Weight reduction

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Weight reduction

Postby Superwofy » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:54 pm

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some ideas on reducing the weight of the car. Increasing engine power without forced induction is hopeless at best (already have exhaust anyway) and so I've turned my attention to freeing some weight. I've already removed and weighed everything in the boot (16.5kg - I'm pretty happy about that).

Not really looking for a track inspired interior strip :D . I was considering replacing the large battery currently installed (for maybe a 45Ah one that weighs ~10kg) and maybe a lightweight hood (if I can find one).

Thanks.
Superwofy
Speed freak
Speed freak

Re: Weight reduction

Postby Sebastian » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:17 pm

Some ideas without stripping out the interior :
aircon assembly ~ 30 kg
lightweight alloys
slimmer battery
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby ebrewer89 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:32 pm

Not running a full windscreen washer tank will save a couple kgs.aircon system is a great loss!! Who needs aircon,open your windows :lol: stainless manifolds and downpipe+decat will save a few kgs aswell and improve oompf.lightweight nuts will save a suprising amount.solid buckets with no runners vs standard seats.rear seatbelts clips etc.rear seats weigh nothing.yellow stuff pads I would recomend as a great investment As you can drive much faster :ll
ebrewer89
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby goz_83 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:36 pm

The only change I would make would be a light weight bonnet. Anything else is compromising comfort and imo, a good car.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Superwofy » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:53 am

Sebastian wrote:Some ideas without stripping out the interior :
aircon assembly ~ 30 kg
lightweight alloys
slimmer battery

Thanks. Had no Idea the aircon system weighed that much. Not too sure about removing it yet.

ebrewer89 wrote:Not running a full windscreen washer tank will save a couple kgs.aircon system is a great loss!! Who needs aircon,open your windows :lol: stainless manifolds and downpipe+decat will save a few kgs aswell and improve oompf.lightweight nuts will save a suprising amount.solid buckets with no runners vs standard seats.rear seatbelts clips etc.rear seats weigh nothing.yellow stuff pads I would recomend as a great investment As you can drive much faster :ll

Mmmm, manifolds. I saw a nice set on ebay. Am I allowed to post a link to get an opinion? As for the nuts, and I do apologize for being lazy, what size am I looking for?

goz_83 wrote:The only change I would make would be a light weight bonnet. Anything else is compromising comfort and imo, a good car.

Can you recommend a place where I can get one? I also saw boot lids. What do you think about those?
Superwofy
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby ebrewer89 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:52 pm

My manifolds and downpipe were an ebay job and are great.definate improvement all through the rev range.rear is a little awkward to fit but not a biggie.and they are shiney lol :lol: magpie moment.nuts are m12x1.5.don't go for cheapies as they will just thread themselves.
ebrewer89
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby goz_83 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:44 am

Superwofy wrote:
goz_83 wrote:The only change I would make would be a light weight bonnet. Anything else is compromising comfort and imo, a good car.

Can you recommend a place where I can get one? I also saw boot lids. What do you think about those?

It pays to do a bit of research. They are not cheap to buy, but if you keep an eye out, you may see something used on ebay. Here is a UK store you might like http://www.epracing.co.uk/Carbon-Access ... 5-116-117/

The carbon, or fibreglass bootlids are something I am not sure I would trust. Having been rear ended twice while driving an fto, I would want something solid to help with any mauling from those with lower observational awareness. It would kill a lot of weight though, if you value your health less than the weight of your car. I wouldn't do it unless I knew the rear end was just as good, or better than oem equipment. Anything you put into the car, you will not get back in a sale. Kee this in mind. I spent over 10k on mine in upgrades and repairs in 2 years. The insurance and subsequent sale of my fto didn't come close to that figure.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to FTO Technical