WANTED: Sunroof

Use this forum to buy or sell your FTO or FTO parts (Private adverts only)

Moderator: Moderators

WANTED: Sunroof

Postby Uncle B » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:36 pm

I'm an idiot, managed to completely forget that I took my sunroof apart to clean the interior roof panels and of course I never reattached it properly.

Mechanic was taking it to the garage when it flew off (probably driving at the limit - 100kph)
So now that the glass is cleared up off the road, I'm in need of a new sunroof :oops:

Anyone know of anyone breaking any GPX's ATM or have a spare one by any chance?
The NCT is this Sat so if I could get one before then it'd be great... It's a bit of a longshot I know.

Ugh!

Thanks,

Paul
Get out of here Nebulon! No one likes your style...
Uncle B
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Re: WANTED: Sunroof

Postby Kace » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:08 pm

Can't help you Paul but that's a great story :wink:

Glad to hear that you are back in action with the car.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Uncle B » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:38 pm

Glad it made you smile :mrgreen:
Doubt I'll get one by Sat tbh... might even have to have a look in a breakers yard or something

I'm not living too far from you by the sounds of things Kace btw so you might see me around from time-to-time
Uncle B

Postby goz_83 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:41 pm

http://www.adverts.ie/car/mitsubishi/ft ... to/4293564 might be your only option right now
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Uncle B » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:19 pm

Cheers Gary, I saw the same one on Donedeal actually.

I assume you were interested in getting it NCTed etc rather than for parts? Let me know if not!

I went down the parts car route and I'd honestly like to avoid it again if possible. The seats look nice enough and it looks OK in general from the pictures.
I suppose if I got it for 500 took out the seats, sunroof and other easy access bit and then took it to be scrapped I might be alright but it really is a hassle... I suppose if its just been bought then driving it sans NCT and Tax might be acceptable for a few days but I'd rather not.

Such a pain!
Uncle B

Postby goz_83 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:28 pm

I am not the owner of it, but I know the guy will sell for €500. That's the price he said he would let it go for. If I were you, I would buy it and break it. You'll find it very hard finding an FTO breaking with a sunroof. It might be an expensive way to get a sunroof, but you'll at least make your money back in parts. When you take what will sell and what you want kept, scrap it. It's the only way you will have what you need by Saturday, that's for sure.
Last edited by goz_83 on Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby mivecrx » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:14 am

Uncle B wrote:Cheers Gary, I saw the same one on Donedeal actually.

I assume you were interested in getting it NCTed etc rather than for parts? Let me know if not!

I went down the parts car route and I'd honestly like to avoid it again if possible. The seats look nice enough and it looks OK in general from the pictures.
I suppose if I got it for 500 took out the seats, sunroof and other easy access bit and then took it to be scrapped I might be alright but it really is a hassle... I suppose if its just been bought then driving it sans NCT and Tax might be acceptable for a few days but I'd rather not.

Such a pain!

Seb(brccrx)has an fto with sunroof, dunno if he's breaking that one but worth asking.

Much is one worth?
mivecrx
Have you seen my FTO tattoo?
Have you seen my FTO tattoo?

Postby Uncle B » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:48 am

Hey mivecrx, thanks for that, I've PMed him so hopefully he has one!
It's hard to gauge how much they're worth as they aren't sold/needed that often as far as I can tell.
I don't think they break that often unless you're an eejit like I am!

Gary, I've PMed the guy on Adverts because he said on the DD ad that he'd break if there was interest.

I offered 150 for the sunroof which I think is very fair given the whole car is ~500
100+ for the seats and around the same for the alloys, head/tail lights, front/rear stuct braces etc. and then scrap and you'd be at/over 500 without doing any heavy duty breaking at all.
I'm living in Dublin now though and can't have another wreck of an FTO at parents house again!

Cheers,
Paul
Uncle B

Postby Uncle B » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:33 pm

Tried a load of breakers today and there's nothing out there at all...
Will they even NCT it if it's not present, I know the sunroof is pretty important to the structure of the car right? Still wouldn't mind seeing how emissions etc. are
EDIT: The sunroof isn't mentioned in the "Glass" section of the NCT checklist, but the roof is mentioned under "Bodywork" - I'm expecting them to refuse to test it based on this but I might see what happens.

Ugh it looks like I'll have to have words with my long suffering parents about having another car around for a while - really wish it was a non-sunroof version now!
Uncle B

Postby goz_83 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:36 pm

Nah, what you really wish is that you had put it back on properly :)

I would take it to the centre anyway. They might not even notice and might just think you left it open :lol:

I would see it as being a visual retest if anything.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:49 pm

Could you not cover it up with something - neatly. A piece of black stiff cardboard or something. I'm sure they wouldn't notice.
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby brccrx » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:45 am

U want to borrow mine sunroof Paul? If it easy to detach the glass of, sure come get it tomorrow and return when U have the NCT sorted?

Im not breaking that car, Its a nice shell and quite low mileage on it (i think its only 120k) so it would be real pity to do that.
Expensive lesson that U should put the bits right the way it came apart :)
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby goz_83 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:54 am

brccrx wrote:U want to borrow mine sunroof Paul? If it easy to detach the glass of, sure come get it tomorrow and return when U have the NCT sorted?

Im not breaking that car, Its a nice shell and quite low mileage on it (i think its only 120k) so it would be real pity to do that.
Expensive lesson that U should put the bits right the way it came apart :)

Yeah Seb the whole frame is only held in by 4 small bolts that come off with a star piece. I took mine off when I was treating it for rust spots to make sure the job was done right.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Uncle B » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:32 pm

Hey Seb,
That's a really generous offer but I think I'll leave it. It'll probably be more hassle than it's worth.
I'd have to make my way to longford to meet you (either bus or train) get the S/R off you today or tomorrow (very early) and make my way to Galway (bus)
Do the test tomorrow - may or may not fail (hasnt been driven much at all in the last year)
And then return the S/R to you and still might have no NCT!

The alternative is do the NCT tomorrow, fail for sure, but see what else needs to be done, if anything.
It'll hopefully just be a visual retest for teh sunroof.

I'm thinking of meeting the adverts seller at a breakers/scrap yard in Cork, taking the easy to get at bits off the car (seats, lights, braces, alloys)and then just scrapping it/sell to breaker?
What do ye think? No hassle of driving it to Galway with no NCT/Tax, no chance of breakdown, no petrol costs etc. Most importantly there wont be another car at the parents place!
Thanks for all the help,
Paul
Uncle B

Postby Uncle B » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:47 pm

Adverts guy says he'll let me have the sunroof for €190. I know it's a lot but it saves a ton of hassle so I'm just going to go for it - I'll let ye all know how it pans out!
Thanks again,
Paul
Uncle B

Return to For Sale