problematic brakes

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

problematic brakes

Postby CJ » Sun Aug 17, 2003 5:15 pm

Does anyone know the telltale signs when one of the brake pistons gets stuck in the caliper? I've had ongoing problems with brakes over the past few months and I reckon this might be the problem. Braking hard isn't a problem, but coming to a stop slowly is (accompanied by an annoying screeching sound). I also notice that when taking the foot off the brake pedal when at the lights while moving off results in a clunking sound on the LHS. I've convinced one of the pots is stuck but I'm unsure of how this is normally manifested. Any takers?

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CJ » Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:04 pm

Right, one of the pistons is screwed, I tried lubing it up without joy. When you depress the brake pedal, one pot comes out but not the other, see below

I can get the other pot out by clamping up the working one and again depressing the brake pedel but both won't operate at once:

I assume this can't be fixed and I need a new caliper, can anyone confirm?

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby keville » Sat Aug 23, 2003 1:13 pm

Ciaran,

Its probably the seals that went on the piston so the build up of brake dust may have locked up the piston thats not working(did you notice if the seals were gone)
Im not 100% sure :?: but I think you can get kits to reseal the pistons I remember a couple of years ago a guy got them for me for a toyota twin cam,but i haven't a clue if you can get them for the fto....

Keville
keville
Octane king
Octane king

Postby CJ » Sat Aug 23, 2003 1:26 pm

The seals on the pistons *look* ok but I think you're right as regards brake dust clogging them up. I've mailed U-save in the UK for price on a used caliper as I can't see any other way of sorting the problem. As far as I can see, theres no way to strip down the caliper :roll:

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dean » Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:17 am

As of friday I am getting a squealing from the right front wheel as well. Happens until I make a sudden stop and press the brake hard, then it goes away until I leave the car for an hour or so, comes back then.
I am guessing simple fix like pad change, but cant be sure.
Dean
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby soc » Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:23 pm

CJ wrote:The seals on the pistons *look* ok but I think you're right as regards brake dust clogging them up. I've mailed U-save in the UK for price on a used caliper as I can't see any other way of sorting the problem. As far as I can see, theres no way to strip down the caliper :roll:

Ciaran

kempy's are pretty cheap for used calipers.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby steelroe » Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:18 am

Ciaran,

You can get seal repair kits.
The piston should pull straight of the caliper. If you take it out and clean it with rust off or something similar. Remove the seal from the piston carefully.
There is a section on brake caliper maintenance in the FTO manuals.

Is there enough fluid in the reservoir?

Rory
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby steelroe » Thu Aug 28, 2003 9:21 am

Ciaran,

Are you saying that when you clamp one pot and apply the brake the other one comes out?

Rory
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:10 am

steelroe wrote:Ciaran,

You can get seal repair kits.
The piston should pull straight of the caliper. If you take it out and clean it with rust off or something similar. Remove the seal from the piston carefully.
There is a section on brake caliper maintenance in the FTO manuals.

Is there enough fluid in the reservoir?

Rory

Crap, I just ordered a new caliper from Kempys in NZ :? better cancel it for the mo. When I clamp up either of the two pistons, the other one will pop out when the brake is depressed, when unclamped only one of the comes out of the caliper. They seem pretty tightly stuck, any hints for getting them out of there? The resevoir is nearly full btw.

Cheers

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:15 am

CJ wrote:
Crap, I just ordered a new caliper from Kempys in NZ :?

Ciaran

How much were you quoted for the recon caliper from kempys?
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:29 am

shane wrote:

NZ$106 for one used caliper and $110 shipping :roll: all in, it was €113 or so....
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:17 pm

CJ wrote:
shane wrote:

NZ$106 for one used caliper and $110 shipping :roll: all in, it was €113 or so....

damn shipping is a lot - i was thinking of upgrading the calipers on my GR to the twin pots from the GPX... suppose 200 euro aint bad for 2 calipers.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:45 pm

For anyone thats interested, heres 2 links to some good articles about disassembling brake calipers:

http://www.head2head.free-online.co.uk/ ... aliper.htm
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Down ... build.html

I'll let you know how I get on.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CJ » Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:37 pm

Right, I've made matters worse :? I dissasembled the caliper\piston, all looked OK so put it back together. While I was in the process, I changed the brake fluid and bled all of the old fluid out of the system making sure that there was always fluid in the resevoir. Now, when I pump the brake pedal, its only stays firm for a few seconds, as a result, stopping distance has increased a fair bit. Any ideas folks?

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby steelroe » Sat Aug 30, 2003 9:33 am

You still have cair in the system.

Rory
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby keville » Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:31 am

ha-ha!

Still a bit shakey from last night but i think Rory meant you still have air in the system :lol:

Keville
keville
Octane king
Octane king

Postby CJ » Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:31 am

steelroe wrote:You still have cair in the system.

Rory

Thats what I thought as well, all sorted now thanks to the correct bleeding technique, theres a lot to be said for RTFM :)

However, I still have the original problem! Might leave it to the experts at this stage...

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby keville » Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:37 am

Ciaran the brakes are pretty good on my gr but i was wondering do the calipers for the gpx bolt on to the gr or is there adjustments to be made :?:

Keville
keville
Octane king
Octane king

Postby CJ » Sat Aug 30, 2003 6:05 pm

keville wrote:Ciaran the brakes are pretty good on my gr but i was wondering do the calipers for the gpx bolt on to the gr or is there adjustments to be made :?:

Keville

GPX calipers will bolt straight onto a GR but you'll also have to change the disks and the pads to suit. In addition to that you will also have to cut away some of the heat shield to accomadate the new disks.
GS and GR calipers share the same single pot units while the GPX has twin pots units. GPX disks have a larger diameter but I don't have dimensions to hand.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby keville » Sun Aug 31, 2003 6:22 pm

Cheers Ciaran I may have a go at this over the next couple of weeks

Keville
keville
Octane king
Octane king

Postby soc » Mon Sep 01, 2003 2:38 pm

keville wrote:Cheers Ciaran I may have a go at this over the next couple of weeks

Keville

AFAIK, it's a pretty straight forward swop and it shouldn't be any different to changind disks pads
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby keville » Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:39 pm

Thanks Shane,

All I have to do now is locate the calipers as im goin to buy the disks

Keville
keville
Octane king
Octane king

Postby soc » Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:20 am

CJ wrote:
steelroe wrote:You still have cair in the system.

Rory

Thats what I thought as well, all sorted now thanks to the correct bleeding technique, theres a lot to be said for RTFM :)

However, I still have the original problem! Might leave it to the experts at this stage...

CJ

Hey Ciaran,

I'm thinking of changing my brake fluid but having never done it before I want to make sure I do it right. I've had a quick look in the manual and I know that you have to do it in sequence - passenger side rear, drivers side front, drivers side rear, passenger side front - but I'm not 100% sure on the the actual bleeding..... do I need someone to help me, i.e. to press the brake pedal when actually bleeding each brake line? And how do I prevent the resevoir from running empty - do I just top up the resevoir with new fluid - but will the new fluid not mix with the old fluid? Now I've just confused myself ....... :(
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:40 am

shane wrote:[I'm thinking of changing my brake fluid but having never done it before I want to make sure I do it right. I've had a quick look in the manual and I know that you have to do it in sequence - passenger side rear, drivers side front, drivers side rear, passenger side front

You've got the sequence right anyway Shane. This is the way I did it:

1. From 2 drain points, (one front and rear), drain off as much of the old fluid without running the resevoir dry.
2. Fill the reservoir up with new fluid and repeat the same process, this time, from the other two drain points.
3. Fill the resevoir up again and bleed the brakes in the correct sequence.

Make sure you have 2 Lites of fluid just in case, there will be some wastage from the bleeding process. The important part is not to let the resevoir run dry so check if often during the process. When you've finished, pump the brake pedal to get the pressure back up again. If the pressure drops after a few seconds, theres still air in the system which means bleedin the system again.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:47 am

CJ wrote:
shane wrote:[I'm thinking of changing my brake fluid but having never done it before I want to make sure I do it right. I've had a quick look in the manual and I know that you have to do it in sequence - passenger side rear, drivers side front, drivers side rear, passenger side front

You've got the sequence right anyway Shane. This is the way I did it:

1. From 2 drain points, (one front and rear), drain off as much of the old fluid without running the resevoir dry.
2. Fill the reservoir up with new fluid and repeat the same process, this time, from the other two drain points.
3. Fill the resevoir up again and bleed the brakes in the correct sequence.

Make sure you have 2 Lites of fluid just in case, there will be some wastage from the bleeding process. The important part is not to let the resevoir run dry so check if often during the process. When you've finished, pump the brake pedal to get the pressure back up again. If the pressure drops after a few seconds, theres still air in the system which means bleedin the system again.

Ciaran

Did you use a bleed kit? If you don't have a bleed kit do you just disconnect the brake pipe from the caliper? And do you not need someone to stand on the brake pedal to push the fluid out?
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Next

Return to FTO Technical