Underbody Rust

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Underbody Rust

Postby Kace » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:21 pm

Following on from earlier discussions on this topic - I am due to drop up my car to George at GVD to get a bit of underbody rust on the chassis legs sorted (and maybe some welding done if it needs it).

Due to constraints around availability etc. I have had to let the NCT retest timeframe expire. Just went on to the website there and booked a slot for the earliest time possible - early September, so I should have the problem sorted by then.

In the meantime I am getting used to not having HIDs (no need for lights during the summer anyway) and my decat, which I miss.

Goz - when is your work scheduled for with George ?
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Underbody Rust

Postby goz_83 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:33 am

Its scheduled this month, but as I am in no rush to get my car on the road, you're more than welcome to skip the queue. I believe he is currently busy with DubCs car.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:19 pm

goz_83 wrote:Its scheduled this month, but as I am in no rush to get my car on the road, you're more than welcome to skip the queue. I believe he is currently busy with DubCs car.

Thanks very much Goz - I think he has a bit more capacity at present anyway and I told him that I would leave him my car in with him for a while later in the month.

He definitely sounds like the man to sort it anyway so I looking forward to getting it to him. I will get the full underseal done also, as if my car is sitting up during winter-time that is a recipe for disaster.
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Wagalini » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:10 am

Hi all,

I left my FTO in with GVD on Tuesday and picked it up yesterday evening. I'd to get the passenger side rear Chassis Leg done and had been quoted €350 elsewhere for the job.

In GVD they did both Chassis Legs and welded up a few other holes. The sections were undercoated afterwards so I can't see the actual weld work but it looks like a nice clean job. So both Chassis Legs plus a few bits extra and it only came to €120!

Great place to find Goz! I'd a nice long chat with the guy there who has a FTO himself.
Wagalini
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby goz_83 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:13 pm

Cheap and cheerful. Nice price. You were talking to Robbie who owns the white FTO. He has done a great job on it too. I like that GVD just do those extra bits and don't even charge for it half the time. I wouldn't trust other garages for that money.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby brccrx » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:42 pm

Thats cheap for replacing both rear chassis legs! or they actually just patched em up? Still not to bad price for the type of work!
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby Kace » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:55 pm

That's music to my ears lads. My machine is heading in next week for a vacation for a couple of weeks for the same job, so looking forward to that.
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:09 am

Safely deposited at GVD - seems like he has nothing but FTOs up there !! 'Twas like a mini-meet ;-)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Wagalini » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:24 am

Wagalini wrote:Hi all,

I left my FTO in with GVD on Tuesday and picked it up yesterday evening. I'd to get the passenger side rear Chassis Leg done and had been quoted €350 elsewhere for the job.

In GVD they did both Chassis Legs and welded up a few other holes. The sections were undercoated afterwards so I can't see the actual weld work but it looks like a nice clean job. So both Chassis Legs plus a few bits extra and it only came to €120!

Great place to find Goz! I'd a nice long chat with the guy there who has a FTO himself.

Hi guys just an update on this. I had her up at Paul Nolan's during last week and got him to take a look at the welds. He said that it was a good job but that it was only the passenger side chassis leg which had been replaced. They'd both been underbody painted so I must have just miss understood what George in GVD had said. Still €120 for on chassic leg is less than half what I'd been quoted in the other place.
Wagalini
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby goz_83 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:55 pm

Did the other leg need any attention, other than underseal? I couldn't imagine only one being done if both needed doing. Hopefully it was only one leg and sealing the other one was all it needed. Good to hear from another mechanic that it was done properly though.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Wagalini » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:32 am

Hey Goz. I don't need the other leg done at the moment, the passenger side was the one which had gone the most. But it'll probably have to be done inside the next year.
Wagalini
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Return to FTO Technical