Failed nct for rear licence plate letters being 57mm

Discuss issues related to the NCT \ MOT

Moderator: Moderators

Failed nct for rear licence plate letters being 57mm

Postby iano128 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:18 am

Hi guys, hoping someone here can help me. I brought my gpx for it's nct today and the guy failed the rear license plate saying the letters have to be 70mm(which was news to me). The interesting part is this reg was on it when I bought it and looks completely standard hell it passed just fine last year without a word said. So I went to measure it up for ordering a new one and it looks like a new one will be to big as mine currently measures 320mm by 180mm. Also I was reading through the rules for the size and saw the following:

Where the indented space provided for the number plate is not sufficient to accommodate a standard size
number plate, the registration plate and registration letters and numbers may be reduced in size relative
to the space provided for the number plate.

So judging by the fact that I can't really fit a bigger plate should it of passed?
iano128
1st gear
1st gear

Re: Failed nct for rear licence plate letters being 57mm

Postby goz_83 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:01 pm

Bring that to the tester and it should pass.

Although, I ordered a new plate online a few months ago and it fit perfectly. The old one was damaged. It only cost me a few quid, but if you don't need a new plate......bring it back to him and point out the regs.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby iano128 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:26 am

Cheers goz, I went back for the retest without changing it and the guy never even mentioned it.
iano128
1st gear
1st gear

Postby Kace » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:36 pm

I failed mine once for not having 'Baile Atha Cliath' above the numbers on the rear Jap plate. Printed out the words on a laser printer and selotaped them on to pass.

They sure are making it difficult to have anything that isn't 100% standard in this country.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to NCT \ MOT