Hi

Say hello to other forum members

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with the forum rules before posting!

Hi

Postby paulkenny » Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:05 pm

Hi,
I've been lurking here for the past couple of weeks trying to gather info before buying an FTO. Anyway I've just purchased at auction in Japan last weekend. :D Now I need to wait for it to be shipped :( Thanks for the excellent importing guide, it gave me the confidence to go for it rather than get ripped off by the Irish Car Traders ...and so called import agents!!
What I've got is a 98 GPX manual in silver with a VR spoiler. Pretty much my ideal spec. It has higher mileage than I would like but the body is in v good nick and it was a good price. One of the bad points is that the driver seat is fairly worn and torn in one area ...so I guess the best solution to that problem would be a full leather retrim ;)
I was thinking of ordering from a guy called Bandit on the FTOOC forum. I was wondering if anyone here has ordered from him. How was your experience, is the quality good? Did he seem like a trustworthy guy to deal with and lastly how much did it cost including shipping?
Thanks for any info, I'm sure it won't be the last of my questions!
Cheers,
Paul
paulkenny
Octane king
Octane king

Postby CByrne » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:42 pm

Congrats on the purchase, very envious of a 98 GPX manual!
No idea bout Bandit but the guys here will no doubt assist.
I have the exact same prob on the drivers seat, right lumbar support area, I think just about everyone has wear and tear here tho so you are def not alone!
Congrats again.
CByrne
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby CJ » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:36 am

Welcome Paul, about time you made yourself known ;)

Congrats on the purchase and well done on taking the import route, its good to see that Kevs guide proving to be useful. What auction site did you use out of interest?

I've purchased a retrim off Bandit in the UK, I can recommend this route as its good quality and cheaper than getting the work done here. The only issue is that you have to fit yourself, which is time consuming.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:46 am

CJ wrote:I've purchased a retrim off Bandit in the UK, I can recommend this route as its good quality and cheaper than getting the work done here. The only issue is that you have to fit yourself, which is time consuming.

CJ

There must be a couple of Upholsterers in Ireland that would fit the leather if you brought along the kit - it would save them having to come up with a template in any case.

BTW Paul - the cheaper option would be to fit a couple of Sparcos. This is a route I would more likely take than a full retrim. Not knocking the retrim or anything - looks and feels very well - just a personal preference for a more bolstered seat.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:55 am

Myfeckin FTO wrote:BTW Paul - the cheaper option would be to fit a couple of Sparcos

What sort of money would you be talking per seat? My only reservation with this route is that you don't have continuity throughout that car in terms of the colour of the fabric, style over substance if you like...

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kevinod » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:56 am

Hey Paul,

welcome to fto-ireland!

Good luck with the import, hope it arrives without any nasty surprises! Keep on top of the guys shipping it, that can take a while (5 months it took before mine left japan :roll: ).

Have probably the same problem as yourself with the seat, torn just on the right, seems to be the same all around. My solution has been to order a leather retrim from Bandit, should have been started late last week so I should get it in 2-3 weeks from what I've been told. I'll post a few pics when I get it fitted.

Re Bandit, I've heard nothing but good things about him. Sometimes he can take a couple of days to respond to a message, but I've yet to hear a single complaint from anyone who dealt with him.

Kev.
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby paulkenny » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:20 am

Thanks for all of the info, I don't mind a bit of work so I reckon I'll go the leather retrim route alright as I'd like to have the back seats and door cards done too.
I'll defo keep pressure on the importers ...5 months sounds like some wait alright ...I haven't got a shipping date from them yet but from any correspondance I've had with them I would expect it to be leaving Japan within the next few weeks. I used the IDirect section on autoterminal.com, I've been happy with their service so far, hopefully I'll have no problems.... :shock:
p
paulkenny
Octane king
Octane king

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:21 am

CJ wrote:
Myfeckin FTO wrote:BTW Paul - the cheaper option would be to fit a couple of Sparcos

What sort of money would you be talking per seat? My only reservation with this route is that you don't have continuity throughout that car in terms of the colour of the fabric, style over substance if you like...

CJ

Well - you'd obviously need a reclining seat rather than a fixed back and these tend to be more expensive - but I have seen good quality new recliners for anything between €250 (Savage or Cobra) http://www.iconstyling.com/shopproduct. ... 509259&TP=

and Sparco or Recaro €400 approx http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/images ... O%20BL.jpg

(this is where it starts to make less sense)
or go all out with an Alcantara at €650 per seat -

http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/images ... c%20BL.jpg

or leather Sparco - 1K per seat
http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/images ... h%20BG.jpg
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:30 am

Myfeckin FTO wrote:or leather Sparco - 1K per seat
http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/images ... h%20BG.jpg

I have to admit, it looks the business

Aftermarket seats make lots of sence in 2 seaters, if you left the rear as is in the FTO, it just wouldn't look the part IMO.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Introduce yourself