Nurburg ring trip august 2011

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

Nurburg ring trip august 2011

Postby kiteman » Tue May 03, 2011 8:51 pm

Nurburgring august 2011
Anyone interested in a 5 day trip to the nurburgring august 2011.
At the moment the dates are, fly out fri 5th august, and fly home wed 10th.
It will be the same deal as last year, where we will send up to 9 cars by transporter for about €700 per car for the return trip.
I'll be negotiating with the transport company tomorrow, and will try and get a better price.
The attached link shows the ring opening hours, scroll down till you see august dates and times to coincide with the above planned travelling dates.

Ps , tourist driving nordschliffe, means track is open to the public at the specified times.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/angebote/...n-nordschleife
/oeffnungszeiten-nordschleife.html

If you're interested add your name to the list, heres mine to get it started.

1/ kiteman
kiteman
1st gear
1st gear

Re: Nurburg ring trip august 2011

Postby optical illusion » Tue May 03, 2011 10:21 pm

Fair play. Transporter is the way to go. Just save lots, and lots, of money.

Firstly read this:

http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/warning.html this: http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/index.html and this: http://www.heiser.net/documents/nurburgring/

Keep it between the armco :smt002
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kiteman » Tue May 03, 2011 11:46 pm

Thanks for the heads up safety wise, but to anyone thinking of making the trip, before you go, you cannot read enough about the nordschliffe.
Forget about the play station version, while the graphics are correct, its nothing like being there and being on the edge, where ever your edge may be.
Most crashes are caused by drivers exceeding their driving ability, while trying also to impress other drivers and impress of course the crowd at the more dangerous corners. The crowd love to see drivers make idiots of themselves.
Myself, I've been to the ring 4 times so far, and have about 80 driving laps under my belt, and now I feel the urge to go out there again.
I organised the trip last easter, which included mostly guys from the Irish mitsubishi owners club, and honestly it was a great success.
Have a look at the link, its a video put together by daveGSR from IMOC, and it pretty much shows everything from loading the transporter in dublin, etc etc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYQYdxqwXmE

heers and thanks for looking,
Tommie
kiteman
1st gear
1st gear

Postby kiteman » Wed May 04, 2011 12:24 am

Ps, thats me in the video, driving the VR4, chasing the green Evo shouting "go on Paul"
And then he did, and left me.
kiteman
1st gear
1st gear

Postby optical illusion » Wed May 04, 2011 2:54 pm

Oh wow, that looks epic, great video except for the stupid music spoiling it, the sound of a V10 is music in itself!!! N00b throwing the indicator on the left should get a kicking.

So some questions, how did you manage to get a camera in your own car, and the ring taxi??? And also, tell us all what happened with the polizei... :)
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed May 04, 2011 5:36 pm

Epic looking trip. Someday with the right car.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kiteman » Wed May 04, 2011 6:27 pm

So some questions, how did you manage to get a camera in your own car, and the ring taxi??? And also, tell us all what happened with the polizei... :)

I can only answer 1 of your questions, my passenger "Dave" just held a camera in his hand as we drove the ring, he's the one who put the video together.

The remaining footage is of himself and his mates at various stages of the weekend.

Everyone knows cameras are banned on the ring, but they only make you remove one thats fitted to the dash, or somewhere as obvious as that.
kiteman
1st gear
1st gear

Postby kiteman » Sat May 07, 2011 10:54 pm

In case it will entice anyone to join us, I've negotiated the price down to €600 per car return
kiteman
1st gear
1st gear

Postby kiteman » Thu May 12, 2011 12:04 am

Looks like I'll have to knock this idea on the head, due to lack of interest and cash.
Thanks for looking and your comments just the same.
kiteman
1st gear
1st gear

Postby Dragonheart » Thu May 12, 2011 12:13 am

Someday I hope to make the ring, but not just yet. I'd also be driving over, as I think a lot of the enticement of the trip is being able to drive the Autobahn, and the road trip across Europe. Works out roughly the same for petrol as the cost of shipping the car over, maybe slightly more but not much from talking to fellas who drive back to Poland the odd time.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kiteman » Thu May 12, 2011 7:45 pm

Yeah there are pro's and con's for driving as opposed the shipping and flying.
I've done both and believe me its cheaper by far shipping and flying.
First time I went, I drove across england, dover to calais then drove through france,
belgium and germany. 17hours nonstop. Its a killer of a drive and leaves you shattered
when you get there, unless you want to spent a night in a hotel halfway. Thyat will reduce your time at the ring
and increase your costs also.
The no 1 benefit of shipping and flying, is no matter what happens your car, its coming home on the transporter.
Not so if you drive it there.
AA type of roadside assist and recovery does not apply anywhere withing 50 to 100 km of the nurburgring.
kiteman
1st gear
1st gear

Postby optical illusion » Thu May 12, 2011 11:58 pm

Shipping and flying definitely cheaper and less stressful, anyone who has driven it will tell you that.

Driving the ring is tough enough on your car without driving all the way over too.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to General FTO Discussion