New to FTO Ireland, I present my FTO...

Say hello to other forum members

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with the forum rules before posting!

New to FTO Ireland, I present my FTO...

Postby FTEvolution » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:45 pm

Just signed up here and I figure I will make this thread the official thread on my car so I can keep all of the Bullshit in one place...

It is easier to cut/paste between the different sites too.

Just purchased (2 weeks ago) a set of D2 Coilovers, much lower now, mucho traction too...win/win situation :lol:

Check out MSport for a wealth of Mitsubishi related information.

Here's a pic of my car from Autosalon '06 here in Christchurch (NZ)

Newer pics coming soon...

1995 Mitsubishi FTO

Excuse the front wheels, a necessary evil to save some money on my tyres :suprised:

Mitsubishi 6A13TT transplant with modified FTO INVECS II Tiptronic gearbox

Latest Modification

Installation of GFB Boost Controller, set to ~13 psi.

Modifications (Engine):

Big front mount intercooler by Race Radiators.

Gearbox has been modified with better internals and a strengthened Dif head, don't know the specifics.

Modified engine mounts so the engine/gearbox sits lower in engine bay.

GFB (?) BOV.

Simota Air Filter.

GFB Boost Controller.

Modifications (Cosmetic):

Enkei RP03 18" Alloy Wheels with 215/35/18 Nankang NS II tyres (could also be classed functional, depends on my mood).

Modifications (Functional):

Modified centre console, ash tray deleted to house Boost and Oil Pressure guages.

Modifications (ICE):

Kenwood KD360/KX360 double DIN head unit (with the car when imported)

Pioneer Kevlar cone 6 1/2" front coaxials

Kenwood 6x9's (Rear)

crap Amp/Sub combo

Planned modifications:

Replacement of restrictive factory intake piping, the front turbo intake makes a couple of almost 90 degree turns and crimps down to less than an inch of width in both of those places and when it twists around the transmission filter.

Remote mounting of both the Oil filter and Transmission filter.

Installation of a big transmission cooler.

Replacement/relocation of Intercooler piping and remounting of BOV to a better location.

Installation of 3" mandrell bent exhaust system from Y-pipe back.

Installation of a set of Tein coil over shocks.

Relocation of Air Filter and AFM closer to headlight and heatshield/box made up to suit.

Installation of an intercooler watersprayer.

Carbon Fibre bonnet replacement with one similar to this:

Issues to be ironed out:

Small oil leak from front turbo, think it is from the oil return line, pending investigation.

Loud whistling noise when on full boost in 2nd or 3rd gear. Not usually in 1st long enough to notice. Confirmed to be because of standard FTO exhaust.

Oil pressure guage appears to be faulty, when ignition is on, the needle shoots above 100 (see the above picture) and there is no movement when the engine is running. May be faulty sender, or maybe my wiring is not right (doubt the last one, it is pretty simple).

Free Plugs, check these guys out if you need work done and are in CHCH:

Flexi Weld, corner St Asaph and Barbadoes Streets CHCH, (centre console), also modify/repair bodykits, seems a lot of panelbeaters contract out to these guys, may be helpful to check with them first.

Race Radiators, (FMIC).

Big thanks to Dylan Price for an exceptional job done transplanting this engine.
1995 FTO GR
6a13TT (ex VR4) Transplanted baby :D
FTEvolution

Postby CJ » Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:23 pm

Welcome fella and kudos to you for going the VR-4 transplant route, looks like a really good job :smt023 . Get that FTO exhaust out of there now! - you should a healthy increase in power with a decent aftermarket unit thats designed for the VR-4. What sort of power is being put thru the front wheels, do you need to use launch control? I'd be interested in hearing what was done to the gearbox to stenghten it up. The torque convertor in the 4-sp Tip is known to be weak (cause of most failures) so I assuming it was replaced with an uprated one.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:54 pm

Nice job on the engine install - did you have any special mods to do in the engine bay? (engine mountings/fitment issues etc).
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby FTEvolution » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:08 pm

Mods to fit, well, Engine mounts were planed to sit engine lower in bay (still too high) and the rear manifold was also planed, on I am guessing a ~15 degree angle (probably less) so that the firewall didn't have to be modified.

Exhaust is next...

I am estimating 300 hp (engine) at the moment (with the bolt ons and 13 psi), am expecting a huge increase when the exhaust is changed. Also planning on a 3.5" pipe straight through for racing purposes.

Practically no lag whatsoever (by the time the stall converter gets me moving I am boosting) but I am still contemplating a big single.

Also now have an Apexi SAFC (just a 5 dial old school one) to install for some slight adjustment, awaiting installation.

Gearbox, has had the diff head replaced (another source of common failure) and I believe the torque converter has been replaced, I have no idea of specs though.

Looking at purchasing an FTO gearbox that was built for a Mirage rally car with FTO engine, including LSD and other goodness...

Lots of plans, running out of money...

I will keep you guys updated :)

BTW, the 300 hp estimate could be way off, not sure, but it has a crap load of torque from about 2.5k revs to very near redlince...and that is what really interests me.
1995 FTO GR
FTEvolution

Postby miss-enzo » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:32 pm

omg im in love!!!!! SAVAGE car love the intercooler tinkin if i do any mods to my baby ill be gettin me a nice big intercooler!!! :D
My FTO is for sale viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12725
miss-enzo
My other car's an FTO...as well
My other car's an FTO...as well

Postby CJ » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:51 am

gfalls wrote:Are we looking at two different cars here? look closely at the pics for the engine bays. Things are changing colour and the fuse box cover is not the same. Also, why hide the number plates when you can see them in the first picture. PARANOID ME.....!!!!!!

Paranoid is right! The engine cover and fuse box have obviously been painted in between, looks like the same bay to me otherwise.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CJ » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:07 am

gfalls wrote:So, in the last picture he's taken the black paint off and then scratched the alloy underneath? And why change the oil cap back to a standard one? Nice silver hose thingy in pic one, black and dirty in last pic? Me thinks trickery is afoot... more investigation. To the BatMobile Robin...!

I would guess that the last pic is actually an earlier one, the pics represent different stages of cosmetic engine bay work is all, lets let the man himself confirm or deny!

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:32 pm

gfalls wrote:Are we looking at two different cars here? look closely at the pics for the engine bays. Things are changing colour and the fuse box cover is not the same. Also, why hide the number plates when you can see them in the first picture. PARANOID ME.....!!!!!!

Heres a couple of pictures of my car - would you say they're the same car or different? :lol:

Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:39 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:Heres a couple of pictures of my car - would you say they're the same car or different? :lol:

:smt003
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JayVersion"R" » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:16 pm

Ah my old baby all pretty in blue.... :lol:
JayVersion"R"
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:43 pm

JayVersion"R" wrote:Ah my old baby all pretty in blue.... :lol:

Don't think Audrey will like being referred to as the "old baby in blue" ! :lol:
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby JayVersion"R" » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:15 am

:twisted:
JayVersion"R"
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Bernard » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:19 pm

gfalls wrote: PARANOID ME.....!!!!!!

Have you tried wearing a tinfoil hat, I hear it keeps the 'rays' out? :lol:
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bernard » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:39 pm

gfalls wrote:
Bernard wrote:
gfalls wrote: PARANOID ME.....!!!!!!

Have you tried wearing a tinfoil hat, I hear it keeps the 'rays' out? :lol:

Who told you about my hat???!!!???!?!?!

Noone told me, don't worry.
I just recognise the symptoms... :wink:
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby FTEvolution » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:17 pm

gfalls wrote:

So, in the last picture he's taken the black paint off and then scratched the alloy underneath? And why change the oil cap back to a standard one? Nice silver hose thingy in pic one, black and dirty in last pic? <Perhaps I need to timestamp all future photographs I take, just for you, since you are the only one who can't figure it out>
Me thinks trickery is afoot... more investigation. To the BatMobile Robin...!

Sh1t, you guys are a skeptical bunch, it sucks having to prove myself to people that don't know me. Guess it is easier to shoot someone down when something they have is better than yours :r

Right, let's get started...

The first picture is from Autosalon Christchurch, which I entered about three weeks ago. I did a heap of under bonnet work, including painting, OMG, I painted it, damn, I must be BSing about it. And f@ck you very much, but I am very happy with my trophy; "12. Best Innovation Conversion – Nathan’s FTO" (look it up, it's on there under "CATEGORY A: DISTINCTIVE AWARDS").

THE FIRST PIC WAS THERE AS A PLACEHOLDER UNTIL I COULD BE BOTHERED UPDATING MY POST...

As for hiding my number plates, the site is a local site, as such I didn't want any untoward attention from the local criminal element here, the top pic was not hosted on my photobucket account as I only took video at the show, otherwise I would have edited out the number plate.

Do I really need to post an original pic of my car (the one with the different front wheels on) with my plates showing?

The site that I linked? What are you talking about? This post is practically mirrored there (my name there is INeedNOS).

Here, I'll make it easy for you, here is my last post there, with a part in my sig just for you...

You appear to be very observant, perhaps you have already noticed the intercooler is identical in both pictures, and perhaps you also noticed the butchered front bar in both pics. Hmm...interesting. But nah, it HAS to be a different car.

Anyways, here are 3 more pics for you all, it's night time so you may have to get out your spectacles to notice the wheels/driveway/garage are the same. Oh crap, maybe I stole those pics too, but wait, the number plate is the same. The conspiracy deepens.

Huh? WTF? BUA891??? It's the same...OMG!!!

Anything else you need?

Perhaps this, if you right click an image above and select "Copy image location" or similar, you will notice it says i39.photobucket.com/albums/e183/nathanforsyth/SA400899.jpg, could the bold part possibly be the same as on the Autosalon site? Nah, maybe I just have the same first name. Until you click more of the pictures and see they came from the same place...HMMM...

Hell, I guess there is always someone on every forum that likes to stir up any flame war they can, this will be my only bite.

For everyone else that got caught up in this I apologise, I do not normally react like this, but then again, most civilised forum goers normally criticise in PM's.

Unimpressed, I wont be posting here again...
1995 FTO GR
FTEvolution

Postby CJ » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:37 pm

FTEvolution wrote:Unimpressed, I wont be posting here again...

Thats your prerogative Nathan, its an open forum. While I'm not defending gfalls, I do think his response was tongue-in-cheek and it was meant to be taken with a pinch of salt, he's a bit of a joker you see!

Good publicity for this site is something that I welcome, bad publicity in the form of derogatory sigs on other forums is something that I don't. At least consider putting in a link to the site goddammit! (note, thats a tongue-in-cheek comment in case I've offended you :roll: )

Personally, I (and plenty of others) would like to hear more about the development of your FTO - its a unique machine. Chill out, relax and don't take us too seriously - we're only having a bit of craic :)

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby raven » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:43 am

Is vr4 a evo engine ?
raven

Postby Muad_dib77 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:23 am

Jaysus Nathan - don't have a cow man!

I'm sure your leg was just being pulled slightly.. you have to realise that humor up here might vary slightly from humor just east of downunder..

Nice ride btw...
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Return to Introduce yourself