Starlet Turbo

A forum dedicated to quick Japanese motors

Moderator: Moderators

Starlet Turbo

Postby Dave » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:41 am

Was on my private road (you know the one i'm talking about), one of these behind me, dropped it a couple of gears and it stayed with me till 120 or so, i back off then as my tyres are pretty crap, i would have thought that the FTO would have had the upper hand especially top end... granted i had my brother in the car and all the ice etc and his did look stripped out.....
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Muad_dib77 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:21 am

well when you say 120 are you talking mph or kph? you have to remember what it's v. easy to get more boot in one of those little yokes - and that although they have the aerodynamics of a midsized brick they don't really weigh that much. (Built from tin-foil, llama spittle and cardboard as far as I know)..

Oh NOI to any starbo lovers out there..

I'd say get yourself some fresh rubber - take it beyond the 120 and you'll see the starbo fall back.. If not - just remember how the starbo looks compared to what you drive.
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby Dave » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:25 am

mph.... :roll:

i don't do it very often but felt like opening her up a little....

it didn't bother me at all,i know which one i'd prefer!!i was just under the impression that the FTO would have had the legs after 100 or so, granted my rev counter wasn't working at the time so i didn't know where the red line was!! :cry:

speaking of which, anyone got any ideas on the rev counter? it works some days then others it doesn't!! speedo works fine....
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

starlet turbo

Postby karlf » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:29 am

My sis's fella's brother(if you can follow that) has a glanza turbo. He got some stuff done(new grade 2 turbo and blitz cooling system) its supposed to be the dogs whatsits. Been told a few stories about it, he left a type r integra for dust on the m50 and the guy met up with him at the lights and asked "what the f*$k you done to that".The only thing thats visible on it is the stainless steel pipes, that are part of the cooling system, sticking out from under the front bumper, other than that it looks like an ordinary starlet. Its up around 250bhp in high turbo, 220 in low. He lives down in balbriggan. Its a white 99 D. Was only in it the once myself but the power was unbelievable for such a small car.
karlf
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby Muad_dib77 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:32 am

Dave wrote:mph.... :roll:

it didn't bother me at all,i know which one i'd prefer!!i was just under the impression that the FTO would have had the legs after 100 or so, granted my rev counter wasn't working at the time so i didn't know where the red line was!! :cry:

speaking of which, anyone got any ideas on the rev counter? it works some days then others it doesn't!! speedo works fine....

Have you checked the connectors on the back of the speedo/rev thing?
There's two wide multipin connectors - if these become intermiddent you'd have "dodgy" functionality..

Try Tapping the pastic in front the rev meter - if it comes back to live for a short period of time that likely to be the problem.
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Muad_dib77

Postby Dave » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:35 am

Muad_dib77 wrote:
Dave wrote:mph.... :roll:

Have you checked the connectors on the back of the speedo/rev thing?
There's two wide multipin connectors - if these become intermiddent you'd have "dodgy" functionality..

Try Tapping the pastic in front the rev meter - if it comes back to live for a short period of time that likely to be the problem.

it's not the connection on the dials, i think the problem stems from the engine transplant as the speedo wasn't working when that was done... is there a sensor down near the gearbox as i'd say that's where the problem is coming from....
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Muad_dib77 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:00 am

There's a wee small plug on the top side of the gear box. It's handy enough to find cause it's sitting there on it's own. Take all of 2 minutes to locate.
Give it a bit of a clean and make sure it's seated properly.
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Muad_dib77

Postby Dave » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:18 am

yeah must do that, i brought the car back about the speedo and there was a bit of water on the sensor and that caused it to conk out, cleaned it and no problems since....
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:26 am

I've driven a couple of mildly modified Glanza Turbos and my GPX Manual is def quicker so its likely this car had an upgraded turbo - have come across one running 250bhp in Limerick and running circa 14 sec 1/4 miles.

They will respond better to mods like induction and exhuast as they are turbos and of course they are fairly light. There were several at he 1/4 mile this year running 14.5 sec to 15.5 sec 1/4 miles but the quicker ones were barely a shell with quite a few mods.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to Japanese Performance