Swapping out dial cluster

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Swapping out dial cluster

Postby gt94 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:36 am

I know this has been asked before,but I couldn't find it searching for a day. If you change the dial cluster with another does the mileage/kilometres change or is it set by the ecu. Why I'm asking is I'm looking for a set of standard manual dials as mine are sticking. I can't read revs or speed I know it's on 2000 revs but sticking on 1000. And the speed jumps from 40 to 100 klms after ages of driving in 3rd. I know it's not the stepper or tps as its been happing since I bought the car(I have great patience) and the stepper is new.
gt94
Nothing comes between me and my FTO

Re: Swapping out dial cluster

Postby brccrx » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:19 am

Yes the mileage is stored in the clocks and it looks like there problem with it. Trial fit other ones and see will this help.

Maybe its Your wheel speed sensor acting up to? Try to diagnose it for trouble codes stored in the ECU, sometimes there no engine light lit on the dash but code might be there for U :)

this should work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_kAkT3onw8
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby goz_83 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:33 am

I had this issue with an fto and it was after I put in after market dials, but it's possible it could happen anyway if a previous owner remove the clocks and messed with them for whatever reason, perhaps even to remove after market dials.

Try this before you buy a new set:

Remove the clear plastic window and give the centre of the dials a bit of a pull toward you, not too hard. Before putting the screen back in place, turn on the engine and see if the dials are working properly. This worked for me, I think on my brothers red GX. If that doesn't work, try the ecu code. if that doesn't work, maybe a replacement is the easiest, but there are places that could repair the unit if it is broken. Where are you based?

Maybe someone with a manual fto can do a quick swap of clocks to check? I would offer mine, but it's a female dog with the after market glow dials and all that. I still will if you cant find anyone else to help.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Sebastian » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:32 pm

The milage will read what the new cluster has .
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby gt94 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:17 pm

Thanks for the offer goz, but I'm in Tipperary lol. Is there anyway of disassembling the odometer and swapping it over to a donar set? Or does anyone know someone with a manual set lying about. On another note I'm looking for a rear wheel bearing for the Gpvr. Tried camskil 3 wks wait and main dealers a joke looking for E455 + cat and tax. Is there anymore websites I could check. I bought a new set of rear shocks and droplinks now the bearing is shot so I'm not fitting them until its sorted.
gt94

Postby goz_83 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:57 pm

Ottostreet wouldn't be far from you. He has 2 manual GPX' and also has a gpx breaking I think for the parts you might need. Might be worth a try.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to FTO Technical