Tap tap tap vlick click click

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Tap tap tap vlick click click

Postby mcgon1979 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:34 pm

I have v mild tappet noise on.my car. Adjusted them a year ago and change oil ever 5k miles.
This morning I started my car first time in 2 days to.a load enough cluck click.click or tap tap tap. It sounded like a bad bearing (freaked). It increased with speed as I revved. It got quieter and quieter and was gone in 30seconds. Not been there when I started 3 or 4 times since but car was warm etc. Is that tappet noise? Thought tappeys like sewing machine noise? This sounded more like one tap tap tap like a bearing it something.not sure. Might be just tappet noise.
Opinions or suggestions? I'm off to.read the archives now. :)
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Re: Tap tap tap vlick click click

Postby StewyD32 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:08 pm

I'm not oo sure about the bearings but seems it went away when the oil was warmed up I'd be inclined to think it the tappets.
On the otherhand the noise just wouldn't be there all of a sudden, it would be progressively worse over time.
Silver 97 Mirage Asti V coupe
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby richardc9052 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:05 pm

Actually if you dont drive your car as regularly as normal the tappets wont be full of oil and as such need time for the oil to be warmed up (so it is thinner) and can be pumped into the tappets. if it starts to happen every time you start the car its the seals in the tappets, if the noise never goes away the tappets need adjusting again, but your noise was just the tappet because they where dry :D
Cos they are "GORGEOUS" - StewyD32
richardc9052
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby mcgon1979 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:34 pm

Hey guys. Thanks for your replies. I left the car from 9am ttill.6pm and no noise when I started it. Then left it overnight for 14 hours, no noise when started.I think it was a one off thing alright. Like Richard suggests, left for 2 days in cold weather something just needed oil circulated around.
Nct Friday :( cat going in tomorrow. Will let ye know how it goes. Not pre testing it at all. They always find something so ill just see what comes from it.
Cheers for the replies, not been on here much with new life commitments etc but always nice to drop by.
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby optical illusion » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:35 pm

Hi McGon, nice to see you're still around :wink:

That happened me once too. Came and went and that was the end of it, cold day too just as autumn was finishing up, and was parked up for 2 days.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby mcgon1979 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:15 pm

Yup. I think that was definitely it. No repeat at all.

I took out the miltek decat box today and put the cat in. Its less throathy and raspy at hhigh end, but still sounds v nice. Much smoother sound. No more bangs and pops listing off after hard acceleration probably :) think I'll leave the cat in though. Nct due yearly now and changing it every 11months would be a pain. Don't care about losing 5bhp it what not. Was more worried about it sounding like a micra. Sounds fine though :)))

Yay.
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Return to FTO Technical