NCT - rear seatbelts

Discuss issues related to the NCT \ MOT

Moderator: Moderators

NCT - rear seatbelts

Postby quinda » Fri Jul 25, 2003 1:06 pm

Just failed my NCT because they say i only have two rear seat belts and should have 3 ???? Also need 2 new drop links for the front. Jap Autospares in Ashbourne quoted EUR80 each, Camskill do them for STG 65 for the pair!!!!

Has anyone else encountered the seat belt issue ?

Dave
95 D GR
quinda
1st gear
1st gear

Postby keville » Fri Jul 25, 2003 1:45 pm

Hey Dave,
Don't know what happened there, at a guess I would say they got it wrong, As you know the fto only came with two rear belts and technically there are only two seats in the back.
I but my GR through about two months ago and it had no problem only one advisory and that was for having no town name on the rear plate,I'd ring up about your problem as I reckon their at fault.......
keville
Octane king
Octane king

Re: NCT - rear seatbelts

Postby soc » Fri Jul 25, 2003 2:56 pm

quinda wrote:Just failed my NCT because they say i only have two rear seat belts and should have 3 ???? Also need 2 new drop links for the front. Jap Autospares in Ashbourne quoted EUR80 each, Camskill do them for STG 65 for the pair!!!!

Has anyone else encountered the seat belt issue ?

Dave
95 D GR

Hey Dave,

I've seen this before - the GR that I bought had an extra seat belt added as it failed the NCT for only having 2 seat belts. The guy I bought off said he tried to explain to them till he was blue in the face but they just wouldn't listen. Anyway I reckon that this has to be a mistake as the FTO is a 2+2 coupe so was never meant for 3 in the back. Also there is only 2 places to sit in the back. You probably need to get in contact with someone higher up the food chain in terms of the NCT - email them at info@ncts.ie to get the contact details for someone you can talk to about the issue... to be honest most of the guys working the NCT don't have a clue!

As for the drop links.... yea we've all experienced Camskills low, low prices compared to other outlets! For all serviceable parts Camskill shoul d be your first stop!.

Good luck with the seatbelt thing.

Cheers
Shane
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby GarLaf » Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:47 am

A vehicle registration cert is all thats needed for the issue of rear seats. No need for third seat belt. The cert officially states the number of seats in the car. show this form at the nct and they will have to accept it.
GarLaf
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby CJ » Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:41 am

Daz metioned on Saturday that if you a car has been registered as a hatchback (!), you'll need to have 3 seatbelts in the rear, apparently this is commonplace to avail of a lower insurance premium but I can't see how this would affect it all that much.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

seat belts

Postby GarLaf » Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:08 pm

all that matters is the number of seats on the cert. if it has five on the cert you will have too put a third seat belt in. our good friends in mitsubishi told the nct people that they only sell 5 seater cars in ireland this also causes confusion.
GarLaf
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

I failed for my belts, but then passed.

Postby MarkCarragher » Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:56 pm

I failed for the belts in the rear as well, was told I needed 3, explained and showed the registration certificate and still no luck. They siad unless I get a 3rd fitted I am not gonna pass.

So I then booked my car in again for a full NCT in another centre (Monaghan) and it passed with no problems, no mention of a 3rd seat belt at all???

Go figure, there a law onto themselves the NCT centre.

Try another centre, only problem is it has to be a complete retest.
Different centre find different problems so there is no damn standard that they follow.

Mark
Goodbye my Fabulous Totally Outragous car
MarkCarragher
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby Speedyboy » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:00 pm

Mine is on the registration cert as, sports coupe non convertible or something similar? Are the ones having a problem with seatbelts on the registration book as hatchbacks??

R
Wavin - Unrivalled European supplier of plastic pipe systems
Speedyboy
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby CJ » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:39 pm

Speedyboy wrote:Mine is on the registration cert as, sports coupe non convertible

Same here and no problems with seatbelts. Those of you having issues, what is your car registered as?

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kace » Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:18 pm

Here's what I have.....

Revenue Vehicle Registration Certificate
Body Type : 'Sports/Coupe Non Conv/Hardtop
Number of Windows : 5 (How can a car have 5 windows?)
Number of Seats : 3 (How can a car have 3 seats ?)

Dublin Corporation Vehicle Licensing Cert
Body Type : Hatchback/Culhaiste

a) Does anyone know whether I need to bring both of these docs ?

b) If I have 3 seats does this mean I need an extra one in the back ?
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Speedyboy » Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:47 pm

I always just brought the vehicle registration cert before? try a different centre if you can with just that..

R
Wavin - Unrivalled European supplier of plastic pipe systems
Speedyboy

Postby Daz » Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:48 am

[quote="Kace"]
Dublin Corporation Vehicle Licensing Cert
Body Type : Hatchback/Culhaiste
quote]

This is what i was talking about before, it says hatchback as body type so they will look for 5 seats and yes we only have four, but sometimes they are brought in like this for cheeper insurance just like the starlet turbos are only 1.3/1.4 This is where the mix up occurs

Daz...
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Return to NCT \ MOT