NCT in a Forthnight

Discuss issues related to the NCT \ MOT

Moderator: Moderators

NCT in a Forthnight

Postby Keith » Tue May 17, 2005 11:53 am

My NCT was due in march but have it booked for 31/05

My fog light switch is broken, melted at the back, do they check the fogs?
I know two other cars that went in with no fog light switch installed (both jap cars) and they passed.

I also have no hazards working, no reverse lights, broken back license plate and some bulbs that are gone. Planning to get these done asap.

I also have two oil leaks on the engine, they aren't bad but look nasty. Anyone ever been failed on this?
GPX Manual - WIP
Keith
Octane king
Octane king

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Tue May 17, 2005 12:06 pm

They don't check fogs if you don't have any - but I don't know what the story is if you do - I imagine they would want them to work. I take it your car came in from the UK - Don't believe it was ever a requirement for an import to have a fog light fitted in Ireland.

Sounds like you have a bit of work to do on the lighting front.

As for the oil leaks - where are they coming from? - You'd actually be surprised what tightening the bolts around the head does to improve this.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Keith » Wed May 18, 2005 8:14 pm

oil is coming out around the heads, both sides.

I need a reverse light switch, I think they are standard on colts, lancers and galants from the same year. The hazard lights are due to the actual switch or the control unit. The bulbs are fine. the fog light switch has melted at the back, need new one.

No idea if the car came from england or not, bought it second hand here, buy and sell. Gonna have a busy weekend thats for sure.
GPX Manual - WIP
Keith
Octane king
Octane king

Postby Mustang » Thu May 19, 2005 9:23 am

Guys I think there is some confusion here over the fog light issue.
I believe MfFTO is referring to a rear fog light (non standard and required in the UK)? while Keith is referring to the front (standard) fogs!
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: NCT in a Forthnight

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Thu May 19, 2005 10:40 am

Keith wrote:I know two other cars that went in with no fog light switch installed (both jap cars) and they passed.

Maybe you're right Mustang - My impression from reading the above comments was that it was in regard to rear fogs - standard on all new cars sold in Ireland - but not on imports.
The front fogs would not make much of a difference I would imagine as its not a legal requirement and is not fitted as standard to the majority of cars.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Keith » Thu May 19, 2005 3:32 pm

Sorry, my bad, its the rear fog light switch,

located here on mine

The symbol is on the switch on my dash so they'll know its there.
GPX Manual - WIP
Keith
Octane king
Octane king

Postby Mustang » Thu May 19, 2005 3:37 pm

On my car that switch is for the front fogs! You sure there are rear fogs fitted? Generally there are two approaches for fitting rear fogs, use one of the bulbs in the existing light cluster. Fit a dirty big rectangular light in the bumper. This tends to be done on UK cars only as it's not a requirement here.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Keith » Thu May 19, 2005 3:57 pm

ha ha, now i'm confused. The switch hadn't worked from the time I bought the car. There is no ugly rectangular red light in the bumper :lol: I just presumed there was bulb in the existing rear light cluster. Was this an optional extra on production?
GPX Manual - WIP
Keith
Octane king
Octane king

Postby Mustang » Thu May 19, 2005 4:08 pm

Keith wrote
I just presumed there was bulb in the existing rear light cluster. Was this an optional extra on production?

If you are referring to a fog light mounted in the rear light cluster, then I'm almost 99.9% sure the answere is NO. This is an aftermarket retrofit usually only done in the UK for the SVA and the MOT tests.
Theres a very easy way to solve this, Remove one of the front side light/indicator pods, if it holds three bulbs (indicator, parking light, fog light) then you have front fogs, if it only holds two bulbs you don't have front fogs! (back to scratching your head!)
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Keith » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:57 pm

Cheers mustang, it was the front ones.

Got the car in today and it passed, much to my surprise as my hazard switch was broken. They didn't even mention it to me at the end of the
test. They didn't mention the oil leaks either. Everything else I got done
over the weekend.
GPX Manual - WIP
Keith
Octane king
Octane king

Return to NCT \ MOT