Hi all

Say hello to other forum members

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with the forum rules before posting!

Hi all

Postby FTO Dreamer » Tue May 18, 2004 1:47 pm

Just a quick hello to everybody.

I don't own a FTO yet, hence the name FTO Dreamer. It was love at first sight for me. My dad used to work in a small garage, and one day they decided to try importing jap cars. They got moslty lancers and colts and civics, but they did get one FTO. It was a GR Tip.
I was 19 at the time and my dad let me have it one sunny Saturday, for the whole day. At the time I had a 1.3L basic starlett. The first time I drove it, I still remeber it as though it were yesterday. It was like a bull dog on a lease. I lived in it for the whole day.
Anyway I now am 26 and have 4yrs ncb. Looking for my first FTO. Hopefully a GPX manual. I have been reading the forum for the past year, and loved every story of run-ins with other cars and how the FTO left them for dust.
Hopefully I will get my dream car and be able to write my own stories soon.

Best of luck
Stephen
FTO Dreamer
1st gear
1st gear

Postby Dave » Tue May 18, 2004 2:06 pm

best of luck in finding one, i looked a while back for one but found it hard to find a manual at sensible money, but as i'm sure some of the other guys will tell you don't rule out the gpx tip, far more out there or maybe even a manual GR.

best of luck with the search.

dave
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Tue May 18, 2004 2:21 pm

Welcome on board Stephen, its good to know you've been keeping an eye on the forums for some time, with some luck (and some patience!) you'll find what you want. I'll second what Dave has said, prices for manual GPXs can be artificially high, sellers tend to overprice on the basis that they think they'll get the people paying over teh odds. In saying that, if you hang about, you will get one for approx. 6k (and not the 9k that some guy in the B&S is currently looking for). Manual GRs can be just as fulfilling to own as long as you don't mind smaller front brakes, no MIVEC and a less impressive engine bay ;) These things are secondary mind, an FTO is an FTO.
There are plenty of GPX Tips out there so if you're willing to go down that route you should have no problem finding one.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby FTO Dreamer » Tue May 18, 2004 2:22 pm

Thanks dave,

Just checked Buy and Sell today. There are 2 GPX manuals for sale.

Mitsubishi FTO GPX '94. V6 Mivec, 214 bhp, manual, rare model, e/w, e/m, p/s, a/c, 78k mls, alloys, CD player, alarm, immob, NCT 03/05, Price: €5,995

Mitsubishi FTO 2.0 GPX '95. Mivec, manual, silver, mint cond, top spec, e/w, e/s/r, e/m, a/c, 18" wheels, HKS exhaust, Price: €8,500 Contact: 0872959823.

Might try the €5,995 one???
FTO Dreamer
1st gear
1st gear

Postby CJ » Tue May 18, 2004 2:24 pm

FTO Dreamer wrote:Might try the €5,995 one???

Be on the lookout with that one, its been in there for about 4 or 5 months, in saying that he was looking for a lot more for it originally....

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Tue May 18, 2004 2:27 pm

yeah i'd agree with CJ on that suspicious "214" bhp, not likely plus it's been in there for ages. only thing about the GR's is RPW now do a turbo kit for them, there was an article in the last newsletter, only thing is it'll cost about 3500-4000 sterling! :wink:
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby FTO Dreamer » Tue May 18, 2004 2:29 pm

Thanks lads for the advice,
Might give it a try, will let you know if its any good.

Thanks again
Stephen
FTO Dreamer
1st gear
1st gear

Postby Mustang » Wed May 19, 2004 10:39 am

I'm in a similar situation to FTO dreamer. Have been keeping an eye on the market, and the forum, for a few months now, but started looking in earnest and test driving a few weeks ago. Great car, but there is some very rough stuff out there! That particular "214 bhp" GPX has been there for ages, and despite being initially overpriced, I reckon it's probably not in the best of nick if it hasn't been shifted by now. That's the first add I saw with a 214bhp quote, and I guess it's possible, but probably just a standard unmodified engine. That said I've seen a figure of 214bhp quoted for at least two other cars. I guess it's just down to people being misinformed, or spoofing :!:
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Wed May 19, 2004 11:43 am

Mustang wrote:I've seen a figure of 214bhp quoted for at least two other cars. I guess it's just down to people being misinformed, or spoofing :!:

That latter is true in my experience, all you have to is stick "FTO GPX BHP" into a search engine, you have your figures in seconds.

I would agree with the statement about a lot of rough cars on the market, the fact is that not everyone has looked after their cars and theres bound to be plenty of FTOs out there that have been dogged to bits and had an oil change every two years. The amount of 'mint' or immaculate' FTOs I've seen in the recent past is something else, both the interior and the bodywork on a lot of these cars is usually of a low standard.

Anyway, keep looking, theres also plenty of decent cars on the market, the right one will eventually come along!

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Wed May 19, 2004 11:44 am

Dave wrote:best of luck in finding one, i looked a while back for one but found it hard to find a manual at sensible money, but as i'm sure some of the other guys will tell you don't rule out the gpx tip, far more out there or maybe even a manual GR.

best of luck with the search.

dave

I don't think there is any major difference between the tip GR and tip GPX - I drove Ciarans and apart from the MIVEC roar (which admittedly is pretty sweet) and the bigger brakes I didn't really see any performance difference with my tip GR. Although I'm sure there are some differences when you get to silly speeds (90/100+).

My advice would be to look for a manual first - after that get the best car you can for the money :-)
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Wed May 19, 2004 11:47 am

CJ wrote:Manual GRs can be just as fulfilling to own as long as you don't mind smaller front brakes, no MIVEC and a less impressive engine bay ;)

hehe, here comes another GR plug..... :-)

Gotta say Ciaran's engine bay is pretty impressive - not sure I've seen a cleaner engine before.... or is that just cause all my engines have been dirty :?

But bear in mind that retro fitting the GPX calipers to the GR is an easy job and won't cost that much if you decide to uprate the disks and pads anyway (only an extra 220-250 euro). And bung on a quality filter and you'll get an really nice induction roar - it's no MIVEC but it is very satisfying all the same.

Like I said - I'd be looking for a manual first as this is where you will really notice the performance improvements.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Wed May 19, 2004 11:51 am

i see this has now turned into the infamous debate bewteen GR's and GPX's!!

i'll say nothing about my monster of a GS :wink:
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Wed May 19, 2004 11:57 am

Dave wrote:i see this has now turned into the infamous debate bewteen GR's and GPX's!!

i'll say nothing about my monster of a GS :wink:

hehe - If had to choose between 2 similar condition cars for same money where 1 was a GR and 1 was a GPX I'd go for the GPX everytime. I suppose I was just saying that if you're in the market for a tip don't rule out the GR - you'll probably have a better selection to choose from as there are more on the market (I think)...... but if top performance is your aim then get a manual.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to Introduce yourself