5 speed auto vs 4 speed auto gearbox

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

5 speed auto vs 4 speed auto gearbox

Postby brccrx » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:56 pm

Hi all.

Just wonder whats the differences except one gear more :)

Does the car better MPG with 5 speed?
Whats the acceleration difference?
Finally how easy/difficult is to find 5 speed box? Will it need different loom gearbox ECU, clocks?

Any info is much appreciated!
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Re: 5 speed auto vs 4 speed auto gearbox

Postby MY-JAP-MISTRESS » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:36 pm

at a guess id say the 5 spd would get better mpg and the 4 spd would have longer gears tho I could be wrong. if your thinking of changing boxes would it not be better to go for a manual as they wont rob so much power
MY-JAP-MISTRESS
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby brccrx » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:26 pm

MY-JAP-MISTRESS wrote:at a guess id say the 5 spd would get better mpg and the 4 spd would have longer gears tho I could be wrong. if your thinking of changing boxes would it not be better to go for a manual as they wont rob so much power

I was thinking to go to manual one for the start when i bought the car, but the thing is that its so comfy and relaxing to use auto box that over the years of using manual i just fell in love with auto box!

What do U mean robing the power? I think mine 4 speed auto gpx would be as fast as manual one tbh
Testing the acceleration the other day i got 60km/h at 8500rpm 1st gear and 120km/h at 8500rpm 2-nd gear.
0-100km/h in 7seconds
I think thats not bad? Could it do any better having the manual gearbox?
Car moving at 80km/h has 3000 rpms and about 3800 at 100km/h at 4th gear

I have no aircond and power steering though that fell just tiny bit better than when it was on the car!
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby Chris_Heilong » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:39 pm

I had a 5 speed and just sold it today, the gear ratios make for a faster feel but auto boxes from that time period used torque convertors which basically eat around 20 to 30 hpcompared to manuals in total contrast to modern auto boxes that use double clutch technology so end up being faster than manuals. (this was proven when we did a rolling road with my car vs 2 manuals)
White 98 GX, HID lights, SS Exhaust, 17" BK racing Alloys, lowered Suspension, Veilside rear bumper, illuminated Door handles, Leatherette seats
Chris_Heilong
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby brccrx » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:44 pm

Chris_Heilong wrote:I had a 5 speed and just sold it today, the gear ratios make for a faster feel but auto boxes from that time period used torque convertors which basically eat around 20 to 30 hpcompared to manuals in total contrast to modern auto boxes that use double clutch technology so end up being faster than manuals. (this was proven when we did a rolling road with my car vs 2 manuals)

What figures and what models do U mean Chris? GPX manual vs GPX 4 or 5 speed boxes?

Thanks for all replays lads!
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby MY-JAP-MISTRESS » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:15 pm

I always had the plan to at some stage to change the box to manual but I love the tipp box even tho it a 4 spd. going from a fto for 4 years then to a manual 106 lol I really cant wait to have the tippy back again. dont think I will ever buy anything but an auto box ever again
MY-JAP-MISTRESS
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby goz_83 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:16 pm

brccrx wrote:
Chris_Heilong wrote:I had a 5 speed and just sold it today, the gear ratios make for a faster feel but auto boxes from that time period used torque convertors which basically eat around 20 to 30 hpcompared to manuals in total contrast to modern auto boxes that use double clutch technology so end up being faster than manuals. (this was proven when we did a rolling road with my car vs 2 manuals)

What figures and what models do U mean Chris? GPX manual vs GPX 4 or 5 speed boxes?

Thanks for all replays lads!

It was 2 Manual GPXs and a 5 speed auto GX.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Chris_Heilong » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:22 am

Basically, the manuals had figure closer to factory spec the the Auto which was down 25hp on the factory spec, the results seem to be in line with those that have autoboxes in the uk on ftooc. Does not matter what the model, It doesnt matter because to me my car felt ver fast and I also like the auto box.
White 98 GX, HID lights, SS Exhaust, 17" BK racing Alloys, lowered Suspension, Veilside rear bumper, illuminated Door handles, Leatherette seats
Chris_Heilong

Postby brccrx » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:15 am

Chris_Heilong wrote:Basically, the manuals had figure closer to factory spec the the Auto which was down 25hp on the factory spec, the results seem to be in line with those that have autoboxes in the uk on ftooc. Does not matter what the model, It doesnt matter because to me my car felt ver fast and I also like the auto box.

Yeah whatever the set make U happy its best for U :) Im just considering 5 speed auto box in my GPX not manual gearbox at all!

Have spare Asti Mivec RS shell here and thinking of converting it to V6 with 4g92 Mivec RS manual gearbox as ive bought another 6a12 FTO recently.
Nothing sure but i would love to see how would this car go then.

Its not the dyno figures that determinate the fast car, its the drag race ;) But i wouldn't mind to see as much as possible when dyno the car hehe.

Anyone ever tried auto and manual in a straight line together?
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby Bernard » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:06 pm

brccrx wrote: Anyone ever tried auto and manual in a straight line together?

Skip to 4.33 for the FTOs

Tip Vs Manual From Youtube.com
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby brccrx » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:24 pm

Bernard wrote:
brccrx wrote: Anyone ever tried auto and manual in a straight line together?

Skip to 4.33 for the FTOs

Tip Vs Manual From Youtube.com

OMG thats a great movie showing the difference!

Thanks a lot!

So Mirage Asti with V6 and RS Mirage gearbox will be a great idea! There 4.6 final drive in it, should be nice! :twisted:
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby V6 Mivec Colt » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:35 pm

that's true an rs box should be a nice upgrade

I got 15inch wheels on the colt with standard fto box and it does not drop out of mivec , I assume the smaller wheels are keeping her in mivec rather than the 16's that come on ftos so even the fto box will stay in mivec with small wheels seb
V6 Mivec Colt
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby brccrx » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:39 pm

V6 Mivec Colt wrote:that's true an rs box should be a nice upgrade

I got 15inch wheels on the colt with standard fto box and it does not drop out of mivec , I assume the smaller wheels are keeping her in mivec rather than the 16's that come on ftos so even the fto box will stay in mivec with small wheels seb

What drive shafts and hubs U have on the front Adam?
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Return to FTO Technical