Smelly Air Con and Window Problem

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Smelly Air Con and Window Problem

Postby JD » Sat Sep 06, 2003 10:24 am

Hi all,
Two minor problems :?

My air con smells mouldy and I can't seem to shift it - any simple way to sort this out?

When I put my drivers window down fully it goes down a tiny bit too far, about half a centimeter, which means that the runners are half way out of their supports and window isn't fully supported and rattles around (quite a lot). Any ideas on how to adjust it?

Cheers
Dave
JD
I prefer my FTO to the missus

smelly air con

Postby ronbyrne » Sat Sep 06, 2003 9:11 pm

i know the smell your on about, got the same prob myself, a damp mildew smell. i havn't tried the cure yet but i read that if you turn the blower fan on and spray any anti-bacterial spray into the air vents at the bottom of the windscreen ( outside , where the air comes into the car ) it will cure the problem as its caused by bacteria living in the vents.
ronbyrne

Re: Smelly Air Con and Window Problem

Postby CJ » Sun Sep 07, 2003 2:46 pm

JD wrote:Hi all,

My air con smells mouldy and I can't seem to shift it - any simple way to sort this out?

When I put my drivers window down fully it goes down a tiny bit too far, about half a centimeter, which means that the runners are half way out of their supports and window isn't fully supported and rattles around (quite a lot). Any ideas on how to adjust it?

You'll need to get some anti-bacterial spray from someone like Radionics, I've used this before to get rid of smells from the aircon system. Check out http://www.mitsubishi-fto.org/workshop/ ... index.html

As regards rattling windows, you need new window guides, you can them from Co-ordsport in the UK, if memory serves me, they're not too expensive.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JD » Sun Sep 07, 2003 4:09 pm

Thanks guys,
I'll give those a try and let you know how I get on.
Cheers
Dave
JD

Postby soc » Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:23 am

CJ wrote:As regards rattling windows, you need new window guides, you can them from Co-ordsport in the UK, if memory serves me, they're not too expensive.

Ciaran

Or you could go the cheap easy route.... take off the door cards and get a vice grips and squeeze the window guides so they grip the window tighter.... AFAIK they rattle because the window becomes loose in the guides - this worked for me on my old GS and I'll be trying it on my GR.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:22 pm

shane wrote:Or you could go the cheap easy route.... take off the door cards and get a vice grips and squeeze the window guides so they grip the window tighter.... AFAIK they rattle because the window becomes loose in the guides - this worked for me on my old GS and I'll be trying it on my GR.

Must give that a go Shane, good tip.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kace » Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:20 pm

Nice one - I've been trying to buy these from Coord for months now (they're out of stock) before I soundproof my doors. Think I'll just go ahead and give it a go this weekend.
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:42 am

In case you're wondering were the window guide is located:

http://www.hostilesmoker.pwp.blueyonder ... wto02.html

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Daz » Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:39 pm

JD wrote:Hi all,

Cheers
Dave

Try this taken from a smartgroups site........

Author wrote:
> Does anybody know where you put the air-con cleaning fluid spray cant find
> the intake for it,
> supposed to be in the engine compartment somewhere??
> Please help
> (smelly fto)

you put in in the inside in the passenger footwell if you take the 3 screws out of the fan and spray it in there then run for a while it'll sort it. did mine last year not smelt it since
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Return to FTO Technical