Hydraulic press - bush fitting

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Hydraulic press - bush fitting

Postby CJ » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:24 am

Does anyone know of any workshops in Dublin that have a hydraulic press? I need to get a set of camber and trailing arm bushes fitted, they need to be pressed in.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CJ » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:38 am

After ringing around a load of places with no joy I decided to give Paul Nolan a call, guess what, he has one :roll: I was hoping someone closer to home might have a press, I always seem to end up getting lost heading over to Paul (admittedly, my sense of direction is brutal :wink: )

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:52 am

CJ wrote:After ringing around a load of places with no joy I decided to give Paul Nolan a call, guess what, he has one :roll: I was hoping someone closer to home might have a press, I always seem to end up getting lost heading over to Paul (admittedly, my sense of direction is brutal :wink: )

CJ

Jeeesh - I had to drive from Clare to Dublin and then try find Paul Nolan - and here you are moaning about having to go a few miles in Dublin. Try living outside the Pale and trying to find anybody that knows anything about an FTO - most mechanics I know wouldn't touch an FTO with a bargepole cause they know so little about it - fine for small services - but try asking them to change the rear set of plugs or do a timing belt change!
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:03 am

Myfeckin FTO wrote:Jeeesh - I had to drive from Clare to Dublin and then try find Paul Nolan - and here you are moaning about having to go a few miles in Dublin. Try living outside the Pale

The benefits of living in the Pale means you generally don't have to go too far to get something done. I've always admired culchies advanced directional abilities, if you want to get anywhere in Dublin, ask a culchie (as long you're not straying too far from Croker that is ;))

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:40 am

CJ wrote:I've always admired culchies advanced directional abilities, if you want to get anywhere in Dublin, ask a culchie (as long you're not straying too far from Croker that is ;))

CJ

Thats funny - If you (& I mean you CJ) want to ask for directions down here in the "WESST" - don't ask a "culchie" - they'll be wondering why some swanky DUB in a sports car wants to go anywhere outside the pale - and you'll need to be prepared for the inevitable questions before getting the inevitable misleading directions.
1) Who are you now?
2) You want to go where?
3) Who are you looking for (Don't say its none of their business)
4) Are you around for awhile?(what business do you have here?)
5) Thats a grand car you have (what do you do for a living - Drugs?)

Hope the above helps for your next trip outside the pale.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:51 am

Myfeckin FTO wrote:Hope the above helps for your next trip outside the pale.

Thanks for the pointer MFFTO, I'll keep them in mind the next time I stray from the comfortable environs of the big shmoke :)

Afternote: Look at the can of worms you've opened MFFTO, I wondered how long it would take for the Dubs\Culchies debate to kick off on the forums!

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustang » Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:16 am

CJ,
Did you get around to fitting these bushes? I replaced the rear lower arm inner and outer bushes at the weekend. Just wondering how you got on costs, etc.

Mustang
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:22 am

Mustang wrote:Did you get around to fitting these bushes? I replaced the rear lower arm inner and outer bushes at the weekend. Just wondering how you got on costs, etc.

I'll be leaving the car with Paul on Thursday. Out of curiosity, why did you replace the bushes, any noticable improvement?

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustang » Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:42 am

I was doing an 'overhaul' of the suspension, those bushes are cheap enough and I decided that I only wanted to pull the rear suspension apart once (In a lifetime hopefully)! I'm not sure If those particular bushes made a big difference.
But I also replaced the rear control links, and front and rear ARB bushes and droplinks.
I was getting a clunking noise front and rear, Steelroe had suggested that probably the links were shot. When I took the rear suspension apart first, it seemed that he was correct -the rear control links seemed worn.
After all that the clunking from the rear is gone, And I think the front clunking is gone (spent most of the weekend under the car, so I haven't really had a chance to drive it and fully investigate...
That said the car is completely transformed :shock: from a stability/ poise perspective. This is of course due to the the work on the ARB's. It now feels solid and pointy very tight, where before it was very twitchy.

Mustang
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to FTO Technical