timing belt

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

timing belt

Postby m1chael » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:37 pm

hi all just wanted some quick advice my water pump is leaking badly so i need to change it ive priced a pump and t belt kit and its 300 euro but one of the idlers is 150 on its own can i get away without changing it?. and do u know where i can get a picture of where all my tbelt marks are and where they line up
m1chael
1st gear
1st gear

Re: timing belt

Postby MY-JAP-MISTRESS » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:50 pm

no you dont need to do all at the same time but to save money on doing it all again and that part at 150 is the hydrolic tensioner and that is the main important bit that keeps the correct tension on the belt. same thing happened me the other month so the whole loyt was done then.
MY-JAP-MISTRESS
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby goz_83 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:15 pm

The kit shouldn't cost you that much. I got my belt kit from cam skill and my water pump from ebay. Think its was circa €200 for the lot. search "price of perfection" and i will have my bits and bobs listed and priced on that thread. The full kit has cam belt, and auxiliary belts too. You might need to get an extra tensioner, which doesn't come in the kit. I needed one when I got mine done a couple of weeks ago.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby mcgon1979 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:24 pm

Kit cost me 300euro alright back in April. I had done the timing belt about 40,000miles ago and skipped the tensioner that time. But this time I decided to change it and the waterpump to avoid any hassle in the future. I had asked an "expert" what he thought, and the reply was "As for should you change the Hydraulic tensioner that depends on how much you value your car ? as you says it's now done over 160k kms without it being changed"
It's a fair point... I had done 160km without changing it, so... I think it was worth the extra
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Return to FTO Technical