Insure pretty much any car for €990?!

Compare and discuss insurance quotes here (Registered users only)

Moderator: Moderators

Insure pretty much any car for €990?!

Postby CJ » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:50 pm

Seems that 123.ie are doing a deal in that they will insure any car under 3000cc for €990 euro (over 25 or under 25 with full NCB). The excess is pretty high but that might not be such a big deal for some of you out there paying silly premiums. I havn't checked it out fully, theres bound to be a catch somewhere though, check out http://www.123.ie/motor/quote_xs.htm for more info.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AL » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:08 pm

jesus thats pretty good,

but ive just got my insurance renewed today, after a long hard battle with FBD ive managed to get my policy renewed for 1003 euro, fully comp, full protection. only 400 excess too.
this is over 400 euro less than their amount stated on my renewal form 4 weeks ago :lol:
it pays to be a right pain in the ar$e, lol
AL
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby AL » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:10 pm

BACKSIDE?????? :r
i cant remember writing that word ,lol
AL

Postby CJ » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:24 pm

AL wrote:BACKSIDE?????? :r
i cant remember writing that word ,lol

Thats because the forum auto censors 'certain' words, we try to keep things nice and clean over @ fto-ireland.com, none of your language now! ;)

\"AL wrote:but ive just got my insurance renewed today, after a long hard battle with FBD ive managed to get my policy renewed for 1003 euro, fully comp, full protection. only 400 excess too

Thats pretty good, thats more or less what I paid with QD last year, thinking about it now, I might move down to TPF&T this year, the car isn't worth enough to justify FC and chances are that I'll be forking out myself in the event of any damage in an effort to keep the <5 year NCB intact...

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Insure pretty much any car for &#8364;990?!

Postby Mustang » Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:50 pm

CJ wrote:Seems that 123.ie are doing a deal in that they will insure any car under 3000cc for €990 euro (over 25 or under 25 with full NCB). The excess is pretty high but that might not be such a big deal for some of you out there paying silly premiums. I havn't checked it out fully, theres bound to be a catch somewhere though, check out http://www.123.ie/motor/quote_xs.htm for more info.

CJ
CJ wrote:Seems that 123.ie are doing a deal in that they will insure any car under 3000cc for €990 euro (over 25 or under 25 with full NCB). The excess is pretty high but that might not be such a big deal for some of you out there paying silly premiums. I havn't checked it out fully, theres bound to be a catch somewhere though, check out http://www.123.ie/motor/quote_xs.htm for more info.

CJ

Hmmmmm.
Sounds ok. I think they were originally quoting a figure of €1123, I guess they decided to drop it below the critical €1k mark.
I do have a slight concern over the whole NCB issue and their requirement for same.
A representative for XS direct was on the Sunday supplement (today fm Sunday mornings) a few weeks back. The gist of it was that this system, as I understood it, was doing away with the whole concept of NCB. Therefore fixed premium for all -no reduction after a number of years with them, accident free. But also no loading when taking out the policy if you recently had an accident (Perhaps that is subject to the upper €20k limit specified on the above link -not mentioned during the radio interview!!!!)
He reckoned that the NCB system was slightly flawed, You carefully build up your 5 yrs NCB and then when an accident occurs (an accident, it's not like you set out to crash!) you potentially loose it all -The alternative being to pay for the damage yourself -no point in having insurance taht being the case -seems unfair when you think about it :roll:
Whereas this system allows you to start with a relatively low premium (for a performance car) and the costs remain fixed.

My concern here is that if you took out insurance with them and then left a year or two down the line -would you have a traditional NCB accepted by other insurers....This product is a complete departure and I'd be concerned about the transferability of the NCB/driver experience.
I'd be concerned that the established insurers may not recognise time spent with XS as valid towards an NCB.

In Ireland the NCB is a common currency between insurers.

But if you take the UK market which has a huge number of insurers offereing some diverse products, The NCB is not always easily transferable.

I am being devils advocate here. However I do welcome a sensible alternative to the vast sums of money that people have to pay for insurance. :smt023
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Ivan E » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:26 pm

Funny you should say that, they say if you are under 25 you need 5 years NCB.

I think, if you're 30+, you'd have to go with the €1,290 as €4k is just too much as an excess.
Ivan E
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby JD » Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:56 am

While I'm all for any initiative that lowers insurance prices, I see a huge drawback with this one. If we end up with a load of young drivers out there with this high excess, what happens when one of them hits YOU. I don't fancy the battle that I'd have to get them to cough up in the event. e.g. young bloke side swipes you causing £3 grand worth of damage - Insurance say nothing to do with us - young bloke says Foff - I wish you luck trying to get the money.

I was hit by a guy about 12 years ago who was entirely in the wrong, and admitted it at the time of the accident - he sideswiped me and there were no witnesses - I told police and insurance company - he said he'd pay up - and didn't - he wouldn't fill in his insurance acident report !! Hibernian told me there was nothing they could do untill he did!!! (whicj I still don't believe) - they wouldn't sanction him or take him off their books. It finally (months later) came down to my solicitor who told me it could go either way if I took a case against him - i.e. I was taking on the cost risk of the case, including his costs if I lost etc. etc..

I wouldn't like think that a high percentage of young drivers out there had 4k excesses that I will have to fight to get paid if they hit me.

Anyone else any views on this side of it?

JD
JD

Return to Motor Insurance