Mod Chip

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Mod Chip

Postby JD » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:03 pm

Came across this 'Mod' on e-bay - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 7928964098

calims to work by...and I quote.... "[i][i]What is it? The mod itself is a small resistor that tells your engine control unit (ECU) that all of the air coming into the engine is cold and therefore dense and packed with oxygen. The ECU then takes this info and tells the injectors to fuel slightly more. This in turn makes for a more powerful detonation in the cylinders and releases the full potential of your engine.

Is my car compatible? This mod will work on any vehicle built after 1988 and normally aspirated.

What will it do for me? This mod will allow your engine to release it's full potential, your power curve will be smoother with flat spots ironed out, your 0-60 will be quicker so you can get off the line faster and your car will experience an increase in top end speed.
[/i][/i]
"

Sounds dicey to me but is there any chance at all that this would work on an FTO, and if so - without doing damage? JD
JD
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby CJ » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:50 am

Stay well away JD, its a cheap and nasty scam. These 'performance' chips have been known to blow ECUs.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mod Chip

Postby soc » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:53 am

JD wrote:Came across this 'Mod' on e-bay - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 7928964098

calims to work by...and I quote.... "[i][i][i]What is it? The mod itself is a small resistor that tells your engine control unit (ECU) that all of the air coming into the engine is cold and therefore dense and packed with oxygen. The ECU then takes this info and tells the injectors to fuel slightly more.

II'm no mechanic I wouldn't have thought it possible to increase power with by only increasing the fuelling - surely you'd have to also increase air flow too.

I would have thought that fooling the engine into thinking that there is more air flowing and then increasing the fuelling would only result iin the engine running rich.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Mod Chip

Postby kevinod » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:10 am

JD wrote:calims to work by...and I quote.... "[i][i][i]What is it? The mod itself is a small resistor that tells your engine control unit (ECU) that all of the air coming into the engine is cold and therefore dense and packed with oxygen. The ECU then takes this info and tells the injectors to fuel slightly more. This in turn makes for a more powerful detonation in the cylinders and releases the full potential of your engine.

Is my car compatible? This mod will work on any vehicle built after 1988 and normally aspirated.

The idea of telling the ECU something that isn't true doesn't sound like a good plan from the start. If you just give it more fuel without it having more air it's not going to run as well as it should.

Also, saying that it will work on any vehicle built after 88 is crazy, with so many different models of ECUs on cars of the same make & different models, never mind different makes, I can't see how that is true, as CJ said it could blow your ECU if you have the wrong one.

Kev.
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby soc » Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:21 pm

CJ wrote:Stay well away JD, its a cheap and nasty scam. These 'performance' chips have been known to blow ECUs.

CJ

The one think I've learned in the past 7 years of cars is that when it comes to tuning cars cheap and easy only results in crap results! Plus chipping an N/A car doesn't really give any decent gains (particularly the FTO) so unless you're prepared to sink big money then you're wasting your time cause you won't get any noticeable gains. Best to fit a decent exhaust and fiter to free up some noise and then concentrate on the suspension and braking.

For easy tuning get a turbo'd motor :twisted:
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:29 pm

i would much prefer to use a fuel pressure regulator to increase the fuel. much safer and fully controlable!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:01 pm

Dave wrote:i would much prefer to use a fuel pressure regulator to increase the fuel. much safer and fully controlable!

and I'm sure you could supply an RPW :-)
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:11 pm

yeah i could and a proper piggy back ecu system!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby pergau » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:51 pm

All it will do is use more petrol!
pergau
Nothing comes between me and my FTO
Nothing comes between me and my FTO

Postby Dave » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:55 pm

well with increased air flow, say a decent induction kit, manifolds, de-cat and so on, more air and more fuel equals more power!
without anything else done then yes all it will do is waste fuel!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kevinod » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:57 pm

Maybe would be good for that exhaust flames kit someone pointed out on ebay lately! :lol:
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby JD » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:10 pm

Thanks a mil guys, that was my initial instinct but I thought...you'd never know!!!!!, so decided to ask the experts, I'll steer well clear, :idea: mayby I'll just have to buy a GPX to get that extra HP :D , .................now where's my wife :?..................
JD

Postby Dave » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:48 am

or a turbo kit :twisted:
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:50 am

Dave wrote:or a turbo kit :twisted:

Dave, do you have any pricing on a turbo kit for a GR?

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:56 am

well honestly i reckon RPW will be dis-continuing the turbo kit for the GR, reasons for which we are still waiting but we hope to get it resolved and back up and running because there is serious interest over on the UK forums! but we've also been told that there may be a supercharger kit on the way!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:58 am

Any GPX kits in the pipeline that you're aware of?

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:31 am

well the supercharger is meant to be for the GPX as well but i can imagine there would be alot of R&D on it because of the mivec and all the rest. But no doubt once we hear about it ye will all hear about it. i must actually get an update on the turbo kit for the V6's.
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to FTO Technical