Wanted 97-98 GR/GPX

Use this forum to buy or sell your FTO or FTO parts (Private adverts only)

Moderator: Moderators

Wanted 97-98 GR/GPX

Postby Dave » Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:14 pm

Ok Folks,
if anyone knows of a 97-98 GR/GPX tip for sale let me know.
preferably red/black........ and not mad money :wink:
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Wanted 97-98 GR/GPX

Postby soc » Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:44 pm

Dave wrote:Ok Folks,
if anyone knows of a 97-98 GR/GPX tip for sale let me know.
preferably red/black........ and not mad money :wink:

you changing cars now?
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:45 pm

no no, not me! my mother! she sold her GS and is looking to upgrade! must run in the family! :wink:
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:50 pm

Dave wrote:no no, not me! my mother! she sold her GS and is looking to upgrade! must run in the family! :wink:

Aw man how cool is your mother 8)
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:54 pm

yeah pretty cool alright, she was offered a CLK 230 last night, turned it down! upgrading the FTO is the only way to go.
going to have a look at a 97 GR tomorrow.
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:11 pm

That's quite a fleet you've got going there :wink: ... 2 FTO's, a honda prelude, anything else special :?: Think I'd be very cautious security wise with a collection of cars like that parked outside the house! Sounds like a joyriders paradise :!:
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:04 pm

no nothing special, E270 CDI Merc, going to install two metal bars that go into the ground so that they could get the cars out if they even did get into them.
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:15 pm

Why Tip box pray-tell?

Have you seen the white 97 GPvR that "Mivec" has for sale? 10.5K
He may also have the low mileage 97 Red GPX that was for sale.

MfFTO
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:16 pm

she prefers the tip, don't know why personally! but each to their own. looking at a 97 GR tip tomorrow for 8K
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:18 pm

Dave wrote:she prefers the tip, don't know why personally! but each to their own. looking at a 97 GR tip tomorrow for 8K

Dave is yours a Tip?
Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:22 pm

nope, manual :wink:
i wouldn't personally buy a tip. but if it was yes i would be thinking what you're thinking!! :D
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:47 pm

had a look at a "97" one there this evening, the reason i say "97" is that on the seat belt it shows the year of manufacture 1995/5, so i doubt it was sitting on the production line or a show room for 2 years, and it had a bad smack at the rear, the spare wheel well was actually rippled!! not a good sign so i reckon we;ll be walking away from this one.
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:23 pm

Dave wrote:i wouldn't personally buy a tip. but if it was yes i would be thinking what you're thinking!! :D

I've no intention of starting a tip vs. manual debate but I feel I need to stand up for the aul tip box. If, like me, you're stuck in Dublin traffic most of time, the tip is a great, I've a bit of dodgy back that affects me clutch leg from time to time so driving a manual can be quite painful, especially in stop start 1st/2nd gear traffic. Of course theres issues in terms of potential failure and power loss but I'm happy to live with these 'issues' at this stage. When choosing my next car, I'd be 70/30 inclined towards an auto, unfortunately, the FTOs 4-speed tip is a bone of contention but the likes of an auto box in the Supra, 300ZX or even a 5-speed tip in the FTO is a different story completely.

As you say Dave, each to their own, mines a tip ;)

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:01 pm

CJ wrote:
Dave wrote:i wouldn't personally buy a tip. but if it was yes i would be thinking what you're thinking!! :D

I've no intention of starting a tip vs. manual debate but I feel I need to stand up for the aul tip box. If, like me, you're stuck in Dublin traffic most of time, the tip is a great,

I second CJ on this one - since getting the golf I've really missed the Tip box when driving in traffic. The other think I really miss is the ease at which you can change gears in the Tip box - absolutely great for hard driving if you want to change down at the last minute - I find myself having to start thinking about changing gears way earlier with the manual. But that said always hated the way the tip sapped initial power delivery - maybe a more powerful car or a 5 spd Tip box would be better........

wonder what Caroline makes of the Tip box in the skyline...

Dare I say it ...... DSG is the way to go :-)
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:03 pm

CJ wrote:

I've no intention of starting a tip vs. manual debate but I feel I need to stand up for the aul tip box. If, like me, you're stuck in Dublin traffic most of time, the tip is a great, I've a bit of dodgy back that affects me clutch leg from time to time so driving a manual can be quite painful, especially in stop start 1st/2nd gear traffic. Of course theres issues in terms of potential failure and power loss but I'm happy to live with these 'issues' at this stage. When choosing my next car, I'd be 70/30 inclined towards an auto, unfortunately, the FTOs 4-speed tip is a bone of contention but the likes of an auto box in the Supra, 300ZX or even a 5-speed tip in the FTO is a different story completely.

As you say Dave, each to their own, mines a tip ;)

CJ

I owned a Tip GR previously for close on 2years and really enjoyed the car - I had no Tip box issues - and it was great for town driving. And its not like the manual box on the FTO is any great shakes - I have had cars with far better gearchanges and ratios.

Still prefer the manual box in my present GPX though - its nice to have the initial shove that is lacking with a Tip and acceleration is def better.
We are all concerned with getting mods and extracting the best from the FTO - and the manual box is probably the single biggest performance factor or gain that can be had on the FTO so it will always be an issue. If absolute performance is your aim - you need a manual - if its more about comfort and gadgets then go Tip.

Having said all that if I was starting from scratch looking for an FTO - I would allways put car condition - mileage - spec before the actual gearbox. I'd sooner have a low mileage clean Tip GPX than a high mile hard driven manual GPX.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby steelroe » Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:24 am

Having driven Shane's GS (TIP) over the last number of weeks before I sold it on, I have to say I enjoyed it. I still remain a Manual man but if I was living and driving in a city every day I would definetely go for the TIP.
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mitsimark » Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:37 pm

Have u any idea what your looking to pay for this red (tip) FTO. Ive got one here 50K on the clock, Red, GX Venon Wheels, Clean. Ive had a car for the last 3 years from Import and debating something different..
Its living in Swansea UK

E-mail - Mitsimark@hotmail.com
Let me know
Mitsimark

Postby soc » Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:31 pm

steelroe wrote:Having driven Shane's GS (TIP)

Wouldn't that be GR ;-)
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby steelroe » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:03 pm

OOP's sorry about that slip of the keyboard
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:36 am

steelroe wrote:OOP's sorry about that slip of the keyboard

hehe - nothing against GS's btw (for anyone currently running one :) )

did you get the band expander - couldn't find the steering wheel at my house but I think it could be at my parents (don't ask). I'll be out there this weekend (I hope) so I'll have a look then - sorry I didn't mail you sooner.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:25 pm

picked up a 97 GPX tip, pre-facelift, just off the boat, getting VRT'd, full service new tyres alarm and new cd system!
9000!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:43 pm

Dave wrote:picked up a 97 GPX tip, pre-facelift, just off the boat, getting VRT'd, full service new tyres alarm and new cd system!
9000!

Nice one. Private purchase or trade?

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:15 am

trade from highgrade imports on the doc! but the auld man is good mates with the guy that owns it! silver and pretty standard through out but a good clean straight car.

might just get the chassis number, where do i go about throwing it through the caps program to get any info on the car?
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:57 am

Dave wrote:might just get the chassis number, where do i go about throwing it through the caps program to get any info on the car?

Input DE3A into the first part of the chassis no field and the number into the second part, hit enter and it will show you classification, exterior colour and date of manufacture on the RHS.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:58 am

have you got a link to it?
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Next

Return to For Sale