Spark plugs

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Spark plugs

Postby emuswa » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:50 pm

I have been looking in to replacing the spark plugs on my 95 GPX but can't seam to find where the "back set" are. Does anyone have a diagram to show where they are or how to get to them?
I also tried to remove one of the front ones to inspect them but non of my typical tools fit do I need a special one?
Finally is there any recommendations on the type of plugs and coil packs. Any help is appreciated! :D
emuswa
1st gear
1st gear

Re: Spark plugs

Postby Bernard » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:06 am

Viamoto are good for parts.
If it's something you want to tackle yourself you can download the workshop manuals and have a look through the knowledgebase section, there are some good guides there.
I used Denso iridium plugs on mine, they come recommended by a lot of owners due to their long life.... The rear plugs are a pig to change by all accounts (not that I've attempted it myself).
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby emuswa » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:33 am

Ive heard that. I'm figuring it's like some nissans I've helped do. Thank you though. I have been using http://www.eurocarparts.com do you know anything about them. I'm kinda new to the uk and still trying to learn all the good places!
emuswa
1st gear
1st gear

Postby goz_83 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:33 am

To get at the rear spark plugs, the plenum needs to come off. A dedicated spark plug removal tool will be needed, because most socket sets will be too chunky. I had to physically beat a socket into the channels before, because my plug remover was broken.

Use viamoto for your parts. Good luck and good patience.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby emuswa » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:15 am

See that's the odd thing. I have long skinny sockets that fit in the hole and a long enough extender but I tried all the sockets and I couldn't get it to get on to the spark plug. The only thing I thought it could be is they were quite long enough because the plugs look quite long.
emuswa
1st gear
1st gear

Postby Bernard » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:57 pm

As far as I know the FTO comes with a spark plug removal tool in the toolkit, if yours is missing you could have a look on eBay or borrow one from a local owner.
Try adding your location to your profile, it helps with this kind of thing.

Edit

http://www.viamoto.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=Spark+Plug+Socket+-+Mitsubishi+FTO+V6+DE3A
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby emuswa » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:51 pm

Yeah mine didn't come with that; not even a spare tire! Is there a way to buy the whole set?
emuswa
1st gear
1st gear

Return to FTO Technical