Help - Intermittent starting problems

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Help - Intermittent starting problems

Postby paulkenny » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:48 am

Hi All,

My FTO is experiencing some intermittent starting problems and I am hoping some of ye might be able to help me. I have searched the forums for people with similar problems and tried a few things already but no luck :-(

About a month ago it first happened when my girlfriend was driving ..she didn't really know what was wrong and got a push start and it started.
It next happened about a day later when I was driving. The car was turning over but would not catch. It was late at night so I left it till the next morning to look at it and then is started fine.

The car did not give any more trouble until about a week ago except this time the engine was catching at first but spluttering for about 5 seconds then cutting out. After a couple of attempts at starting it behaved the same as before whereby it was turning over but not catching. I got someone to help me push the car around the corner to a quieter street than the one where I was parked and tried it again and it started.

The same behavior happened twice since. On all occasions the car would not start after being turned off ..sometimes for a matter of minutes ..other times after hours. When the car is running it runs fine no hunting around when idling or anything like that.

I have checked the diagnostic codes from the ECU and none are indicated. (However the ABS light is flashing out codes 13 & 24 whatever that means). I also cleaned the stepper motor just in case that was the culprit but no luck. One thing I did notice is that there was some slight oil residue in the air intake ..some in the rubber intake pipe from the air box and some more on the part it connects to ..it was only v slight but seemed a bit strange to me. (BTW I am using an ITG panel filter which comes with some sort of oil in it to catch dust so perhaps this is where it comes from???)

Any ideas are much appreciated, I'd like to troubleshoot it myself as much as I can to learn from this so any instructions are welcome for checking ignition, fueling etc. I have also have EvoScan logs at this link of some start attempts for anyone who understands them.

Thank you for any ideas,
Paul
paulkenny
Octane king
Octane king

Re: Help - Intermittent starting problems

Postby Aido C » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:56 am

Time for a new set of plugs maybe? When was the last time you changed them?
Any time a car or motorbike was getting hard to start for me a new set of plugs always did the trick.
Aido C
Have you seen my FTO tattoo?

Postby Aido C » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:01 am

Diagnostics Codes

11 Oxygen Sensor
12 Air Flow Sensor
13 Intake air temperature sensor
14 Throttle position sensor
15 ISC Motor Position Sensor
21 Engine coolant temperature sensor
22 Crank angle sensor
23 Camshaft position sensor
24 Vehicle speed sensor
25 BARO Sensor (listed as 26 in one info source)
31 Detonation sensor
32 Vacuum sensor
36 Ignition Timing Adjustment Signal
39 Oxygen Sensor
41 Injector system
42 Fuel Pump
43 EGR
44 Ignition coil and power transistor unit (Cylinder 1 & 4)
52 Ignition coil and power transistor unit (Cylinder 2 & 5)
53 Ignition coil and power transistor unit (Cylinder 3 & 6)
55 Idle Air Control Valve/Servo Valve Position Sensor
61 Communications wire with A/T-ECU
62 Intake air control valve position sensor
64 Alternator FR terminal
71 Vacuum control solenoid valve (TCL)
72 Ventilation control solenoid valve (TCL)
Aido C

Postby paulkenny » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:21 pm

@Aido C
Thanks for the reply.

The codes that I saw were being displayed by the ABS light not the Engine Warning light. The engine warning light was continuously flashing which I understand means that no DTC's are stored. So any ideas on whether or not that list still applies or does the ABS light display warning codes from the ABS control unit?

Also all the spark plugs were replaced with a new set of Denso Iridium's during its last service with Paul Nolan in May so hopefully they are not the cause of this.
paulkenny
Octane king
Octane king

Postby Mustang » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:29 pm

paulkenny wrote:.

The codes that I saw were being displayed by the ABS light not the Engine Warning light. The engine warning light was continuously flashing .

The error code is displayed by the abs light that is correct
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby paulkenny » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:59 pm

For anyone using search I thought I'd give an update on what the problem was. Had it in with Paul Nolan and it turned out to be a fault in the alarm's immobiliser.

BTW from asking around other forums it seems that the ABS light flashes out DTC's from the ABS control unit whereas the Engine warning light flashes out DTC's from the ECU. From my research it appears that the following are the DTC's for most mitsubishi's and am pretty sure they apply to the FTO also:

Fault code Fault location

11 Open circuit in front right wheel speed sensor.
12 Open circuit in front left wheel speed sensor.
13 Open circuit in rear right wheel speed sensor.
14 Open circuit in rear left wheel speed sensor.
15 Signal out of limits for wheel speed sensor.
16 The supply voltage.
21 Short circuit in front right wheel speed sensor.
22 Short circuit in front left wheel speed sensor.
23 Short circuit in rear right wheel speed sensor.
24 Short circuit in rear left wheel speed sensor.
38 The BPP(Brake pedal position) switch.
41 Front right hand inlet solenoid valve.
42 Front left hand inlet solenoid valve.
43 Rear right hand inlet solenoid valve.
44 Rear left hand inlet solenoid valve.
45 Front right hand outlet solenoid valve.
46 Front left outlet solenoid valve.
47 Rear right hand outlet solenoid valve.
48 Rear left hand outlet solenoid valve.
51 Supply voltage to solenoid valve.
53 The hydraulic pump motor.
63 The ECU
paulkenny
Octane king
Octane king

Postby CJ » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:14 pm

paulkenny wrote:Had it in with Paul Nolan and it turned out to be a fault in the alarm's immobiliser.

A couple of people have had this problem in the past (myself included), the alarm relay for disengaging the fuel pump gets stuck.

paulkenny wrote:BTW from asking around other forums it seems that the ABS light flashes out DTC's from the ABS control unit whereas the Engine warning light flashes out DTC's from the ECU. From my research it appears that the following are the DTC's for most mitsubishi's and am pretty sure they apply to the FTO also:

This questions the theory that the likes of myself and Mustang have been working off in terms of the ABS light flashing out fault codes for the ECU on cars with ABS. I've heard conflicting reports in this regard, can I ask the source of your info?

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby paulkenny » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:51 pm

Hi CJ,

I got the info from googling other forums for mitsubishi cars that use similar diagnostics procedures.

Is there any test you can think of (perhaps a sensor that is easily disconnected) that would force and ECU DTC which I could then check to see if it is flashed out by the ECO light or the ABS light.

It would be nice if we could figure out which it is for future info.

Cheers,
Paul
paulkenny
Octane king
Octane king

Postby CJ » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:50 pm

paulkenny wrote:Is there any test you can think of (perhaps a sensor that is easily disconnected) that would force and ECU DTC which I could then check to see if it is flashed out by the ECO light or the ABS light.

Disconnecting a sensor thats not currently flagged (i.e. TPS, IAT) such as the coolant temperature sensor would certainly help clear things up i.e. if the engine light flashed out 21 and the ABS sequence stayed the same then it would prove your theory. The more I think about it, the more I think you're right. From experience, I know that a faulty TPS can cause idling problems and intermittant cut-outs, our GX doesn't exhibit any of these symptoms.

I don't have much in the way of free time to trick about under the engine bay these days so I've left the car in with Paul Nolan today. At this point, I'm guessing the lambda sensor or cat is the cause of the problem...

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Gerry » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:36 pm

Hi Guys,

On a slightly different issue but in relation to ABS:
I have a genuine ABS issue on my 97 GPX, When i do a diagnostic test i get the engine light flashing at a constant rate and the ABS light flashing to represent code 12 which is the front left wheel sensor, i knew this was the failing component anyway as the resistance value was not within the required range, But the code genaerated does tie in with the fail.

Found the workshop manual Part 2 section 35B-1 very helpful on this issue.

I would imagine that the ABS light flashing would only represent errors in relation to the ABS system and all other errors in relation to the engine with be seen thru the check engine light.
Not 100% sure on this however, but on my 94 Gr that does not have ABS all errors are seen thru check engine light.
Gerry

Postby elijah » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:04 am

Aido C wrote:Diagnostics Codes

11 Oxygen Sensor
12 Air Flow Sensor
13 Intake air temperature sensor
14 Throttle position sensor
15 ISC Motor Position Sensor
21 Engine coolant temperature sensor
22 Crank angle sensor
23 Camshaft position sensor
24 Vehicle speed sensor
25 BARO Sensor (listed as 26 in one info source)
31 Detonation sensor
32 Vacuum sensor
36 Ignition Timing Adjustment Signal
39 Oxygen Sensor
41 Injector system
42 Fuel Pump
43 EGR
44 Ignition coil and power transistor unit (Cylinder 1 & 4)
52 Ignition coil and power transistor unit (Cylinder 2 & 5)
53 Ignition coil and power transistor unit (Cylinder 3 & 6)
55 Idle Air Control Valve/Servo Valve Position Sensor
61 Communications wire with A/T-ECU
62 Intake air control valve position sensor
64 Alternator FR terminal
71 Vacuum control solenoid valve (TCL)
72 Ventilation control solenoid valve (TCL)

My friend has encountered this same problem last week and is still currently experiencing it. We're both kinda confused on the codes of it. This would be a great guide for us and reference. Thanks for sharing the info. It is really helpful. :idea:
elijah

Return to FTO Technical