Horn problem

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Horn problem

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:35 pm

Horn problem (with the car )

I fitted a new steering wheel a couple of months back - there is an earth (I presume its an earth) for the horn that connected to the old wheel. When I connected it back up to the new wheel the horn no longer works - I've tried fixing the connection to various parts of the boss kit and wheel and the relevant fuse is ok but I've had no luck.

Any ideas guys??

MfFTO
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Horn problem

Postby CJ » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:55 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:Horn problem (with the car )

I'm glad you cleared that one up ;)
The whole steering column is earthed so touching the earth wire to any metal section of the boss kit should do the job. Is it possible the the horn button is dodgy and as such is not closing the circuit? Try touching the earth and power leads together to see if the horn engages, it would rule out external issues.
What brand of wheel btw? I've fixed a few Momos in the past without any horn issues.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:13 pm

The wheel is an Isotta Vallelunga - http://www.isotta.com/sez_volanti/volan ... /126_b.jpg

Tried to earth it on the metal of the hub and the back of the wheel itself - but no luck. I had tried touching the earth and power leads together also but still didn't hear the horn so I guess it may be something else - worked fine before I changed the wheel though :?
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kevinod » Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:06 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:The wheel is an Isotta Vallelunga - http://www.isotta.com/sez_volanti/volan ... /126_b.jpg

Tried to earth it on the metal of the hub and the back of the wheel itself - but no luck. I had tried touching the earth and power leads together also but still didn't hear the horn so I guess it may be something else - worked fine before I changed the wheel though :?

Have you tried connecting the horn back to the old wheel, and seeing if it works then? although I guess touching the earth and power leads together should do the trick too.

Any old solder on the ends of the wires? Sometimes that goes bad and looks fine but doesn't conduct the electricity any more. I don't know if the horn is easy to get at (hasn't dawned on me to even look to see where that is yet) but maybe check that the wires are ok on that end?

Again, if possible, connect wires directly to the horn itself (bypassing existing wires) to see will it make a sound then, if not your horn is prob knackered, or if so one of the wires could have been broken somewhere.

Nice looking wheel... I like mine, came with it, pic of a skull on the horn button which is cool but a bit of wear and tear where the thick bit meets the narrow bit on the wheel itself. If I can't tidy it up a bit it may well be added to the to-do list at some stage.

Kev.
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:19 pm

kevinod wrote:...I like mine, came with it, pic of a skull on the horn button....Kev.

Jeez Kev,

:shock: The car came with those wheels AND a picture of a skull on the horn!!
I hope the Yazuka gangster that owned the car doesn't come looking for it back. :lol: Did you check the boot for bodies yet??

Joking aside - Help much appreciated - I'll be trying all possible avenues this weekend.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kevinod » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:57 am

Myfeckin FTO wrote:
kevinod wrote:...I like mine, came with it, pic of a skull on the horn button....Kev.

Jeez Kev,

:shock: The car came with those wheels AND a picture of a skull on the horn!!
I hope the Yazuka gangster that owned the car doesn't come looking for it back. :lol: Did you check the boot for bodies yet??

Joking aside - Help much appreciated - I'll be trying all possible avenues this weekend.

:lol: He'll prob arrive now that I have most of the nasty bits sorted out on it, the second I change the wheels! :wink: Should be in the not distant future!

Thats the problem with customs and shippers, your car never arrives with the nice stereo, gearknob or body in the boot, someone grabs them along the way. :P

Kev.
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Return to FTO Technical