheel arches and along the body kit side skirts are fixed in place. It might be a lot more work than I thought.
My cousin is a mechanic and I'll get his opinion but I think mechanically it won't need much, but I it flew through its last NCT when I was driving it. It's mostly cosmetic but I'm not sure how much rust damage there is. It would be a pity to have to scrap it as had feck all mileage for its age and I but a bit into it. There was HKS dials, project F door cups and handbrake, a steering wheel mounted paddle shifter, face-lift bumper, custom made alloys and a vented bonnet. I also had a stainless steel slam panel that I had made in a previous employers. I'm getting a bit nostalgic talking about it.

I found a slam panel that I had made in the booth. I sold a few on here and oneust have been left over. Anybody want it? Free to good home.
karlf
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby karlf » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:15 pm

Hi Kace,

I'll check them out and see what insurance would be. The car will probably need a lot of work having seen it for the first time in about a year this evening. There's a lot of rust on it.
I'll definitely look into it but it might be a while before I could get it back to a road worthy condition. I didn't think it was as bad as it is.
karlf
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby Bernard » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:37 pm

You could count the active members on your fingers unfortunately (just a dip I'm sure) (have been saying that for a long time), the facebook group is a little busier.
Could you post a picture of the HKS dials, can't say I've heard of them.... did you mean KMC?
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby karlf » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:12 am

Yeah meant KMC. HKS was the bumper that came on the car when I bought it.
At least I got 1/3 of it right.
karlf
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby goz_83 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:20 pm

For the cosmetic stuff and rust, you could ask George at GVD Autos. He has worked on a few of our cars. I actually just finished a rebuild of his website today. http://www.gvdautos.ie

Dublin 12
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:15 pm

Stick me down for the slam panel Karl if that's OK.

I second the statement re George. Fire the car to him for a week and spend €150 or €200 and he'll have the rust sorted for the most part. He welded my chassis legs when the NCT guys as much told me I needed a new car. It passed no problem once done.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby karlf » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:39 pm

Hi Kace,
Haven't been on so only seeing this now. The slam panel is yours. I'll pm number to arrange collection.
The rust is to the body panels. Wings and where the body kit is fitted to the car, it's rusted a bit. I'll get onto George and see what he thinks but I'm assuming it would need respraying (possibly whole panels) if rust is removed. Cost might be an issue.
karlf
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Return to General FTO Discussion