Tradesman's price for 'Processing Insurance Claim'

Use this forum to discuss anything and everything non-FTO related

Moderator: Moderators

Tradesman's price for 'Processing Insurance Claim'

Postby Kace » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:00 pm

Here's one for ye - hopefully someone can put me straight here...

We recently had an underfloor leak and I called the insurer to get advice on next course of action. I found a plumber and he came out to assess one evening and quoted me €400 to put in a temporary repair as trapdoors had to be cut in the floor, so the price was for 1 day of himself and 1 day for a carpenter. The guys did the temporary repair and I then provided details to the insurer who assigned a loss adjuster.

The loss adjuster came a few days later and the plumber called out to meet him and explain the details of the repair, problems and claim. Meeting took about 15 mins at our home for them both to discuss and agree best course of action. I then filled out a claim form from the insurer and added the cost estimate provided to me by the plumber.

Plumber then kept in contact with us very regularly and was also in contact directly with loss adjuster, who he had dealt with before on other claims. A week or so later we got notification from loss adjuster that he was recommending that our claim be processed for a certain amount.

Now that I know the claim should be processed I have asked the plumber for his quote for the job. He provided me with a quote for several '000 but on request also provided me with a breakdown of work completed to date.

This included €600 for the initial callout and temporary repair (not the €400 quoted), as well as an additional €500 for 'processing the insurance claim'.

Now we didn't have anything in writing until now, but the only figure quoted to me so far has been the €400 for the day's work to do the repair. Obviously I'm not happy that he's trying to pull me for €1,100 for 1 days work + 15 minute meeting + a simple quote.

Planning to call him tomorrow to express my 'confusion', but expecting him to try and defend his cost.

Anyone have any experience whether tradesmen normally charge to provide a quote to an insurer like this? I'm all for paying a guy an honest wage for an honest day's work, but this type of exhorbitant pricing for simple non time-consuming work is unjustifiable.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Tradesman's price for 'Processing Insurance Claim'

Postby CJ » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:37 pm

Sounds like a case of a someone taking the p!ss in terms of trying to milk the system. 'Call out charges' are generally a thing of the past but they may still apply and I agree that he should be paid for his time to come out to your place and meet with the assessor. That said, he's obviously bumping up his rate to get a few quid extra out of the deal. Theres nothing wrong with questioning him on this point, you're the customer after all....

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby keenan » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:17 pm

i have a mate and he is a plumer when doing insurance jobs its a high quote and if the customer passes remark he normaly tells them that their not payin the bill its the insurance company and offers them a few quid cash back so both parties are happy... tell him u know he is over charging and u want a cut !
keenan
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby Kace » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:26 pm

The thing in my case though, is that even if I don't go with this guy to get the work done, he's looking for €500 for his part in the claim being processed.
Basically - he is looking to get €1100 in total from me even though the only actual figure he quoted to me for his services was €400 (which I agreed to). Even if if I now get another tradesman to do the job (which I will of be) he's still looking for €1100 yo-yos.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:14 am

keenan wrote:i have a mate and he is a plumer when doing insurance jobs its a high quote and if the customer passes remark he normaly tells them that their not payin the bill its the insurance company and offers them a few quid cash back so both parties are happy... tell him u know he is over charging and u want a cut !

And people wonder why insurance is going up....
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby mcgon1979 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:30 pm

Dave wrote:
keenan wrote:i have a mate and he is a plumer when doing insurance jobs its a high quote and if the customer passes remark he normaly tells them that their not payin the bill its the insurance company and offers them a few quid cash back so both parties are happy... tell him u know he is over charging and u want a cut !

And people wonder why insurance is going up....

seriously. Thats exactly it. Every single claim that's made here in Ireland is tried for the max. It's just as bad as someone claiming back pain and 1 month off work after a bumper tap. take it to the max. Tradesmen do seem to have a different price if they knows its coming through the insurance. I'm sure garages do the same when repairing cars. Different price for the customer, but if its the insurance its a FULL WHACK.
It's just blatantly dishonest. In the USA this "dual pricing" would be seen as fraud. That sort of dishonesty is part and parcel of life in Ireland though. ZZZZzzzz your either "in on the cut" (so to speak) or your a financial loser.
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Return to Off Topic