Gearbox Problem

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Gearbox Problem

Postby dazmac » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:23 pm

Hi folks

Need some help identifying a problem
FTO GX 95 Manual

The gears have been coming more and more stiffer last week or so then last night I was reversing out of a parking space and the gear box went pop- the gear lever then became complete loose but now the gear is stuck in reverse only - cant move it out of reverse - the Gear stick just moves around in a loose manor. I had considered reversing all the way home :roll: but I pushed it back into carparking space for now.
The clutch still operates ok. Anyone familiar with this issue - am a looking at a new gear box or is it just a cable issue

Thanks for any help on this.
Darren
dazmac
1st gear
1st gear

Re: Gearbox Problem

Postby goz_83 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:26 pm

Oh that sounds nasty. Sounds like the gear shifter has broken away from the gear changing mechanism in the box itself. Although, i'm by no means expert, it would seem that if the shifter is moving freely and the gear is stuck to reverse, it'll be at best, an open up the gear box to see what's broken. If you need a replacement, it won't be so easy to find for a manual fto.

The problem might have happened from alack of gear oil, because you did say the gear changing was getting tight. That oil might have been in there for 17 years!

Hopefully someone on here with more mechanical know-how can give you better news.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby paulkenny » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:20 pm

Hi,
A similar problem happened to me a few weeks ago and I couldn't select 2nd, 4th and reverse. It turned out to be the gearbox cable bracket (http://goo.gl/XQO9E). I was able to bodge a fix with a cable tie until my new one arrived from camskill. I got it fitted last week and all is good now.
Cheers,
Paul
paulkenny
Octane king
Octane king

Postby Sebastian » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:28 pm

sounds like the gearbox cable snapped

happened to me before , here is a link

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m3b0s12p11462 ... al_Gearbox

Pop the hood and check behind the plenum you should spot if the cable or bracket are broken
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby goz_83 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:33 pm

If the cable was snapped, that's one thing, but how would the stiff shifting (i can hear Laura laughing now) have occurred in the first place? Replacing a snapped cable might be just one part of the problem and might soon happen again if there is undue stress on the cable.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby dazmac » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:51 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys - much appreciated

Have got it all checked out and you were bang on about the problem

I need both the New Gearbox Cable and the Bracket - and lack of gear oil seemed to have potentially caused the problem

Date of manufacture and first registration was pre 10/95 so I think i reckon these particular cables instead -but what is the difference between a Pre 09\ post 09 GX?
http://www.camskill.co.uk/m3b0s12p11461/_MITSUBISHI_OE_GENUINE_PARTS_SERVICING_PARTS_TUNING_SPARES_and_SERVICE_ACCESSORIES_-_Manual_Gearbox_Cable_-_FTO_V6_DE3A_with_Manual_Gearbox

The cable bracket is Pre 09/95 so this one should be fine http://goo.gl/XQO9E

Was able to manually change into the different gears and drive the car in 1st and 2nd and reverse so all seems ok with Gearbox itself.. for now, its 17 year old car and hasn't given me any bothering 5 years of driving after all but I still love it and drive like a dream usually.

Thanks again for your help and advice
Darren
dazmac
1st gear
1st gear

Postby goz_83 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:30 pm

lol. It's not often we're all right when we give different answers :)

Atleast when the new gear oil is in there (get good quality stuff, because it will likely never be changed again for the life of the car) and the cable and bracket are all settled in, you can look forward to the next problem ;)

I don't know about the pre and post Sep cables, unless the gx aero replaced the standard gx in sep 95. I'm clutching here though.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Moyvoren » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:53 am

paulkenny wrote:Hi,
A similar problem happened to me a few weeks ago and I couldn't select 2nd, 4th and reverse. It turned out to be the gearbox cable bracket (http://goo.gl/XQO9E). I was able to bodge a fix with a cable tie until my new one arrived from camskill. I got it fitted last week and all is good now.
Cheers,
Paul

Hi I have just had the same thing happen to me this morning on the way to work could you tell me where the bracket that you are talking about might be I have a 95 gpx & neutral is where 2nd & 4th & reverse were i can select 1st 3rd & 5th no problem clutch working perfect
Thank you for your time
Moyvoren
1st gear
1st gear

Postby goz_83 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:48 pm

If you remove the centre console you might see the problem.i doubt its an u see the ad job, but I could be mistaken. It's possible you might need to remove the floor console for better access, which is an easy job.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Moyvoren » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:11 pm

Thanks guys I have sorted the problem now was worried for a minute thought I might need a new gearbox but as luck would have it, it was only the bracket that holds one of the selecter cables
Moyvoren
1st gear
1st gear

Postby goz_83 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:11 pm

Moyvoren wrote:Thanks guys I have sorted the problem now was worried for a minute thought I might need a new gearbox but as luck would have it, it was only the bracket that holds one of the selecter cables

Good news. Was access easy enough?
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Moyvoren » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:43 am

goz_83 wrote:
Moyvoren wrote:Thanks guys I have sorted the problem now was worried for a minute thought I might need a new gearbox but as luck would have it, it was only the bracket that holds one of the selecter cables

Good news. Was access easy enough?

Had to take out the battery & the battery box plate only held in by 4 bolts so I could see the bracket to fix it all in all it was not to hard to do.
Moyvoren
1st gear
1st gear

Return to FTO Technical