break issues

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

break issues

Postby MY-JAP-MISTRESS » Sun May 19, 2013 10:36 am

ok guys bit of a problem. got my mistress all sorted for the mot next week final job was new disc' n pads all round only problem is they seem to be a real tight fit. took her out to bed them in and they wer roasting hot!! had a quick look and thinking the mechanic maybe put a lil too much copper greese on the pads. hope its a quick fix just to take them out and give them a wipe clean. has anyone else had this problem. think it happened to me b4 but cant remember. really gutted about it as my mot is next sat. after the money thats been sunk into her over the last while this is the last thing I need.
MY-JAP-MISTRESS
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Re: break issues

Postby goz_83 » Sun May 19, 2013 3:24 pm

Doubt this will be an MOT issue unless they take the car for a spirited drive, but one to look at in either case.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby MY-JAP-MISTRESS » Sun May 19, 2013 5:37 pm

fingers crossed then. got it in work now so at least I can have a look at it without havin a 40 min drive just to get to it. the breaks work as in it drives and stop's just heat up like mad. gunna have to repaint the calipers again tho as it melted the paint a lil
MY-JAP-MISTRESS
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby MY-JAP-MISTRESS » Tue May 21, 2013 5:33 pm

right had the wheels off and had a look at the breaks again. everything looks ok apart from a rubber seal on 1 of the pistons is on its way out tho dont think that is the problem. can the pads be fitted without the shims? just to give a lil more room. really dont want to be throwing more money at her at the moment because thinking next stop is new calipers
MY-JAP-MISTRESS
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby Kace » Tue May 21, 2013 7:04 pm

Can you not just give it a bit of a spirited run and step very hard on the brakes a few time to wear away a little of the pad. Sure they are tight but they will wear down. Copper Grease and the shims should be fine. Don't be thinking that a little grease is bulking this up to the point that it needs to be removed.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby MY-JAP-MISTRESS » Sat May 25, 2013 4:54 pm

Took it up for mot today and passed no bother at all. Still dont know if the breaks are sorted yet have to wait anf see wen I get it
back on the road again. But very pleased.
MY-JAP-MISTRESS
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Return to FTO Technical