Squeeky Alt belt

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Squeeky Alt belt

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:07 am

I have a squeeky Alt belt these damp mornings - on closer inspection the belt was a little loose - however when I went to tighten it I found that the nut on the tensioner wheel had been rounded - is there any way to get at this nut aside from having to move the alternator :?:
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Squeeky Alt belt

Postby CJ » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:24 am

Myfeckin FTO wrote:is there any way to get at this nut aside from having to move the alternator :?:

One possible way it is to jack up the car, remove the wheel on the drivers side and access it with via the wheel arch.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustang » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:39 am

MfFTO wrote
I found that the nut on the tensioner wheel had been rounded -

Doh! Not surprised though. My alt belt, was/is slipping at times. When I went to tighten it I could not get the socket and and drive to fit in to the gap between the tensioner and the inner panel of the engine bay. This with a small 1/4" drive :!: When I tried a closed spanner it was too 'thick' and would not sit properly around the nut, and would have rounded the nut had I continued. Result: I abandoned the job :wink: Think i'll need to get an extra flat 1/4" drive to do the job.

CJ wrote
One possible way it is to jack up the car, remove the wheel on the drivers side and access it with via the wheel arch.

CJ you sure about that? Without looking under the bonnet I can't be sure, but I can't see any access advantage by approaching it through the wheel arch. Come to think of it I'm not sure you could access it through the wheel arch :? :?:

Let us know how you get on MfFTO

Mustang
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Squeeky Alt belt

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:45 am

CJ wrote:
Myfeckin FTO wrote:is there any way to get at this nut aside from having to move the alternator :?:

CJ

Hmmm! Sounds like a plan except my wheelarch has been riveted to the panels - I didn't like the look of those poxy plastic yokes that had been holding the wheel arch liner in place. :oops:
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:54 am

Mustang wrote:CJ you sure about that? Without looking under the bonnet I can't be sure, but I can't see any access advantage by approaching it through the wheel arch. Come to think of it I'm not sure you could access it through the wheel arch :? :?:

Well I saw my mechanic do it once so I'm pretty sure its possible!

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to FTO Technical